WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Coleman "Nevados" hiking boots?

Just got an email from Bob's Stores with this ad for Coleman "Nevados" trail shoes. Anyone using these, or even this brand?
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, but I started a similar thread a few years back when pondering the same decision on Nevados boots:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...hlight=nevados

That thread references an even older thread about Nevados boots...

I ended up spending a little more for a discounted lower-end Merrell. Not quite impressed with them either, probably part of why I'm preferring trail runners.

I wouldn't expect much in terms of durability -- but they do look like a proper "trail runner." The price is certainly appealing.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

They look what I call town/office shoes. Good enough for walking to and from in daily life and shoes to be kept clean. I use, and in fact wearing, a low-cut Hi-Tech shoe similar to what you posted.

Not sure I'd want them out on the trail. YMMV.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I bought a pair... the high version as they seemed more comfortable than the low...

If you wear these shoes for a full day, your feet will kill you. I mean, really try to kill you. Mine detached from my ankles while I was sleeping and tried to strangle me. I got them calmed down by promising to buy another pair of Keen boots. Even then, they didn't talk to me for a week afterwards...

Seriously though. The Nevados boots rate as some of the most uncomfortable footwear I've ever worn. No support, no cushion and an odd fit overall. To top it off, they degrade rapidly. I wore mine at work for about three weeks before what little comfort the shoes had in them leaked out and evaporated.

In summation; they are garbage.. and I am no shoe snob in the least.

Images

NO. olord

I like that the add says "uphill, low"... Because I always carry multiple pairs of boots, one for uphill, another for downhill....
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Garlic
    Images

I joined a local volunteer trail construction crew and they have a "must wear boots" requirement. There's not much hiking involved with this crew, just a few miles a day, so I bought a cheap pair at the local Big 5, similar to the Coleman. They're awful! I'd never wear them on a hiking trip. But they're fine if you're not actually hiking.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Hmmmmmmmmmm. One of the first pair of boots I ever bought (on sale) were Nevados. I truly enjoyed them. Got them in VA, I believe, brought them to FL, carried them overseas to use in Germany and finally had to dump them back in FL, as they had worn out.

Mine were comfortable and well made. Granted: this was from '92ish to '01. Maybe the quality control was better. I didn't wear them every day, just every few weeks or so, but hiked many miles in them.

All that being said, I don't remember mine being made by Coleman. Maybe a take-over with lower quality?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Parsimonious curmudgeon Slack-jawed Trog's Avatar
    Images

Don't waste your money on Nevados. I bought a VERY deeply discounted pair at the Kittery Trading Post a few years ago. Worst. Boots. Evah. I don't know what it is about them but before the end of the day, my feet hurt. I think I tried to wear them for a couple of weeks around home, and work thinking they needed a break-in period. I never made it through the first week. They're like new, if I can find them, you can have them. Size 11. LOL, come pick them up or pay the shipping! :-p
    Slack-jawed Troglodyte

++ New Posts ++