WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Oct/Nov Grayson Highlands Trip

I'm planning an 86.5 mile southbound hike from Va.42 to Damascus Va. the last week in October or the first week in November. Really looking forward to Grayson Highlands! I need a shuttle recommendation and a place to stay upon arriving in Damascus Friday night. I would like to leave my car in Damascus and shuttle to Va. 42 Saturday morning. Also any input on the water situation on this stretch is appreciated. I'm sending a resupply box to the post office in Troutdale. My low mileage day is 7 miles and my max mileage is 14.5....this could change depending on lots of stuff.

A/T Spike

I used MRO last nov to shuttle hiked sobo 40 miles back to damascus...just over 2 days....my favorite section! Enjoy.. Left car at there hostle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe a gentleman on this forum by the user name of Lone Wolf does an occasional shuttle from Damascus. I want to do a southbound hike to end in Damascus as well! I was thinking of starting around Mt Rogers.

VA 603-fox creek sobo 40 miles to Damascus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

That'll be a great hike!! It's a wonderful section! Enjoy!!

~Boots~
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

9-13 Oct I did the Grayson loop. Water will NOT be a problem.

I just got back from this section. I recommend Woodchuck Hostel to stay. The owner, Chuck, also provides shuttles. Water should not be a problem. Everything was flowing nicely as I passed through there. If you are looking for some reading, feel free to check out my site below. I have been blogging about each day's journey. I hit Grayson later on in my trip so those reports have not been posted yet. Happy Trails! It was a spectacular section.

I agree with the Woodchuck Hostel recommendation. He is awesome!

We had planned on doing a portion of this section on Nov 1st and 2nd. However, we were going to camp at Grayson Highlands on the 1st. I called yesterday and the campgrounds are closed for a big hunt on Saturday.

I have only stayed at Woodchuck's before. Unfortunately, he's now closed for the season. I'm not sure how the other hostels in Damascus would compare. I came onto this forum to find some feedback. So your post is perfect timing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by A/T Spike View Post
    I'm planning an 86.5 mile southbound hike from Va.42 to Damascus Va. the last week in October or the first week in November. Really looking forward to Grayson Highlands! I need a shuttle recommendation and a place to stay upon arriving in Damascus Friday night. I would like to leave my car in Damascus and shuttle to Va. 42 Saturday morning. Also any input on the water situation on this stretch is appreciated. I'm sending a resupply box to the post office in Troutdale. My low mileage day is 7 miles and my max mileage is 14.5....this could change depending on lots of stuff.

A/T Spike
    what day/time would you need the shuttle? i shuttle cheaper than anyone. Hikers Inn is a good place to stay

Journal Entries
    Images

Lonewolf has shuttle me several times, very affordable & dependable.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Thanks for all the replies. I have a Friday stay and Saturday morning shuttle setup with Woodchuck Hostel. He closes for the season the end of Oct. I have a planned Tuesday resupply package waiting at the post office in Troutdale. How's the water/spring situation around Davis Campsite? I see on the map there's water about a mile further south. Are there any campsites around the spring?
    Thanks,
    A/T Spike

I just finished my hike in Marion at the Partnership shelter. Water is flowing like crazy. Water is not going to be an issue. I only carried a liter at a time. I hiked from Pearisburg to Marion. Good luck!

++ New Posts ++