WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chiggers

Default Chiggers

Does anyone have problems with these critters...I get them everytime I hike in the woods...either on my feet or waistline. This last time I did not get any on my feet as I kept my socks on the entire time. However around my waistline both sides...anyway to prevent.

Wear long pants.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

THEY ARE EVIL LITTLE BUGGERS. worked on a golf coarse in NJ and got them several times a year, while others who worked next to me never got a single bite. there is a lightweight clothing called rhino...something. that's what I would look into. otherwise I just stay out of the woods until we have at least 2 killing frosts.

RUNT ''13''

i will look for those....i did wear long pants and kept my shirt tucked in.....they are a pain.

www.rynoskin.com/

RUNT ''13''

I do a lot of hiking in SFL and the chiggers will just tear you up. This is what we use with great success.
    http://www.chiggaway.com/
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

wear long pants, and tuck in your pant cuffs under your socks, or wear some kind of elastic band or rubber bands around the bottom of your pant legs. Tuck in your shirt. Don't give those *astards any avenue to get in to your skin. Do not sit on the ground during your hike in the woods. If you must rest somewhere, find a nice sunny rock surface, they do not like hot rocky surfaces. Use some kind of insect repellent such as DEET, or sulfur powder on your ankles, feet, and waist area. I've hiked years in NW Florida, and endured massive chigger attacks, even after trying all the insect repellents, and usually these attacks are worst when I get lazy and forget to do all the steps I've described above. Chigger bites itch like crazy, leave nasty red welts, and take a couple-3 weeks to go away. Yuk!!

Quote Originally Posted by foxiedoxie View Post
    Does anyone have problems with these critters...I get them everytime I hike in the woods...either on my feet or waistline. This last time I did not get any on my feet as I kept my socks on the entire time. However around my waistline both sides...anyway to prevent.
    For some reason they seem to hate sulpher. It will stink though. Either start eating some before the hike which it will sweat out and/or dusting it around the ankles and those areas prone to getting bit.
    Google it for ideas and how to deal with the itching.

If you get them, apply alcohol then rub with sugar sand (very fine sand). The chiggers get drunk and kill each other throwing rocks.

foxiedoxie, one way to prevent chiggers is to understand where you might pick them up. For example, that rotten log that is around the campfire is actually full of them. Spread out your poncho and then sit down. The same with sitting on the ground. They do not seem to make it across a poncho. Stay out of the blackberry bushes unless you have your pants tucked into your socks and long sleeves. That is another place to pick them up. If you sort of watch where you go in the woods and avoid the places that they hang out, then you will not get the little bites. I agree, they do itch when you get them. Best of luck and good hiking.

Permathrin! Treat your clothes. It works.

From what I have experienced and have read, they will burrow down into socks. Any time I have gotten them it was times that I had sat on the ground to eat or did some bushwhacking. As mentioned above, permethrin will help, as would Deet. Chiggers are vile, and the resulting itch can be unbearable. Benadryl helps with the itch.

i think its the logs around the fireplace where we sit and eat...the poncho seems like a good idea along with some of the deet and permethrin...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    If you get them, apply alcohol then rub with sugar sand (very fine sand). The chiggers get drunk and kill each other throwing rocks.
    LMAO!!! Now THAT is funny!

u.w.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Chiggers try my soul!!!

I have tried the spray bottle permethrin from Walmart with poor results. I'm going out again this weekend. This time I soaked my cloths in a bucket of water/spray mixed and dried them in the drier.
    On the sulphur lead: I have ordered a pound of pure sulphur powder. The methodology I found was to mix with honey and take a spoonful a day for a week, once a week for a month and once a month forever (I think I remember correctly. Once a day for a week for sure) The sulphur should get here just before I leave. To soon for the full treatment, but I'll do something.

I'll report in next week on results.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

No need to eat the sulphur. Yuck! Mix 1 part powdered sulphur with about 9 parts talc, baby powder, or cornstarch. Dust waist line, socks, and ankles. You can put the mix in a small talc container for dusting.

If you are in thick brush, tape your pants legs to your socks using athletic tape, duct tape, or other tape. Sulphur also helps keep seed ticks away. Combine with permethrin treated clothes for a dynamite combo to keep chiggers and most ticks away.

I worked outdoors a lot and used sulphur for over 40 years. Works even for picking blackberries.

After washing hang clothes to dry a few times. The heat from a clothes dryer sets the sulfur smell.

Dan

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

thesulphur came today. I mixed up a batch of sugar water, cream of tartar and sulphur (didn't have honey in stock) it is surprisingly tasteless. But it doesn't stay blended.

M.D. I will also mix with talc and generously dust my socks I may even cut up some old bike inner tubes for garters.

We gonna kick some chigger ass!!
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Journal Entries

You are kidding right?
    Treat your pants with permetrin. Treat your shoes and socks with permetrin. Treat your shirt with permethrin . you likely wont have any issues.

With trail runners with open mesh, my feet got ate up once, and only once , before I began treating shoes and socks.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Wear long pants.
    nope it doesn't work - they are truly evil...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    I do a lot of hiking in SFL and the chiggers will just tear you up. This is what we use with great success.
    http://www.chiggaway.com/

Nice find Milkman... that is very cool!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++