WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: 43 hikers dead.

Default 43 hikers dead.

Not thats it related to the AT but I think out of respect to all hikers we should honor those that died hiking.

43 confirmed dead so far.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/situati...l-rises-to-43/

With the Everest avalanche killing many not so long ago this just puts salt on a open wound.

A sad day for the hiking community!
    Last edited by JohnnySnook; 10-19-2014 at 02:42.

Some places are flat out dangerous. Like Everest. You have to know and accept the risks.

This one happened on the Annapurna trek of course, not Everest, a circ I've done 3 times and not considered dangerous.
    It's most unfortunate and some news reports I read are trying to put blame on the weather prediction there.
    If you've ever been to Nepal, it's hard to believe that they would have meteorologists trying to predict storms in the so many different parts of the Himalayas.
    I've been in chest deep snow there and, it's hard to break trail of course.
    Luckily, I only had to go about a 1/2 mile in it and there were 5 of us to take turns.

RIP to the trekkers who died.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

This was a trekkers trail and not a technical route. In high season no less. That's what makes this tragedy so much more terrible. People were doing something no more dangerous than walking any well defined trail in prime hiking season.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-19-2014 at 11:52.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I would have to disagree a bit and say that trekking in Nepal, or anyplace similar (less developed countries), is inherently going to be more dangerous than walking a well defined trail say in the US or western Europe. Mostly, IMO, in this case, due to proximity of the Himalayan mountains, the elevation, avalanche dangers that may not be mitigated to the extent they are in some other areas, and the fact that you are in a foreign country that doesn't operate by the same safety and/or rescue standards westerners may be used to. There are risks when going to places such as Nepal that may not be readily apparent at first thought.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ht-deaths.html
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 10-19-2014 at 12:22.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I would have to disagree a bit and say that trekking in Nepal, or anyplace similar (less developed countries), is inherently going to be more dangerous than walking a well defined trail say in the US or western Europe. Mostly, IMO, in this case, due to proximity of the Himalayan mountains, the elevation, avalanche dangers that may not be mitigated to the extent they are in some other areas, and the fact that you are in a foreign country that doesn't operate by the same safety and/or rescue standards westerners may be used to. There are risks when going to places such as Nepal that may not be readily apparent at first thought.
    People who have done the Annpurna circuit told me it is really well defined. Easier in some ways than an American hiking path (other than acclimation) Heck, there are pretty decent roads up there now. This is NOT technical climbing.

As for the avalanche danger, that may be more to something else I won't mention as it is up their with guns and religion in terms of hot button topics!!!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I have to agree with 4eyedbuzzard on this one.

The day I crossed Thorung La Pass was one of the most dangerous days of my life. Granted, it was outside the normal trekking season for that route but I think I got a feel for how quickly it can turn from a "just follow the trail hike" to a life and death situation. The major challenges were exhaustion from deep snow, route-finding, cold, altitude and a very real threat of a fatal slide down steep slopes.

The elevation itself is a huge factor. In this study 63% of trekkers going over the pass suffered from Acute Mountain Sickness. Many have lost their lives to AMS in that area.

I think the perceived "ease" of the Annapurna Circuit lulls many people into underestimating the risks.

One little village I passed had recently been partially destroyed by a rock-slide. I was told that there had been torrential rains, and a local had insisted that trekkers leave because of the threat of rock-slides. He led many to the next village before the rock-slide killed a number of people that had remained.

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    I have to agree with 4eyedbuzzard on this one.

The day I crossed Thorung La Pass was one of the most dangerous days of my life. Granted, it was outside the normal trekking season for that route
    Not to nit pick. But that's like saying the San Juans are dangerous...and, by the way, I hiked them in April. :O
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I'd say it may not be more dangerous simply because this has been a gruesome hiking season in upstate New York as well: a half-dozen falls off the Catskill Escarpment. (Just because you're ordinarily safer on the trail than in town doesn't mean the trail isn't still a dangerous place, so be careful out there!)

Prayers for the 43 and their families.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Here's the earlier incident I was thinking of. It killed 11 villagers and 9 trekkers.

The fellow who convinced the surviving trekkers to move out of the path of that landslide was a real hero.

Death happens. At least they were doing something they enjoyed at the time.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

This may be relevant to your interests if you are considering trekking in Nepal: http://www.timesofisrael.com/nepal-t...fter-disaster/
    Trillium

Section Hiker

I am observing a moment of peace in honor of those who lost their lives.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Journal Entries
    Images

Another article, with video of the area showing snow cover.

http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure...VAZ21haWwuY29t

++ New Posts ++