WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Hiker real time tracking app???

I often organize large groups of hikers. These hikers are responsible for their own pathfinding, so it is a social event that we wish to stick together. Sometimes hikers get separated from the group and would like to find their way back. I do hike in many areas with great cell coverage.

I am looking for a app that will allow the hikers real time access to my location via my (iphone) and on their end a mobile web page or a app they can DL on both Android or iOS. This app I am willing to pay on my end if needed but would really almost need to be free for them. I figure there must be some real time tracking of hikers app but can not find any, even a child tracking app as long as I can turn it off after the hike.

(I realize this may deplete the battery fast on my phone but I would carry a recharger - so a non-issue)

Don't know if such a thing exists. Guthook is the closest app I know of . US cellular has tracking devise for cell phone. I am sure other carriers have em too.

ViewRanger maybe the app you seek. I have not field tested it but it seems to claim to do what you require.

Journal Entries

I tried out Glympse which was a recommendation from another forum, Some other suggestions seemed too complex for the end user, appeared to have too steep a learning curve and some would not install on my iPhone 4 due to not updating iOS. here is my review:

GPS tracking app review.

Hi xxxx, Recently on 2 hikes/events I allowed myself to be tracked via a gps smartphone app (Glympse). I was asked to let us know how it went. I was hoping it would allow hikers to know where I was real time on a Google map on their smartphone and find their way back to me if they got separated from the group. Perhaps this could be used further also for new types of events.

Before I go into how it worked for the above purpose, I need to say it is a strange feeling to know one is being tracked, Actually very strange. It was something I was good with but it is a such a unusual feeling that I need to mention it as some may be uncomfortable with, so be prepared if you try.

The practical aspect on the hiking trail is limited, because it does not show the tracker's position on the map (only the 'trackee'), so it makes it hard for the hiker to navigate towards me (this may improve with later versions). Add to that the maps don't have the trail system (though Google is improving this and has added some trails), and is a great drain on my iPhone's battery (I had to bring a recharger case and use it).

With the above said, 3 hikers who arrived late used this to locate the group. I would not expect many hikers to be able to use it that way with out their location also on the map, but these had enough experience to do so. (note to White Blaze readers - these are usually hikers with not much experience)

On the plus side a simple web link emailed is all that is needed, the smartphone can be used to 'click' on that and see the map. So it is very simple on that respect.

I would say that this app is far better for meeting up at the trail head and after trail festivities then practical use on the trail, at least for now but I will be looking for a better solution.

Starchild

Keep looking Starchild. Neraly everything is being tracked these days. I'm sure someone has an app or tarcking system that you could use.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post

With the above said, 3 hikers who arrived late used this to locate the group. I would not expect many hikers to be able to use it that way with out their location also on the map, but these had enough experience to do so. (note to White Blaze readers - these are usually hikers with not much experience)

Starchild
    aah, well there is always this.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

https://www.life360.com/tour/

Not quite, but warmer...

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    https://www.life360.com/tour/

Not quite, but warmer...
    yeah, don't most smart phones come with a "Find your Friends" app

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    built right in.

Journal Entries

This is Apple only, I need a cross platform app, or a mobile web page link.

Additionally it requires iOS 8, which is a upgrade I am not ready for.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Did you check out Life360?

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    This is Apple only, I need a cross platform app, or a mobile web page link.

Additionally it requires iOS 8, which is a upgrade I am not ready for.
    Aah, that must be why I don't have it...not runin' ISO 8.

Look up IFTTT. It's an app that couples apps together. One app triggers an action in another app. Example-An android device can be set to mute when you get to work. This is a location based rule. It works with 140 different "apps". Some are device based like emails and calendars while some are cross operating system like FB.

I just found it today so I haven't fiddled with it but it looks pretty cool. It has Android location and ios location, plus some of the apps you can use are group based like group sms text and other working group tools.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Can we talk about cuben fiber and UL graphite trekking poles now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Can we talk about cuben fiber and UL graphite trekking poles now?
    Aw com'n Dogwood, IFTTT has a Stocks app, you could couple that with a text app to get your stock prices in real time. You know you want it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Those typically require all the phones to be on and inside cell tower reception. Wander outside of the cell coverage zone and they don't like to work well. There are some applications now that allow you to track people, cars, pets, etc., in real time, but those are specialized devices that require the use of computer and are "one way" type (broadcast only) and the one being tracked cannot see themselves or others. There was some talk about development of a smart phone/GPS application but I have not seen anything more on that in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Those typically require all the phones to be on and inside cell tower reception. Wander outside of the cell coverage zone and they don't like to work well. There are some applications now that allow you to track people, cars, pets, etc., in real time, but those are specialized devices that require the use of computer and are "one way" type (broadcast only) and the one being tracked cannot see themselves or others. There was some talk about development of a smart phone/GPS application but I have not seen anything more on that in a while.
    Aye.......

++ New Posts ++