WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

If you can train your dog to be comfortable in the woods and not feel like it has to protect you from every little sound and strange person that comes along and not to chase wildlife (more then a few dogs have been lost after they run after something and can't find their way back), it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Speaking of dogs which run off and can't find their way back, it's probably a good idea to train your dog to return to the sound of a whistle, which will carry much farther then you shouting "get back here fluffy".

Weekend / day hiker dogs are usually the worst offenders as they are often not trained very well. Their not out there long enough or often enough to become comfortable with being in the woods or encountering non-family members. A lot of it depends on the temperament of the breed - and the owner.

OTOH, after a week or two a thru hiker dog is so tired at the end of the day all it wants to do is go to sleep. That first week or two while it gets used to the idea if not conditioned first can be a problem though.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    HIKING DOGS IS A MAJOR ISSUE, HUNTING DOGS NONE ISSUE
    Hunting dogs do serious damage, as a currently-running thread here attests. Hunting dogs can get lost, and that's pretty bad news for the dog, and a tough choice for a hiker that finds one. (Happened to me near Brown Fork Gap shelter.)

I've encountered dogs at shelters and campsites who were friendly and well controlled and no problem whatsoever. These were pets with responsible owners. I would have to say on balance that most dog encounters on the trail and at camp... I could have done without. Feral dogs, poorly controlled pet dogs, can be a royal PITA. Your "well-behaved" dog may not be seen as such by every hiker he/she encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Hunting dogs do serious damage, as a currently-running thread here attests. Hunting dogs can get lost, and that's pretty bad news for the dog, and a tough choice for a hiker that finds one. (Happened to me near Brown Fork Gap shelter.)

I've encountered dogs at shelters and campsites who were friendly and well controlled and no problem whatsoever. These were pets with responsible owners. I would have to say on balance that most dog encounters on the trail and at camp... I could have done without. Feral dogs, poorly controlled pet dogs, can be a royal PITA. Your "well-behaved" dog may not be seen as such by every hiker he/she encounters.
    I have said my peace, I have my opinion and you have your opinion, I just wished I could met one of those nice hiking dogs. where is that currently running hunting dog thread.
    HUNTING DOGS NON ISSUE. HIKNG DOGS MAJOR ISSUE

Journal Entries

I have two dogs and love to see them run and frolic in the yard, at the river or at the beach.

My major consideration for NOT taking either one backpacking is that they will lower your occurrence of seeing wildlife, and having seen some awesome things in the past, I would never have had that experience with dogs around. Animals know a lot sooner than we do that other animals are around, and they'll smell your dog and disappear long before you get close enough to see them.

It's always nice to have my dog around, but dealing with one on the trail for months on end would be like having a child along. Lots of work.

That being said, HYOH.

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 using Tapatalk4

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Keep in mind that WhiteBlaze isn't the trail. Discussions here don't reflect reality in the woods. Really, the issues are courtesy and responsibility. Be responsible for your dog and his behavior. Be courteous towards others. Go hike.
    Right on.

Sadly Whiteblaze has a tendency towards negative feedback. The actual Trail community is much different. Doesn't mean you can't learn a thing or two from this site - just that you have to keep your guard up and know how to filter through threads. Take your new pup on overnights now and longer sections as he gets older, THEN you will experience firsthand what it is like out there.

On the subject of training that you mentioned. It does not diminish a dog's spirit like you seemed to hint that it does. Only a heavy handed, ill-tempered, and inconsistent trainer would do such a thing. Which unfortunately can and does happen. Not every trainer is created equal...
    My dog's training keeps him and I safe. It is that simple. If I ever had a dog that ran at someone that was afraid of dogs - the dog could be hurt and I'm responsible. If I had a dog that I allowed to chase wildlife - again, another health and safety risk to which I alone am responsible.

Not training a dog to be well-mannered has consequences. Only question is if you can live with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    An observation from me is that you want your dog to be a dog. It sounds (to me) like you are more worried about your dog's "feelings" than some human's feelings or safety.
    That was also the impression I got from the OP. Perhaps that was not intended?

For the OP: Some tips on how to not let your dog be a pest on the trail.

1) Train a flawless recall. If they will not come when called, no matter what, they do not get off leash privileges.
    2) If the trail is busy/crowded, keep your dog on leash for better control
    3) If you will be passed by someone, get well off the trail and hold your dog. Don't let them "say hi". Not everyone likes dogs and some are scared of them.
    4) Socialize heavily, go to puppy class, etc.
    5) Accept that even with all the training in the world, you may find your canine companion to not be a good hiking companion and accept that
    6) Be weather aware - dogs overheat faster than people

I personally would avoid group camping in shelters with a dog. I think it sets you and the dog up for failure. It's really hard for a dog to be good when there are delicous smells and new people to visit.

Also...on a note I learned the hard way, carry bear spray. Close at hand. You may not need it for bears but other dogs, well...last thing you want is an injured dog miles from help.

The answer is no, your dog will not be welcome. Leash laws are there for a reason. I do not want to meet your dog no matter how you might feel about him/her. Keep him or her on leash or not at all.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    LBR let me start out by saying that I do enjoy dogs; however I am wary of dogs I don't know, having been the victim of an unprovoked attack by a dog that I was told is "very friendly". They did not take into account that the dog might not response well to a stranger in the moments before she delivered puppies. As a consequence I have two quarter-size scars in my right calf. I would not want to deny someone the pleasure of hiking with their four-legged companion as long as they are 100% under your control, preferable leashed for those moments when dogs can't help being dogs.
    Uh so it wasn't on a trail right? Most dogs on a trail are well behaved as they are away from their territory.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    An observation from me is that you want your dog to be a dog. It sounds (to me) like you are more worried about your dog's "feelings" than some human's feelings or safety.
    Bingo. I don't know the OP but I get the same sense from the opening post. You may love your dog very dearly but don't make the mistake of assuming that everybody else shares that feeling.

As for Whiteblaze being representative of the "larger" hiking community on this matter, I would assert that yes, it is. Well-trained dogs are *usually* not an issue. Most of the issues are in the nuisance category, but there have been several times when I've felt physically threatened by dogs, and was prepared to defend myself against aggressive dogs off-leash. I don't like to hear dogs barking when I'm in the woods, or any time, really. It's not a pleasant sound.

I remember the first time me my wife and pup went on the trail. We did 100mile section. I was kind of afraid to take the pup on the trail because of everything I read on WB. So I would not let my pup get near anyone around the shelter. Funny thing was all the thrus who were there totally enjoyed my pouch. Now of course she was on a leash. She did not jump on the folks or their gear nor did she eat anyone food. She slept with us in the tent. She learned not to even notice hikers passing... that is unless they bend over to pet her... 100 miles is the longest hike she has been on. I don't think a thru would be good for my dog even though she high stepped every single mile. Good luck with your pouch

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Bingo. I don't know the OP but I get the same sense from the opening post. You may love your dog very dearly but don't make the mistake of assuming that everybody else shares that feeling.

As for Whiteblaze being representative of the "larger" hiking community on this matter, I would assert that yes, it is. Well-trained dogs are *usually* not an issue. Most of the issues are in the nuisance category, but there have been several times when I've felt physically threatened by dogs, and was prepared to defend myself against aggressive dogs off-leash. I don't like to hear dogs barking when I'm in the woods, or any time, really. It's not a pleasant sound.
    I have seen aggressive dogs on the trail too. Scares the crap out of me. We were coming off of blood mt there were many day hiker going up to the top. Small woman passes with a very big german shepherd that she tried to keep under control. Dog was on a leash but the dog was in control. We made it past with no problem. Maybe because we had purpose and confidence as we past. A moment latter another day hike comes by with a frail wippet. As we hiked down the Mt. we heard this god awful sound. That shepherd tore into the whippet and it was over. So sad

I was relaxed and mellow, taking in the gorgeous view from Puffer shelter on the LT a couple of summers back. The shelter is just off the trail and faces away from the trail. It's getting a bit late, maybe 7 PM-ish. I'm alone and not really expecting company. From out of nowhere, an energetic dog leaps into the shelter and starts knocking over my stuff. Not a big dog, maybe 20 lbs. Still spooked the *%&^ outta me for a moment. I didn't fear for my safety, but it kinda killed the zen of the moment and didn't make me feel any more charitable toward the dog's owner, who casually strolled in a few moments later.

Your awesome canine companion isn't always appreciated by other hikers.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Uh so it wasn't on a trail right? Most dogs on a trail are well behaved as they are away from their territory.
    No WOO it wasn't a trail related incidence. It was around the time I was 15 y.o. And I didn't hike at the time. Fast forward 41 years and I am still wary of dogs and people who tell me their dog is "very friendly" because of this one incidence. I confess most of the dogs I have run into on the trail have all been leashed and been no problem. I have run into a few who acted aggressively and had to warn one person that if they stayed close enough to me that their animal lunged at me again I would be forced to take action. I had a pretty good sized walking stick in hand at the time. Fortunately they put some distance between us and my resolve was not put to the test. But, as I said, most have not been an issue because they were controlled and on a leash.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

I can only answer for myself. I am a professional dog trainer and as such I love dogs as much as one can.

It really comes down to you and how much you respect your fellow hikers. If you keep your dog in control and don't allow it to bother others, no problems with me.

But,if you feel that every hiker wants your dogs wet nose in their face or muddy feet on their bag etc. then we would have issues. Many people are either afraid of dogs or just don't want dogs bothering them. Those people have a right to enjoy their vacation. I feel you, as a dog owner, have a responsibility to respect the fact not everyone wants your pooch in their face. This doesn't mean calling the dog off them when they seem afraid, it means keeping your dog away so they never have to feel afraid. Unless someone specifically asks to say hi, allowing your dog to visit everyone is, IMO, irresponsible. Unfortunately, I see too few owners who respect their fellow human beings enough to keep their dogs from bothering people and it is a real shame. That is why dogs are sometimes unwelcome.

Happy hiking,

Arch

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I have said my peace, I have my opinion and you have your opinion, I just wished I could met one of those nice hiking dogs. where is that currently running hunting dog thread.
    HUNTING DOGS NON ISSUE. HIKNG DOGS MAJOR ISSUE
    Seems the Kallin's dog was well behaved and well liked.

http://kallinfamily.com
    They didn't sleep in shelters and that make a difference. Not many hike the trail actually camping and not staying shelters.

1 dog, one 7 year old girl, and one 9 year old boy made the whole trip. Haven't heard many negative comments about them. Then a gain they mostly just left other hikers in their dust.

Some people just don't like dogs. If they like hunting dogs more than hiking dogs that is scary. There's a reason hunting dogs are locked in cages and rarely allowed around children???

Seems maybe you should re-think your thoughts.

Just saying...
    Last edited by JohnnySnook; 10-21-2014 at 04:11.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySnook View Post

1 dog, one 7 year old girl, and one 9 year old boy made the whole trip. Haven't heard many negative comments about them.
    I met Buddy Backpacker (5 yr old, finished at 6 yr youngest thru hiker of the AT), and family and adored them. Could it be in the case you mentioned also that they had children hikers that made it a positive experience, even perhaps despite that they had a dog with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I met Buddy Backpacker (5 yr old, finished at 6 yr youngest thru hiker of the AT), and family and adored them. Could it be in the case you mentioned also that they had children hikers that made it a positive experience, even perhaps despite that they had a dog with them?
    No. It seems their dog was well controlled and respected on the trip. I'm sure the kids were more of problem. Luckily they didn't sleep in shelters. Kids waking up at 2 am, 3am, 4am, and finally once wired woke up would of been worse.

They Kallin's are true hikers! This is their second thru hike. With Kids! With a dog! Please let me know if you can find any complaints.

Images

Will my dog and I be welcomed.
    Not by all. My daughter thru hiked in 2013 with her dog for only 300 miles. Dogs get hiker hunger and some hikers will feed your dog making your dog start begging from everyone. Your dog will want to lie down in the water source, hard to stop. Your dog may develop sore feet and not want to hike, and just lie down. At her first bear sighting the dog took off and was gone for 30 min. This was very scary not knowing if they got in a fight or not. towns and rides were difficult. Just think about a wet dog, down bag and tight tent. The dog went home.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++