WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default what to carry on a three day trip

what all do u carry in ur pack. how much food and what food. extra cloths. what should my pack weigh

It is impossible to answer what you should bring and what clothing you should have without knowing where and when you're hiking. I'll link to my normal 3 season load that keeps me warm down to high 20's as an example only. Just remember that while the base gear may be applicable these clothing choices could be completely wrong for where you're hiking. http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=21088

Any number of figures can be thrown out about what your pack "should" weigh but they might not line up with what equipment you have and what $$ you can spend on different stuff. A general rule that gets thrown out is keep the pack at or below 30% of your body weight. I'm of the opinion that, within reason (not starting a thru-hike and not so heavy that it'll cause a lasting injury) it is much better to get out there and move a little slower with a heavier pack, than to not go at all because you heard on the internet that your pack is too heavy.

As far as food goes there are many options here too. A significant consideration is calories for the weight. Most people aim to carry around two pounds of food per day. Looking for foods that average 100 calories per ounce is a good way to hit this goal. Check out the cooking & food forum for more on this as there are too many options to list all of here, though I can share a few things I would take on a typical hike:

BREAKFAST: Pop tarts, instant oatmeal, instant coffee & hot chocolate, trail mix

LUNCH: Tortillas (nearly indestructible) with- nutella, peanut butter, tuna, meat and cheese, etc. trail mix, energy bars

DINNER: Knorr pasta/rice sides, couscous, Hamburger helper, occasional Backpacker's Pantry meal when I feel like splurging.

IT depends what time of year I am hiking in, my summer set up weighs around 20lbs, my winter set up weighs around 30lbs. it's hard to answer your question not knowing when and where you'll be hiking.
    HYOH

1) sleeping bag
    2) sleeping pad
    3) tent with ground cloth
    4) camp/sleeping clothes (you hiking clothes will likely be wet or damp and you need something dry to change into)
    5) rain jacket
    6) warm layer - fleece jacket/wool shirt/vest. Depends on time of year and expected weather conditions
    8) warm hat and gloves depending on time of year
    9) cooking gear - stove, fuel, cook pot, spoon, knife, lighter and so on
    10) water bottles or bladder
    11) water treatment or filter
    12) Trail guide and/or maps
    13) headlamp and spare flashlight
    14) optional electronics - phone, tablet, MP3 player, camera
    15) OTC pain killers and any other required medicines.
    16) couple of bandanas
    17) 50 feet of light rope to hang food

3 day trip - bottle of bourbon and recreational herbs.

That more or less covers the important things...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Don't forget toothpaste/brush/floss. Toilet paper, hand sanitizer.

Journal Entries

sorry guys it will be fall hiking in the georgia area

Quote Originally Posted by barefooter333 View Post
    sorry guys it will be fall hiking in the georgia area
    Something bright orange like a pack cover...hunting season.

one extra days worth of food....or not.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    one extra days worth of food....or not.
    Hah! As you may know, I'm the "or not" guy. I enjoy heading out of the woods just slightly hungry, having eaten my last nut several hours ago.

One variable for me is solo or a group. I tend to pack more if with a group, since I'll probably be spending more time in camp and probably waiting for slower hikers. I also tend to pack more, paradoxically, for shorter trips. If I'm going to carry something for months, I look at it very closely. Short hikes usually entail bringing some form of entertainment, often of the liquid variety.

My long weekend autumn pack will weigh right around ten pounds base weight, five or six pounds of food, and usually no more than two pounds of water. Going with my spouse or buddies will add a couple more pounds. So twenty pounds max.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Food selection also depends on your style of hiking, and the balance of hiking vs. camping. If you're not making lots of miles and spending lots of time in camp, you'll probably be doing some noshing and or cooking with all that free time. By contrast, serious long distance hikers put in lots of miles and have a spartan camp, with simple meals optimized for maximum calories, minimum carrying weight, quick cooking -- and usually bland and unexciting as meals go.

Some hikers (myself included) have diminished appetite on short (3 day) hikes so I plan accordingly. There's zero chance of starvation on a three day hike, unless I get terminally lost in the woods. If a bear gets my food bag, I'll hike to town on the next road crossing or blue blaze.

For dinner on day one, hikers often allow themselves the luxury of prepared food, eg. a sub sandwich, lasagna, beer, wine, or fruit. It just needs to survive the trip up to the first shelter or campsite. You don't worry about it "going bad" because you consume it within a few hours of buying it.

I've heard the figure of 2 lbs. of food per day (carrying weight.) Personally I think that's a bit high, but I'm not a starving nobo thru-hiker in Maine.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barefooter333 View Post
    what all do u carry in ur pack. how much food and what food. extra cloths. what should my pack weigh
    Hmmm. Trip length is irrelevant. Same pack for all. Only difference is the season, and the amount of food.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    My long weekend autumn pack will weigh right around ten pounds base weight, five or six pounds of food, and usually no more than two pounds of water. Going with my spouse or buddies will add a couple more pounds. So twenty pounds max.
    Garlic, you have a LOT of experience -- possibly more years hiking than our O.P. has been alive One doesn't get down to a ten pound base weight at the beginning.

-------

To the OP:

Here are some good places to start: The Beginner's page by Mags at this link. The "Mountain Crossings Method" at this link. And finally, a basic gear page aimed at Scouts on Backpacking Light, but it works just as well for anyone.

Try to borrow or rent gear for a first trip. If you're at a college, there is often a rec sports office that can rent gear, or try a local outfitter. You probably already have some of the clothing you need, as "outdoor" clothing is pretty popular.

It would be great if your total pack weight were around 30 or 35 pounds for a three day hike at first. That's manageable for most folks, and it takes into account not having access to the latest and greatest superultralight gear.

Have fun on the trip!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Three days isn't long enough for me to worry much about food. I'm probably going to eat on the way, and on the way home. In "real life" I'm a big eater, but don't have much appetite the first few days on the trail. For 3 days, a dinner or two, half pound of trail mix or Reeses Pieces and half a dozen granola bars, a couple of packs of oatmeal, and maybe some coffee or hot chocolate are more than enough for me. Last time I actually weighed my food for an overnighter, it was something like 12oz. BUT, being out for a short period, food weight isn't really a consideration, so it doesn't have to be so minimal. Sometimes I take apples, a tiny cutting board, and those little tubs of Jif Chocolate Silk for putting on apple slices-love it.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Hah! As you may know, I'm the "or not" guy. I enjoy heading out of the woods just slightly hungry, having eaten my last nut several hours ago.

One variable for me is solo or a group. I tend to pack more if with a group, since I'll probably be spending more time in camp and probably waiting for slower hikers. I also tend to pack more, paradoxically, for shorter trips. If I'm going to carry something for months, I look at it very closely. Short hikes usually entail bringing some form of entertainment, often of the liquid variety.

I so get where your coming from (the decision to go light) but my contention has with these type decisions has always been...will that extra 2 lbs. of food, luxury item, extra pair of socks, or what have you break the camels back? Most people who hike are very able bodied and reasonably fit. So to go from your 20 lbs. to 22 lbs. is so negligible it blows my mind that someone wouldn't carry some extra rations, or first aid wears at the expense of sayin' "Hey, I'm at 20 lbs" Stuff happens, you fall off a ledge, break a leg, knock your self out on your last leg of a trip with 20 miles to go, it just started snowing as you wake up...getting dark, and then you remember...I took the extra meal outta my pack and left it cause I wanted to go as light as possible. To my way of thinking it is illogical, and shouldn't be considered a style, but rather taking a chance...yours to take, and that's why I say I get it, I respect it. I just don't agree with it.

Images

I so get where your coming from (the decision to go light) but my contention has with these type decisions has always been...will that extra 2 lbs. of food, luxury item, extra pair of socks, or what have you break the camels back? Most people who hike are very able bodied and reasonably fit. So to go from your 20 lbs. to 22 lbs. is so negligible it blows my mind that someone wouldn't carry some extra rations, or first aid wears at the expense of sayin' "Hey, I'm at 20 lbs" Stuff happens, you fall off a ledge, break a leg, knock your self out on your last leg of a trip with 20 miles to go, it just started snowing as you wake up...getting dark, and then you remember...I took the extra meal outta my pack and left it cause I wanted to go as light as possible. To my way of thinking it is illogical, and shouldn't be considered a style, but rather taking a chance...yours to take, and that's why I say I get it, I respect it. I just don't agree with it.
    Hiking during winter/cold weather, I always have surplus food/clothing. However, during long summer hikes on the AT, I like to roll into town with an empty water bottle, and nothing but dust in my food bag...

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Hiking during winter/cold weather, I always have surplus food/clothing. However, during long summer hikes on the AT, I like to roll into town with an empty water bottle, and nothing but dust in my food bag...
    I like nothing better than to see a town from the ridge, start headin' down to some golden arches while I take a bird bath, and rinse out my chew tobabco chew tobaco chew tobaco spit...with my remaining water.

Images

I like nothing better than to see a town from the ridge, start headin' down to some golden arches while I take a bird bath, and rinse out my chew tobabco chew tobaco chew tobaco spit...with my remaining water.
    Dang Socks, you hike up and down them ridges with a jaw wad full of tobacc'ie, are you kin to Dan'l Boone?

Dang Socks, you hike up and down them ridges with a jaw wad full of tobacc'ie, are you kin to Dan'l Boone?
    I gots prominent folks in my lines. hell, we might even be related.

Images

I gots prominent folks in my lines. hell, we might even be related.
    Brotha from anotha mother... Also on a three day TRIP, bring Professor, Ginger, MaryAnn, and the rest of the crew. But watch out for 'Wrongway'...

Brotha from anotha mother... Also on a three day TRIP, bring Professor, Ginger, MaryAnn, and the rest of the crew. But watch out for 'Wrongway'...
    wrongway...slowly I turn, step by step, inch by inch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++