Default Females Trekking Poles Recommendations

Hi ladies,

I'm planning a 2015 sobo thru hike, and I'm wondering if any of you could weigh in on trekking poles. I am torn between komperdells (llbean or REI --both have great replacement policies) and splurging on lekis. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've only had Leki trekking poles, so take my support for what it is worth.

Personally I have not experienced any real difference between Unisex and Women's trekking poles. Its all the same to me. I like the speedlocks like the ones on Leki Corklite and Leki Jannu poles. I'm not a fan of anti-shock, strangely enough, as when I start to stumble it is the last thing I want.

Good luck on your hike.

Journal Entries

My hiking partner Splash (female), originally used Black Diamond z-poles for her size, which did 'work' but caused some, but not much, difficulty using it with her treking pole supported tent (adjustable length is very helpful). She wore them down quite quickly also, in 1/3 of the AT there was not much 'tip' below the 'basket' left. She has gone to the woman's REI Carbon pole and she seems to like that.

With the above said I Thru'ed with the REI Carbon. It lasted from GA to PA at which time suffered two non-critical failures. First it broke in PA due to a fall, but I could still use it - full sized -by readjusting the lengths. Second the hardened tip came out, again in PA, I was able to hike with these 2 failures till NY (actually almost in CT) where I replaced them at REI and even though damaged they could have gone a bit further. (they also broke once again during a rescue on Mt Washington, but that was extreme usage - again replaced by REI)

Did I just post in the female only section

The male female thing when it comes to trek poles is nothing but a marketing thing...this is true with other products...my wife and I have had some debates and some humor when it comes to this crazyness.....

There is nothing but ...liberal money grubbing going on....

Yes, there are some products that are made beter for women than for men....they are useally clothing or more personal....

Treking poles???? PLEASE.....Women and Men have the same basic five fingers/hand...
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

++ New Posts ++