WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trekking Poles

Default Trekking Poles

Planning a 2015 sobo thruhike...what are your thoughts on getting either rei/llbean komperdells (with great replacement warranties) vs splurging on a pair of lekis? Are they worth it?

Not everyone likes poles, or prefers only one. If you haven't already tried them, I'd recommend getting a cheap pair at Wally World to see if you even want them.

Personally, I use Pacer Poles, and love them.

Journal Entries

I have the REI Carbon poles by Komperdell and it is so hard to use AL poles now that I have these. The times I do use AL they just feel so heavy and during my hike I really miss my carbon sticks. Carbon also does not conduct heat away like AL does, so if you tend to grip the shaft at times carbon can help you hands stay warmer. The flick lock works great and does hold the length even under my full weight which is a method I used while descending that I rarely see other hikers using, however you may need to adjust the screw for the first time if it does slip, but once that is done it's set for life. The poles can take the pressure and I don't hesitate bearing down on them.

The down sides are they are fragile against a bending force. For this reason I do take a lot of extra care, which I never even though about with my AL sticks, such as always collapsing them when I place them in my car (where they usually stay when I'm not hiking), place them out of where other hikers are at gathering locations such as lookouts, move them if hikers get too close to them, and also never use the straps as it is too common to get a stick stuck in a hole while moving forward and the bending force may break it - when this happens I release the stick, which I can not if I'm attached (however this has never broken this way for me, just too nervous about strapping them to me). All these were a non-issue with my AL sticks, Throw them around, place bags of top soil right on top of them in the back of the car.

The Carbon poles themselves started to really show wear in PA (starting from GA) and were replaced in NY - I am quite certain that at least one would not make a complete thru due to the hardened tip coming out without placing a rubber boot on it to protect and slow the wear of the remaining tip. The 2nd replacement was during a rescue on Mt Washington, really was asking too much from them and I broke one which the replacement was sent to a nearby lodge. Even though REI reduced their satisfaction guarantee to 1 year, I do believe the poles are lifetime against breakage.

My carbon REI sticks that I got in NH made it to Katahdin and beyond and still look pretty decent with quite a bit of miles after the thru, perhaps 50 days and nights on trail and many day hikes. As long as they are lifetime I would get them again, however I do not think I would do so for 1 year.

The other issue is if you use the sticks for your tent, mine uses 1 stick, so if one breaks not a big deal. Though it does seem like something one can improvise a temp solution for if really needed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Not everyone likes poles, or prefers only one. If you haven't already tried them, I'd recommend getting a cheap pair at Wally World to see if you even want them.
    +1 on this. I'd suggest making an inquiry here regarding the need for used trekking poles for your upcoming thru. Go with the flick-locks as they are much easier to adjust.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    +1 on this. I'd suggest making an inquiry here regarding the need for used trekking poles for your upcoming thru. Go with the flick-locks as they are much easier to adjust.
    +1 on flick-locks. I had a twist lock fail in the 100 mile wilderness and ended up carrying it in my pack.

Thanks for your input. I've hiked Katahdin five times, so I'm 100% sure I'll be wanting some poles. My question is whether the expensive lekis are worth it?

I have a pair of Lekis as well as a pair of the cheapest Black Diamonds with the flic locks. The Lekis stay hanging in the garage while I use the Black Diamonds, 3 or 4 times a week.

I second the flick-locks. I use Easton or the Leki flicks. It's just easier to adjust so I adjust when necessary. Poles for me are essential. For every one time they are in the way, there is about 50 times they are used to push a briar away, clear a spider web, avoid a mud puddle, arrest a fall, ease a big step down, or assist a big step up or provide security on a ridge line.

For me, I'd splurge and go for something light and strong. Trekking poles were one of those things I used 24 hours a day (tent used them) $.10 a day is chump change for something that you don't have to worry about.

Swonut, good point...that extra $50 bucks or so isn't much in the grand scheme of things! Thank you!

While not Lekis, I use the Black Diamond Ergos. They were pricey, but I have had them for 5+ years and put well over 3,000 miles on them (much of those in the Whites and other rocky section of New England) and they are still going strong. That boils down to about $20 a year so I have been happy with that investment.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I've been using the Komperdell Al poles (cork grips, flick locks) for several years. I like them. I'd worry too much about the brittleness of carbon ones, I think. And, like many others, I use the poles 24 hours/day when I'm on the trail because they hold my tent up when I'm not hiking.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slosteppin View Post
    I have a pair of Lekis as well as a pair of the cheapest Black Diamonds with the flic locks. The Lekis stay hanging in the garage while I use the Black Diamonds, 3 or 4 times a week.
    I like flip locks better than twist locks, but I did have the pin fall out of one of my REI poles, rendering the lock useless. I used some twist lock poles but they get really stiff and full of dirt a cant get out now. My third set of poles is a set of black diamond Z poles. I love them, very simple and easy, no locks to break. Their only bad point is they don't retract, so the size you buy is the size you will always use. If you need to adjust for a tent pole, then you're out of luck. Theyre very light, and pretty strong.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I'm still using a pair of twist-lock aluminum Lekis from 2002. I'm guessing they have around 1200-1500 miles on them.

I finally got around to replacing the pole tips this summer. That was a bit of a challenge, I had to swing by several stores before I found one that had the tips in stock.

For hiking in Maine and NH, I've decided one pole is enough. That leaves one hand free to hold on to trees, roots or rocks when going up or down steep sections. I still have to toss the pole down really steep sections to free up both hands, but not as often as I do if I have two poles.

As for what kind to get, I happen to have Lekis.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    I like flip locks better than twist locks, but I did have the pin fall out of one of my REI poles, rendering the lock useless. I used some twist lock poles but they get really stiff and full of dirt a cant get out now. My third set of poles is a set of black diamond Z poles. I love them, very simple and easy, no locks to break. Their only bad point is they don't retract, so the size you buy is the size you will always use. If you need to adjust for a tent pole, then you're out of luck. Theyre very light, and pretty strong.
    I had the bd ultra distance carbon z poles...snapped one second time out....bd was great as replaced with alpine carbon corks...love them and strongly advised against using ultra distance z poles backpacking....more for trail running w light load...I'm 215 plus a 20-30 pack.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

"...bd was great as replaced with alpine carbon corks...love them and strongly advised against using ultra distance z poles backpacking....more for trail running w light load...I'm 215 plus a 20-30 pack....."

After backpacking for nearly forty years without poles, 16 months ago I began using them. I feel more secure with the poles and may be moving a little faster (or at least less slowly) with them. I weight 225 and typically carry a 20 to 30 pound pack. I use Black Diamond Z-poles, specifically the aluminum version which presumably is stronger than carbon Z poles would be. Why, Saltysack, does BD advise against using Z poles for backpacking?

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    "...bd was great as replaced with alpine carbon corks...love them and strongly advised against using ultra distance z poles backpacking....more for trail running w light load...I'm 215 plus a 20-30 pack....."

After backpacking for nearly forty years without poles, 16 months ago I began using them. I feel more secure with the poles and may be moving a little faster (or at least less slowly) with them. I weight 225 and typically carry a 20 to 30 pound pack. I use Black Diamond Z-poles, specifically the aluminum version which presumably is stronger than carbon Z poles would be. Why, Saltysack, does BD advise against using Z poles for backpacking?
    I should have been more specific....Ultra distance carbon z poles....very thin and light...I'm sure aluminum are stronger/heavier...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I use LEKI hiking poles and I consider them a necessity most of the time. I agree, if you have no experience using poles and are not sure if you will like them, try a cheap pair from Wally World before splurging on more expensive ones. Also, the flip locks are a must vs. twist locks IMO. My plug for Leki poles is their customer service is amazing! I have damaged a hiking pole on 2 different occassions and both times Leki responded immediately to my calls and mailed me a new segment to my poles (lifetime warranty). Whatever your decision is, happy hiking!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I should have been more specific....Ultra distance carbon z poles....very thin and light...I'm sure aluminum are stronger/heavier...
    Just to add to this.... I used the carbon version of the Z-poles for about a year, then one indeed did snap when I tripped and kinda tweaked the pole badly. REI accepted the return and I replaced them with the aluminum version; I think right around 2 ounces heavier, but I think significantly stronger as I've tweaked them a couple few times with no problem.

So, my petite wife uses the carbon Z-poles, I use the aluminum ones, and this seems to work perfectly. Basically, the carbon version poles are plenty strong for a 120# person with a full pack, but not for a 180# person. Great poles though, even the aluminum ones are very light, and they fold up nicely into vary compact package when not used/needed. Fixed length, of course, which some hate but I've actually come to like better because one length does it just fine for me and I don't have to worry about slippage. I use the 120CM, my wife the 110CM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slosteppin View Post
    +1 to this... Black Diamonds are awesome! I keep hearing from other hikers that Lekis cause blisters, but I've never had that problem with my Black Diamonds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++