WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Adirondack Base for Day Hikes

Any suggestions for a good base of operations in the Adirondacks?

Will be doing day hikes out of a B&B or similar. Might even go the Air B and B route as a new experience.

Last December we stayed in Lake Placid, which was great for all sort of reasons-- 10 out of 10 for both the surrounding trails and places to eat and drink afterwards. Stayed at the ADK Loj years ago.

Looking for some place different. High peaks good, but not required. Good eats and nice town with nearby trails a must.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

What do you mean by 'good eats'? if you're satisfied with pub grub (but nicely done), there are more options; if you want "fine dining", you're pretty much limited to places like Lake Placid or North Creek.

Maybe Long Lake? In season (Memorial Day-Columbus Day, if memory serves) the Adirondack Museum is just down the road in Blue Mountain Lake; there are several good motels on the lakefront, and the town is right on the Northville-Placid Trail plus having some interesting side trips (Blue Mountain, Sabattis, maybe even a paddle on the lake?).

Or would you be interested in even more rustic than the Loj? Hike in to the Johns Brook Hut?

Keene Valley is another possbillity: it's the starting point for a lot of the peaks.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks Kevin.

For us good eats can mean most anything. In Lake Placid we found a great variety, but the best place for us was brew pub. Great craft beer to go with wings and s'mores you could cook at your table. Nothing like flaming marshmallows in a crowded bar .

I never heard of any of the places you mentioned, so you gave me a good place to google. Most of the time will be outdoors, but since we will be passing through in mid December, we want some place warm and friendly at both ends of the day. the ADK museum is a good idea, too.

if you want a good base for Adirondack Day hikes.. go to Adirondack Loj (yes it is spelled Loj) in the high peaks. You can park your car, have meals and lodging right there and have trails out the door. Check it out at adk.org.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I never heard of any of the places you mentioned, so you gave me a good place to google. Most of the time will be outdoors, but since we will be passing through in mid December, we want some place warm and friendly at both ends of the day. the ADK museum is a good idea, too.
    Wow, that's a crappy time to be going - but sometimes that's what life hands you. There won't be that much of a snowpack yet. Peak bagging will be at its most challenging, because it's likely to warm up enough in the day to have you climbing on slush that won't hold a crampon. The lakes won't be frozen solid yet - in deep winter they offer the easiest path for long-distance travel. And muzzle-loader and bow seasons don't end until 16 December this year. ADK museum closes Columbus Day-Memorial Day. And it's not summer, nor leaf peeping season, nor really ski season yet (except for Lake Placid and North Creek, where they have man-made snow and may be able to open), so a great many of the local businesses will be closed, with their owners off someplace warmer.

But there's no bad time to be out on the trail. (Unless it's blackfly season.) There are just better and worse times.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Merry and I had a rather magical long weekend in Lake Placid ages ago. We met a friend there, we were there mostly to ski (Whiteface.) It was Christmas time. Merry injured her arm at the skating rink the first night. We got her to the clinic, got it checked out, then did a day hike out to Marcy Dam the next day, on snowshoes, Merry with her arm in a sling. Plenty going on in Lake Placid, but it's one of the few towns up there that I have any recollection of. Old Forge would be the other, but it's kind of out of the way.

Default Adirondack Base for Day Hikes

Hostel in Keene Valley town is awesome- haven't been there in a few years. Don't know if they are still open. Good food and outfitter in walking distance. Close to trail heads for High Peaks region. Skiing in winter. Not far from Lake Placid. If you here any updates, let me know...special people!

There is also Old Forge farther to the west. This would provide access to non-high peaks trails and waters.

Since I do not spend time at fine dining establishments nor motels/hotels when in the adks, I can't suggest any specifics. I can suggest specific places of interest to hike, paddle and camp in the woods.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    There is also Old Forge farther to the west. This would provide access to non-high peaks trails and waters.

Since I do not spend time at fine dining establishments nor motels/hotels when in the adks, I can't suggest any specifics. I can suggest specific places of interest to hike, paddle and camp in the woods.
    Old Forge looks to be in a good spot. We will actually be headed back east after a stay in your fair city, so that would make for a shorter detour.

Any ideas for hiking in that area would be most welcome -- we will be there mid December so canoeing is not an option for us.

As for fine dining, we define that very broadly. I don't do Garbage Plates, though.

On my recent trip to the Adirondacks, I found lodging in Tupper Lake to be much less expensive than Lake Placid, Long Lake, or Speculator. Not much in the way of restaurants though.

Lots of motels - those that stay open - drop their rates in the winter. Long Lake has some decent places and the two main restaurants stay open during thte winter.

You might even want to check out the area around Gore Mountain, over on the east side of the DAKs. Along Rte. 28 a dozen miles or so east of Indian Lake.

http://www.goremountain.com/vacation-planning/lodging

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Old Forge looks to be in a good spot. We will actually be headed back east after a stay in your fair city, so that would make for a shorter detour.

Any ideas for hiking in that area would be most welcome -- we will be there mid December so canoeing is not an option for us.

As for fine dining, we define that very broadly. I don't do Garbage Plates, though.

Just to the West of Old Forge is the HaDeRonDah wilderness, some great hiking through there. To the East is the Pigeon Lake Wilderness, also good spots to snowshoe. Also to the East is the Black Bear Mtn area to the north of Seventh lake. PM your email and I can send you some maps.

russ

++ New Posts ++