WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Drying wet clothing?

Looking for some advice on the best way to dry wet clothes - either because it has been raining, or because you've washed the sweat/mud out of them by hand ?

I did a fantastic section hike (my first time on the AT! ) last week and I found that wet socks/bandana/T-shirt didn't try at all if I laid them out inside my tent at night, even with fast-drying fabrics. I guess they might dry better in warmer weather like August? Or if I rig a line and hang them up?

I also tried sleeping on them in a hostel bed (no laundry facilities) which was a bit unpleasant and didn't work either.

The only thing that did work was putting them on wet and then they dried pretty quickly. I'm nervous about doing this before going to sleep as I'll start off extra cold, and I'm worried that the moisture will damage the down sleeping bag?

Thanks!

This time of year in NC...there is a pretty heavy dew...things hanging up at night will get wetter. hang wet socks, etc...on your pack when you are hiking.
    Spread them out on rocks during breaks. Bring some safety pins to hang stuff off your pack.

Obviously...if you have a fire you can dry stuff by the fire.

I don't like putting wet clothes in my sleeping bag. Not only is it uncomfortable, but the bag absorbs the moisture. Even without wet clothes, you should be hanging your down bag up when you get to camp to dry out the perspiration that accumulates when you sleep. It will also smell better.

AT 2012

wearing wet clothing to dry them is a controversial subject... many will correctly point to the risk of compromising down sleeping bag warmth with moisture. i work really hard at minimizing the clothing i allow to get wet, and have been successful at drying my synthetic fabric pants, shirt, gloves and wool socks while wearing them in my sleeping bag. I am happiest when my wet clothing has mostly dried by my just setting up camp and eating -- before i get into the sleeping bag. i also sleep in a hammock under an open tarp, so i have lots of air exposure so that i don't condense that moisture inside a tent... perhaps that helps. i guess it also depends on how much safety factor you have with your sleeping bag. with a 20 degree bag in 40 degree weather i would be less worried about a little moisture in the sleeping bag. ...and, yes, it is not comfortable while the clothing is drying, but i seem to like not comfortable.
    Lazarus

Journal Entries
    Images

The best way to dry clothing is to spread them out on a hot boulder in the sun during the day. Hanging them overnight tends to leave your stuff wetter but why wouldn't you hang it up then? I wear wet clothes during the day and have dry clothes at night. Sometimes I stuck the wet clothes underneath my sleeping pad so I wouldn't get my sleeping bag horrendously smelly.

If you're getting a really late start in the day for whatever reason (it happens sometimes) have the discipline to use the opportunity. When you stop for lunch or find a great spot to break in, find a sunny boulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Myself, I would not take risks wearing wet clothes in my down sleeping bag or quilt. Staying warm through the night might be life or death. That is why I always try to keep some dry things to change into or wear no clothing in my bag at all.

If my hiking clothes are wet at the end of the day, yes they will probably still be wet in the morning. I just suck it up, put on my cold wet things, and start hiking. Usually I can hike until they are dry, or at least until I am warm.
    Last edited by imscotty; 10-22-2014 at 11:10.

You can also lay your wet clothes - one piece at a time - on a microfiber towel (like a Shamwow) and wring it out really good. That helps quite a bit.

Images

Put on the wet clothes in the morning. It's an extra incentive to start moving.
    AT x 3
    GA-ME 2010
    GA-ME 2011
    ME-GA 2013

As you found out, the only effective way to dry clothes is to wear them. Unless it's sunny out, it is pointless to hang up clothes to dry. If it's not too cold, keep them on as long as possible after you get to camp, but often you want to change into something dry as soon as possible.

Then put the wet clothes is a bag to keep them for getting other stuff wet and put them back on in the morning. Do this just before you head out as putting on cold, damp clothes in the morning isn't the most pleasant way to start the day, but once you start walking you'll warm up quickly. You can put them in your sleeping bag, but in a water proof bag. They won't dry, but at least they will be warm when you put them on in the morning.

What ever you do, don't start hiking in your dry clothes. You don't want two sets of wet clothes!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb What I do

I have sleep clothes that absolutely, positively remain dry -- period. I do not take them out of the "dry bag" until I am ready to go into my sleeping bag, which MUST be protected from the elements when I spread it out.

In addition, NOTHING wet goes into my sleeping bag.

I do have a camp shirt that I use when I stop for the night, which is usually drier than my hiking shirt but invariably dirty by the end of a multi-day hike. However, I never wear that shirt when I start to sleep.

If my hiking clothes are wet, even soaking wet, at the end of the day, at most I wring them out and hang them out for the night. As often as not, when my hiking clothes are wet when I go to sleep, they are still wet when I wake up. When that happens, I simply put them on wet, just before I start to hike. This leads to starting a day's hike cold & wet -- but, after five to ten minutes of hiking, my body heats up enough to negate this problem.

The reason for all this simple: if you get into a dry sleeping bag while being completely dry, and stay out of any wind or rain, you'll survive just about any temperature. You may not sleep well, but you'll survive. If, however, moisture inside your sleeping bag causes you to shiver as you begin to doze off, you're in BIG trouble! Plain and simple, you must NOT be wet when you go to sleep!
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 10-22-2014 at 13:00.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    I have sleep clothes that absolutely, positively remain dry -- period. I do not take them out of the "dry bag" until I am ready to go into my sleeping bag, which MUST be protected from the elements when I spread it out.

This is what I do. Wet hiking clothes may be a bit uncomfortable. A wet sleeping bag could be a survival situation if it's really cold.

Also, you don't need a lot of extra clohting: light tights, a t-shirt, and a a thin pair of liner socks are all I ever carry. I let my bag do the warming, not my clothes.

All great info IMHO. One of the first things I do when I'm done hiking at the end of the day and in camp (and it's dry out) is string a clothes line. My sleeping bag gets hung to air out and my hiking clothes get a chance to dry out and partially de-funk in the sunlight.

Out West, you have a better chance of drying out your clothes. Along the AT, not so much so. The only time my clothes got dry on the trail is when they were put in a dryer or wearing them dry.

What I did to try & minimize this moisture problem was to 'hike cool.' If the temperature was cool (or cold), I hiked w/ the minimum amount of clothing possible. I tried to minimize the amount of sweat I generated. When it is warm or even hot, all bets are off along the AT. With the accompanying humidity, nothing dries.

Note: When it was really cold & wet, I put my trail runners in a water-proof stuff sack & put it in my sleeping bag. That way, my shoes weren't frozen stiff the following morning.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    Out West, you have a better chance of drying out your clothes. Along the AT, not so much so. The only time my clothes got dry on the trail is when they were put in a dryer or wearing them dry.

What I did to try & minimize this moisture problem was to 'hike cool.' If the temperature was cool (or cold), I hiked w/ the minimum amount of clothing possible. I tried to minimize the amount of sweat I generated. When it is warm or even hot, all bets are off along the AT. With the accompanying humidity, nothing dries.

Note: When it was really cold & wet, I put my trail runners in a water-proof stuff sack & put it in my sleeping bag. That way, my shoes weren't frozen stiff the following morning.

...i agree! especially with the hike with the minimum amount of clothing. better to not soak that rain jacket if it isn't really necessary to do so!

actually, i guess i would just want to argue that this is not a simple question with a simple "I always" answer. factors to consider -- how much clothing do you have with you? how cold is it? what is your sleeping bag rating? just how wet are the clothes you want to dry? what is the relative humidity? has it stopped raining? This is another judgement call issue -- like the dozens of others we deal with when hiking. hey, at the very least, if you only have one pair of gloves and they are wet and it will be cold the next day, wouldn't you want to consider drying them off in your sleeping bag? well, how about your hat? you get the picture...
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post

My strategy as well. Trying to sleep in wet or damp clothing is a losing proposition. There's a base layer and pair of socks that are for camp only -- never worn while hiking, and to be kept dry at all costs. Putting on wet/damp clothes in the AM is not fun but you get over it pretty quick. Of course if this goes on for several days, it's no fun at all. Maybe time for a zero day in town!

On the AT, it's tough.
    Clothes are often wet and hard to dry.
    Since I use a foam pad to sleep on (not a thermo-rest or blow up thingy), I always would put the wet shirt underneath the sleeping pad.
    It might not be totally dry in the morning but, much dryer than any other way I've found.

Don't know how this would work with a Thermo-rest but probably better than nothing.

Good luck and have fun.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

1) I dint dry out wet clothes in my quilt except....
    2) you can dry socks or gloves by putting them under your hat at night.
    3) wet clothes while hiking is not as bad as it sounds. If it's wet then wear it in the morning.
    4) minimize wet clothes. Wear as little as possible even with rain gear. I found out quite by accident that I can stay warm with lightweight tights and a short sleeve shirt during sleet at freezing temperatures. Less clothes worn, less clothes to dry.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! Much appreciated.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    All great info IMHO. One of the first things I do when I'm done hiking at the end of the day and in camp (and it's dry out) is string a clothes line. My sleeping bag gets hung to air out and my hiking clothes get a chance to dry out and partially de-funk in the sunlight.
    I use my bear bag line until after dinner. But I do like to get it over a branch while its still light.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

Always have dry sleep clothes (or nekid), I never sleep in wet clothes in a down bag. Get up in the morning, put the wet stuff on, and start walking.

Garlic
    Images

All the above, plus I only launder my clothing while hiking if it's relatively warm and sunny at mid-day and I can comfortably put them back on wet and wear them dry.

Malto mentioned a very important point that bears repeating--minimize the wet clothing.

The only wet clothing that goes into my sleeping bag may be socks and gloves, and that's as much to keep them from freezing as to dry them out.

I've had some luck drying out rain-soaked clothing overnight by putting them under my sleeping pad. Sometimes I notice a dry spot under my pad when striking camp after pitching in a damp site. So I figured, correctly as it turns out, that clothing might dry under there. Plus sometimes it's a good place to put them out of the way.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++