WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default US19 to Damascus

Hello to all,

I just returned from 19 to Erwin and learned a lot about hiking in this section in the fall. I have never done long distance hiking in the fall or winter, if you want to call 50 miles long.

My question is: I'm planning a hike from US19 to Damascus over Thanksgiving break. I have never done this section of the trail. By the ele. profile it looks pretty flat in most places except profiles I have leaned are deceiving.

Questions are:

1) what is the weather like this time of the year?
    2) I'm not crazy about night hiking, will my BD Spot (90 lumens) be sufficient in this area
    3) Will frogg toggs ultralight still work this time of the year. I've gotta put some tenacious tape on some of the holes that I have acquired this weekend.
    4) I use aquamira, and a sawyer squeeze. Do I need to get tablets?

Everything else, I'm good. Bag, clothes, et all.

Any tips about the area, or hiking in this time of the year would most appreciated and grateful.

Thanks,
    Floyd

Journal Entries

The piece from Watauga to Damascus is quick and easy. I think you have some significant hills south of Watauga. Enjoy!

1) what is the weather like this time of the year? If you dont like the weather in Tn, wait about 5 minutes. It will definately be getting down into the 30s but its TN so you could definately be walkin in shorts and tshirt by noon. Plan for cold, but be able to zip off the pants or what not to cool down during the day

2) I'm not crazy about night hiking, will my BD Spot (90 lumens) be sufficient in this area
    This will do just fine, I night hiked from Dennis cove NOBO up to pond flats(which is a pretty good little climb) Other then that your only real climb will be from wautaga lake up to the vendeventer shelter it can be a doozy

3) Will frogg toggs ultralight still work this time of the year. I've gotta put some tenacious tape on some of the holes that I have acquired this weekend.
    The Toggs will be fine

4) I use aquamira, and a sawyer squeeze. Do I need to get tablets?
    I ONLY use the sawyer and have for 2 years without problems. I would ditch the tablets/ aquamira to save that little bit of weight

Everything else, I'm good. Bag, clothes, et all.
    Have a great hike! And Once you get past Cross Mountain/ Osborn Farm it is smooth sailing all the way into Damascus.
    When In Damascus walk all the way thru town and on the corner is a place called Dots, they have a great burger and beer if you like beer. If not, burger is still good lol
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

hello to all,

Thank you for your comments. They are greatly appreciated!

Can you recommend a place in Damascus that can shuttle me down to US19. I would hike NOBO back so I would need to leave my car.

I can look in the AWOL book but rather hear first hand about a good place.

Once again Thank you for your help

Any info is appreciated!!
    Floyd

i can shuttle you. give me a day and time. you may leave your vehicle at my place. PM me

Gambit,

Where is cross mountain? is it after Vandeventer shelter?

Thanks,
    Floyd

cross mtn. is TN 91. 21 miles south of damascus

Lone Wolf is reliable. I will vouch for him.

4) I would just use the filter. Chemicals take too long to work in cold water. Water is a little scarce along that stretch, but is generally of good quality. Fill up when you can.

There are a number of nice, long reasonably flat sections along there, but since this is the AT, you will encounter at least one significant obstacle a day and the usual assortment of minor ones. If your hoping to do much more then 10 miles/day, be sure to bring spare batteries for the headlamp. A spare emergency flashlight is also a good idea and maybe a candle or two. Any kind of bad weather can really slow you down. Hope you don't get any!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

If I recall correctly, the water at Vandeventer is quite a ways down a steep path. Definitely plan to get water elsewhere if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    cross mtn. is TN 91. 21 miles south of damascus
    This is Correct

Quote Originally Posted by waasj View Post
    Lone Wolf is reliable. I will vouch for him.
    This is Correct, Havent personally used but have always heard good things about his services

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    4) Water is a little scarce along that stretch, but is generally of good quality. Fill up when you can.
    This is Correct, Ran out for about 9 miles in December. In Between Vendventer and Iron Mountain Shelter there is an apple tree which more or less saved our day of misery never eaten so many apples!

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    If I recall correctly, the water at Vandeventer is quite a ways down a steep path. Definitely plan to get water elsewhere if possible.
    The water source is pretty far down a steep hill but water for us ran out after vendeventer shelter for the next 9 miles. defineatly dont trust data for this section when they say there is water, get it at vendeventer shelter
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Thank you for all your help. The more information I get of this section the better.

I'm not too concerned about summer, easy season that is forgiving. End of fall/ beginning of winter not so much.

I have winter hiked but not this many miles, anddays hence my concern about average temps in this area this time of the year.

What is the candle for? Also should I trade out my alky stove for my canister I use in this season. I prefer to keep my weight down as low as possible.

Any more tips about the area is really appreciated, or long distance cold weather hiking is appreciated as well. As I said I learned a lot from US19 to Erwin last week, but I'm keeping in mind that was mid Oct. I expect worse at the end of Nov.

Thanks to all

Best,
    Floyd

The main problem with hiking that late in the season is boredom since it gets dark so early. We're about to loose an hour of daylight in the evening. Sunset will be about what, 5 PM end of Nov? The candle is to give you some light while your sitting around without using up your flashlight batteries. If you get a candle lantern*, with some care can be used in a tent and gives off a surprising amount of heat. Wax from a candle can also help get a camp fire going.

Stove choice is a trade off. The advantage of the canister is you can get a cup of hot liquid going a lot quicker then with the alky stove. Don't skimp on food, especially snack type things which you can eat while sitting in the dark waiting for it to get late enough to go to sleep. You might want to bring a book too.

* Candle lantern holds an emergency candle (about 1" dia) in a spring loaded aluminum tube and has a glass tube which pulls out and a chain for hanging. This keeps the candle safely enclosed. It does get hot, so keep way from nylon fabrics (like tent walls) and try not to tip it over as you could spill wax.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thank you slow-go'en for the candle explanation. Also about your snack explanations.... It never seems that I have enough, summer or winter! When I went out last week I brought enough snickers bars to last me two a day between meals.

I'm prepared to do some night hiking since it will get dark out early. I have a BD spot, about 90 lumens, so if I can put in a couple of hours at the beginning and end of the day........

I love winter hiking, I know it is different here in the South as opposed to up North, but I hate getting in a tent at 5pm. I have a limited amount of time and miles to cover it in so.....

I'm really not a fan of cannister stoves. I just like to know how much fuel I have. I'm always worried that I will run out. I may try it however for ease of convienience and suffer the small weight penalty.

I appreciate the tips. I consider myself a novice regarding longer distance winter hiking so the more advice the better, especially about the area.

All is appreciated and and gratefully received.

Floyd

When you say Thanksgiving, how many days are you allowing yourself? 4? 5? 6? The distance is 75 miles. Even though the Watauga-to-Damascus portion is pretty easy (easier than your Rt. 19-to-Erwin hike), you still start with a lot of up-and-down and the lessened daylight hours put more pressure on you to make big miles.

cooker,
    I looked at the guide last night and saw the same miles.

I was going to use 4 days, which means a lot of miles each day. I may have to take more days, since I'm not like many of you and able to do 20+ a day, or do this during the spring break, which I would rather not do.

You are right, the less daylight is a real drag, and is something to consider. I'm not adverse to hiking at night, but not certain if my BD spot is up to the task.
    Thank you all for your helpful information.
    Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    cooker,
    I looked at the guide last night and saw the same miles.

I was going to use 4 days, which means a lot of miles each day. I may have to take more days, since I'm not like many of you and able to do 20+ a day, or do this during the spring break, which I would rather not do.

You are right, the less daylight is a real drag, and is something to consider. I'm not adverse to hiking at night, but not certain if my BD spot is up to the task.
    Thank you all for your helpful information.
    Floyd

I'm no speed demon but I was able to do a 17 miler followed by a 20 miler from Rt. 321/Watauga. However, that was in May when daylight lasted until after 7. This is where you make up for slower mileage on your first half, especially the rocky area around Laurel Falls and the ascent up Pond Flat.

The other reason that a good headlamp is necessary is so that you can get up and ready each morning in the dark with the goal of starting at daybreak.

Good luck! It's a nice stretch of trail and you'll see nice views with the leaves off the trees.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

We just hiked the section between 321 and Damascus a few weeks ago. One thing to note is that the spring a half mile or so before Vandeventer shelter was dry as a bone. A lot of folks recommend getting water there to avoid the long downhill slog to the water source for the shelter.

We also hiked 19E to 321 and there is a LOT of water in this section.... No worries here.

Journal Entries

I use 20L for most night hiking, its plenty on a trail. I hit high 80L when I need. Its plenty for anything I ever done.

Thank you everyone for your help and insight.

I may have to ask for an extra day off being the holidays (T-Day)

10-K Thank for the heads up on the water and Muddy for insight on the headlamp. Geez, if you night hike with 80L max, I should be alright. I hate to purchase another item that I will use only a few times.

I apologize as well for not keeping up with this thread. I had my internet and cable knocked out for 2 days. Not a problem except for the internet.

Best, and thank you!
    Floyd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++