WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default hip replacements, shoulder replacement and spinal fusions!

Hello all-

Given all of above- both hips, right shoulder (reverse replacement), and half of my spine fused- and will be 61 for hike- is it even doable to SOBO?

Would love to hear from others with issues like this- 24 years of Army life.

Thanks-
    Eric (no trail name yet)

Oh my.

Well I'm much younger and don't have any of these problems, so take my word for what it is worth. I've seen hikers far older than 61 put me to shame on the Trail. It is both amusing and humbling to watch seniors soldier on by me while I'm trying to catch my breath. You may have to hiker slower but as long as you listen to your body and take care of it - I think it is doable.

Good luck and happy trails!

Images

EricMac - SOBO you will be facing some of the hardest terrain right off the bat. Perhaps you should consider NOBO or even some of the Alternative Flip-Flops some examples of which can be found on these boards or on the ATC website here...

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...where-to-start

Suggested trail name for you.... The Six Million Dollar Man or Steve Austin

Quote Originally Posted by ericmack View Post
    Hello all-

Given all of above- both hips, right shoulder (reverse replacement), and half of my spine fused- and will be 61 for hike- is it even doable to SOBO?

Thanks-
    Eric (no trail name yet)
    yes. very doable. i ruined my knee in the Marine Corps at the age of 20. tore my anterior, posterior and medial collateral ligaments plus tore all the cartilage. i've hiked 1000's of miles on the AT with no problems. no damn walkin' sticks either. you'll be fine. go slow

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ericmack View Post
    Hello all-

Thanks-
    Eric (no trail name yet)
    As you are a Military Man, I'm sure you are familiar with the old adage, "you can accomplish more physically, mentally, and emotionally than you EVER thought possible". Take it slow and day by day, listen to your body, and ENJOY. You'll be there before you know it

I hike with 2 bad ankles and one bad knee. It is painful but I enjoy hiking that much. I have found that my happy spot is about 12 mpd. Any more than that and I am in pain that night and the next day. 20 mpd and I'm ruined the next day. Just take it easy and don't punish yourself.

Journal Entries

No doubt you can do it.
    Will you cause premature damage to hips requiring resection is a different question. Are you willing to undergo the necessary surgeries if you do is another.

It's of discussion here in past about new knees, which are more common.

Depends on if you have had recent backpacking experience and how'd that work out? Your replacement parts and fused spine put you at a distinct disadvantage, but so much depends on your overall physical condition and level of experience.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

My bad- I meant NOBO not SOBO. Thanks so much for your kind replies. I day hike with my wife here in the Smokey Mountains- but haven't backpacked since the Army. Most I have hiked with day pack is 12 miles with poles. I have had both hips already revised as well as shoulder since I had them replaced while on active duty right when war began- so stayed on active duty until 2008. Work out at gym religiously.
    Again- thanks for the encouragement and good karma. Great and I mean-great- to hear of others plowing through this battling weakened bodies.
    with all respect-
    Eric (while on active duty- was called "tinman" a lot!

Journal Entries
    Images

My bad- I meant NOBO not SOBO. Thanks so much for your kind replies. I day hike with my wife here in the Smokey Mountains- but haven't backpacked since the Army. Most I have hiked with day pack is 12 miles with poles. I have had both hips already revised as well as shoulder since I had them replaced while on active duty right when war began- so stayed on active duty until 2008. Work out at gym religiously.
    Again- thanks for the encouragement and good karma. Great and I mean-great- to hear of others plowing through this battling weakened bodies.
    with all respect-
    Eric (while on active duty- was called "tinman" a lot!

Okay, NOBO starts out a bit easier, but be careful of the Georgia mud if it's wet. Some pretty slippery stuff!

It would still be a good idea to do some overnight trips, couple of days at least, with a full pack. You need to find out if you can carry a 25 pound load all day and how well you will sleep on shelter floors or uneven ground.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

thanks Slo-go'en. I will plan to do exactly that.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ya just be careful. Real careful with the spine. Hows your balance? And Thank you for your service my friend.
    Last edited by lemon b; 10-25-2014 at 18:30.

Journal Entries
    Images

My balance is amusing! But I use two very good poles (Black Diamonds- with springs) and they help tremendously. I have lost count of close calls in the Smokey Mountains- "slip- grab- totter- heart pounds"

Eric, hip replacements seem to give fewer problems than knees. I'd probably be more concerned about the shoulder. I'm hiking sections this year with a guy who has had two back surgeries. Took him several years to get back to backpacking, but he's a strong hiker now.

Work on lightweight gear, but good lightweight gear isn't cheap. Agree with considering going NOBO or doing a flip-flop.

I work around career military people and retirees, and it's a life that seems hard on the body. Especially for bigger people.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    Eric, hip replacements seem to give fewer problems than knees. I'd probably be more concerned about the shoulder. I'm hiking sections this year with a guy who has had two back surgeries. Took him several years to get back to backpacking, but he's a strong hiker now.

Work on lightweight gear, but good lightweight gear isn't cheap. Agree with considering going NOBO or doing a flip-flop.

I work around career military people and retirees, and it's a life that seems hard on the body. Especially for bigger people.
    Yep- I was 6' 3". Thanks . NOBO with good lightweight gear and humping no more than 25-30 lbs...with frequent stops and slow-going.
    Thanks again.
    Eric

Depends how badly you want it.

++ New Posts ++