WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Single wall shelter condensation help!!!

I just bought a lhg solong6 after tons of research...wanted space for 1 plus small dog and capability of bringing my 8 yr old occasionally... I picked it up Monday evening from outdoor76 in Franklin...went straight out to the trail from standing indian to silers bald first night..then to Wesser bald finishing this morn at the NOC as work schedule changed which prevented me fro continuing on to fontana..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops...my question is how do u lessen amount of condensation...both nights interior was soaked...with a down bag this concerns me..I had on side fully vented with awning up...tips??

Images

Get a Tarptent Moment DW, fabric inner tent.....
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    My question is how do u lessen amount of condensation...both nights interior was soaked...with a down bag this concerns me..I had on side fully vented with awning up...tips?
    Outside of a suggestion of getting a completely different tent... The only thing I can really say is it is mainly a matter of ventilation - you apparently need more of it. Sorry its not working out so well, saltysack.

Images

There is a bit more to it than just ventilation and this link will explain more of the science behind the cause and controlling condensation in your shelter -- http://windowoutdoors.com/WindowOutd...0Radiation.htm
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Grrr.. Tough one. Condensation is the bane of these newfangled superlight single-walled tents. One thing I've been told and assume is true: if you have a choice of camping in a meadow or in the woods, the woods will be warmer... ergo, less condensation.

I switched from a tiny double-walled tent (Eureka Solitaire) to a more spacious Tarptent. Love the room in the Tarptent, but the old Eureka was dryer. I've loved the looks of that Solong 6 since I first saw it but feeling a bit of schadenfreude, hearing your report.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Get a Tarptent Moment DW, fabric inner tent.....
    It's only 18 sq ft vs 30.....need more space for small dog/kid..

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Grrr.. Tough one. Condensation is the bane of these newfangled superlight single-walled tents. One thing I've been told and assume is true: if you have a choice of camping in a meadow or in the woods, the woods will be warmer... ergo, less condensation.

I switched from a tiny double-walled tent (Eureka Solitaire) to a more spacious Tarptent. Love the room in the Tarptent, but the old Eureka was dryer. I've loved the looks of that Solong 6 since I first saw it but feeling a bit of schadenfreude, hearing your report.
    I love the looks and space....the awning is awesome...I'm hoping I'll get it figured out...It was very damp and cold out...was also camped atop open balds both nights...siler bald and wesser bald by tower...

Journal Entries
    Images

over thinking it. Some condensation just happens.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    over thinking it. Some condensation just happens.
    Camping in the woods (vs. meadow) will always help. The article in Post #5 explains why. Condensation is not a problem in double-walled tents.

I understand it happens I want to do what ever feasible to lessen it.... Guess just didn't notice it as much with my old tent

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Camping in the woods (vs. meadow) will always help. The article in Post #5 explains why. Condensation is not a problem in double-walled tents.
    Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    .It was very damp and cold out...was also camped atop open balds both nights...siler bald and wesser bald by tower...
    That is why there was a problem with condensation.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    Outside of a suggestion of getting a completely different tent... The only thing I can really say is it is mainly a matter of ventilation - you apparently need more of it. Sorry its not working out so well, saltysack.
    It's mine now...but really like the layout for my needs with lil dog/son...by the way the $19.99 Costco down vest turned sleeping bag for my jrt worked great...he was still lil cold under 40 deg so got double layer of down w my parka...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    That is why there was a problem with condensation.
    That's what I was thinking after the input...thx

Journal Entries

Condensation always happens in a closed up tent, even double wall. You just don't notice it inside the tent as much because you can't touch it. It can be somewhat less because the air stays warmer inside and the inner inhibits movement of air to the outer canopy.

Site selection and ventilation and impervious groundcloth are you only tools to mitigate it.

One of the great benefits of open tarp style shelters is minimal condensation compared to more enclosed shelters. My hexamid has always been good to me.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-22-2014 at 23:09.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Condensation always happens in a closed up tent, even double wall. You just don't notice it inside the tent because you can't touch it. Site selection and ventilation and impervious groundcloth are you only tools to mitigate it.
    If I don't notice it, it's not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Condensation always happens in a closed up tent, even double wall. You just don't notice it inside the tent as much because you can't touch it. It can be somewhat less because the air stays warmer inside and the inner inhibits movement of air to the outer canopy.

Site selection and ventilation and impervious groundcloth are you only tools to mitigate it.

One of the great benefits of open tarp style shelters is minimal condensation compared to more enclosed shelters. My hexamid has always been good to me.
    Didn't think about group cloth? How does that help?

Damn fat fingers...ground

Journal Entries

Its not a problem to pack away wet shelters if you dry them later. Always had to do this camping with scouts with conventional double wall. If anything, my hex probably makes less condensation due to ventilation.

Ground moisture diffuses thru floor and condenses on roof. An airtight barrier groundcloth reduces it. Reduces only.

One thing that I do is try to ensure that I ventilate as close to my head as the tent allows. My thought process is that the water vapor I exhale has a better chance of escaping the tent. Also, your orientation to prevailing wind could be a factor as well. My MSR Missing Link ventilated best if set-up perpendicular to the wind with the backside facing into the wind. It seemed counterintuitive to me but worked.

I also carry a small chunk of a super absorbent towel so that I can wipe down walls if the condensation is really bad. Bandanas etc. would work also.

I'm not currently using a single wall tent but I quit using a ground cloth altogether. I don't think I notice any difference with condensation since this change. I made this change based upon a post from Lone Wolf several years ago (maybe 6 years?). Every now and then someone on WB does post a bit of good information.

As MuddyWaters mentioned, pack your tent wet and dry as able. If I know that I will have sun in the evening I will often just set up tent at end of day and allow to dry.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++