WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    so exactly how many of you fine folks are guilty of drawing or writing your name on a tree or in a shelter or a rock, if your quilty of this you don't need to be bashing this young lady for doing the same, it doesn't matter if it's your name or a 20ft by 40ft picture defacing is still defacing no matter what it is, no matter if it's on a petroglyph or shelter, seriously have any you guys been to Canyonlands NP lately. thank you and have a nice day.
    I've never done any of the things that you mention. Do you think this is common among the genaral population or are you just saying that it is common for you to do?

There is a huge difference between carving your name in an already decrepit shelter unlikely to be standing in a few decades and defacing cultural artifacts or natural settings. Neither is acceptable but there are also degrees of outrageousness when it comes to illegal activity.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Even if everyone did it it doesn't make it right. It's destruction of property and not acceptable.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

There's a whitehouse.gov petition up at:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...np-nm/1y8xJBGm

A Berkeley resident filed a petition on Whitehouse.gov Wednesday requesting that authorities pursue charges and the maximum punishment allowed for a New York artist who vandalized at least 10 national parks. The petition, which has garnered over 2,300 signatures as of 3 p.m. Thursday, states that a graffiti artist named Casey Nocket has traveled to several national parks and defaced them with her own acrylic paintings. “Please don’t allow her to receive a slap. Please pursue the most serious of charges for these offenses,” reads the petition.
    Last edited by Offshore; 10-24-2014 at 17:52.

Images

so exactly how many of you fine folks are guilty of drawing or writing your name on a tree or in a shelter or a rock, if your quilty of this you don't need to be bashing this young lady for doing the same, it doesn't matter if it's your name or a 20ft by 40ft picture defacing is still defacing no matter what it is, no matter if it's on a petroglyph or shelter, seriously have any you guys been to Canyonlands NP lately. thank you and have a nice day.
    Not me. I detest vandalism and don't do it. My mother taught me a little rhyme "Fools names and monkey's faces are often seen in public places." I've never tagged, carved, painted or written my name or anything else on property that I didn't own, and never felt compelled to leave my name or initials in a public place to prove myself a dolt for all to see. I don't do it and condemn those who do.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

Which post here has actually bashed or personally attacked this lady? I would say that they have consistently condemned her action and rightfully so. But no one has attacked her.

Now for my sins... well I'm ok casting a stone.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Right here dude...but here's the thing, it wasn't ok back when, and it still isn't ok.

It's hard to believe a grown man would use the excuse "Everybody else does it"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    Not me. I detest vandalism and don't do it. My mother taught me a little rhyme "Fools names and monkey's faces are often seen in public places." I've never tagged, carved, painted or written my name or anything else on property that I didn't own, and never felt compelled to leave my name or initials in a public place to prove myself a dolt for all to see. I don't do it and condemn those who do.
    +1 to this. I guess we just had good home training, good parental examples. I plainly do not understand the thought philosophy that leads some folks to this type of behavior. If you have an artistic urge or bent carry along a portfolio, do not deface and ruin things that do not belong to you, or wrongly assume that your "artistic" inclinations are something the rest of are clamoring to see. I see no art in these shameful taggings, only the horrible destruction caused by the selfish and thoughtless acts of the self absorbed.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

Evil flourishes when good people do nothing. (paraphrased).

It made the Tampa Trib - AP story. AP won't name the person because she hasn't "been charged" with a crime. She was all for advertising before. It'll be great when they finally catch her and charge her.

I liked reading the comments on one of the stories: male oppression, white privilege, self-expression uber alles, cave art and petroglyphs have been around for centuries so this is OK. Yeesh. Makes you wonder about humans and their capability to justify pretty much anything.

Now. Lemmee pull the pin on this grenade and toss it into to the room: Any difference if it had been water soluble chalk and would wash away in a few days/weeks ?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post

I liked reading the comments on one of the stories: male oppression, white privilege, self-expression uber alles, cave art and petroglyphs have been around for centuries so this is OK. Yeesh. Makes you wonder about humans and their capability to justify pretty much anything.

Now. Lemmee pull the pin on this grenade and toss it into to the room: Any difference if it had been water soluble chalk and would wash away in a few days/weeks ?
    Diverting blame to others or failing to acknowledge there is anything even blameworthy is not surprising. This criminal is a textbook narcissistic sociopath. As far as the grenade goes - interesting question. If it was chalk, it may be easier to clean up and leave less damage, but I see no difference in terms of criminal intent or visual impact to those wishing to enjoy these natural spaces. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know if the means of vandalism matter.

Now my own grenade question: Would some people on this board who seem to be so willing to give her a pass feel the same if the perpetrator was a pudgy 50 year old male instead of a 21 year old female in shorts?
    Last edited by Offshore; 10-25-2014 at 11:37.

Images

[QUOTE=Offshore;1917739

Now my own grenade question: Would some people on this board who seem to be so willing to give her a pass feel the same if the perpetrator was a pudgy 50 year old male instead of a 21 year old female in shorts?[/QUOTE]

Depends on what length shorts the pudgy 50 yo male is wearing !
    Old Hiker

Pudgy 50 year old males are not works of art. BOOM!
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Pudgy 50 year old males are not works of art. BOOM!
    Well. The self-esteem of ONE 50-ish pudgy male just took a nose-dive.
    Old Hiker

Well. The self-esteem of ONE 50-ish pudgy male just took a nose-dive.
    I guess I should have ended with ...whereas................... (to get the full effect of an explosion)
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Now my own grenade question: Would some people on this board who seem to be so willing to give her a pass feel the same if the perpetrator was a pudgy 50 year old male instead of a 21 year old female in shorts?
    Yeah, she seems like a sweet girl to me; I got no problems with her actions

Images

It is easy to see chalk as harmless and I have bought my niece a lot of sidewalk chalk through the years. However, read these links about chalk use among rock climbers and the issues it has cause that has caused its use to be banned in some parks.

http://climbing.about.com/od/climbin...e-No-Trace.htm
    http://aiguilleclimbing.blogspot.com...-of-chalk.html
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Vandalism is vandalism, regardless if it "goes away" after a while (all paint eventually fades and flakes away too over a century or so). Spend some time removing this crap from shelters and viewing areas and people have a differing point of view of how "harmless" this may be. To me, this girl is a low educated type artist wannabe seeking attention she cannot get in conventional ways through work, life success, or production of art that is able to generate interest on its own merit. At some point this vandal will either meet her end and will be arrested and jailed or be accosted by an over zealous defender of petroglyphs (something I don't endorse).

In the meantime, it really remains up to us as a collective group to not only frown on this juvenile behavior but to actively speak against it when seeing it done along the trail. Its all about the intent to deface, disrespect those who follow, a hollow plea to be recognized, and to be a jerk. Few people would allow anyone to deface their homes in this manner, why would they allow it in the back country.

Now here is some great sidewalk chalk art, and in the expos I've seen and read about the artist had a permit.

Looks real good to me

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++