WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hike w/in 10-20 hour drive from Boston for Thanksgiving week

Hi all,

I posted another thread on Straight Forward about practice overnights near Boston and just completed my first shakedown overnight thanks to everyone's feedback. I may have Thanksgiving week available for something longer (prob 10 days available for hike and driving) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Here's what I'm looking for:

- 1-2 day drive from the Boston area

- Somewhere where I could leave my car for 4-6 nights

- I'd prefer severe cold to not be an issue that I need to deal with, so am assuming I'd want to go south. (I think there'd be a lot of snow north in the Whites.) The focus is on testing my gear, and I'm starting late in the season (4/28-5/1/2015) so shouldn't have to contend with winter-like conditions at the start.

- It would obviously be great to hike somewhere that's beautiful, enjoyable, etc., rather than just meeting the utilitarian requirements listed above!

Thanks in advance, and happy to elaborate.

Just a reminder, NJ and PA deer / bear hunting seasons [firearm] are from the Monday after Thanksgiving to the 3rd week of December.

RUNT ''13'

Quote Originally Posted by runt13 View Post
    Just a reminder, NJ and PA deer / bear hunting seasons [firearm] are from the Monday after Thanksgiving to the 3rd week of December.

RUNT ''13'
    Definitely good to know, even if I'd be there the prior week. Not sure if anyone goes out hunting earlier than they're supposed to. Thanks

Shenandoah National Park would be my choice, though I've only ever been there in late summer. It's pretty mellow hiking, relatively easy camping and the usual allotment/spacing of shelters. I wouldn't count on any of the facilities being open, but even so.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Check FarmerChef's posts. He and the family hiked in GSMNP last Thanksgiving and were able to participate in a Hiker Thanksgiving dinner hosted by Miss Janet &Co. I'd definitely try to look into that!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

A 1 - 2 drive from Boston will get you anywhere on the trail. I'm near Boston and the longest drive was when I did the Springer to Fontana Dam section. That was about 2 days of driving (sharing the drive with my wife). I would think Virginia or SNP would be your best bet as it is still further south for warmer weather compared to here in New England without the elevations seen further south in NC and TN.

I'd also vote for Shenandoah NP. Another option would be MD and Southern PA from Harpers Ferry to Duncannon. It's 123 miles which you could do in 9 days - not very difficult. Resupply on Rt. 30 outside Caledonia State Park.

In NJ its small game season now, and muzzle loader deer season, up until the Wednesday after thanksgiving, as well as archery. Pheasant and grouse open November 8th, and run till the Saturday after thanksgiving, and up to the firearm deer / bear season. So there will be hunters in the woods, from now until January 31st. But the 6 day firearm season for deer / bear will have the most hunters.

RUNT ''13''

I would do Harpers Ferry, WV to Boiling Springs, PA. I really enjoy hiking that part of the AT. To me it's the best part of the AT North of Virgina, and South of Connecticut. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed hiking Northern Pennsylvania to Pauling New York, but the AT from Harpers Ferry, WV to Boiling Springs, PA is really special.

SNP would be a great choice. With the leaves down, you should get some great views that won't be there next year when you are in the park on your thru hike. None of the waysides will be open but Skyland Resort stays open until November 30 so you could have a meal there or try to reserve a room in advance. I believe that they serve a Thanksgiving dinner.

HF to southern PA is also a good choice but I prefer the views and terrain in SNP overall. Speaking of SNP, I missed the leaf season entirely and really need to get out there for a few days soon.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Default Think "elevation" more than north vs. south

To best guess, at this distant time, what the weather may be like in late November, put elevation first on your list of considerations. A comparison between 5,500' of elevation in GSMP and 2,500' elevation in, say, PA, NJ, or NY should show the much further south latitudes are in fact colder, on average, due to elevation. Generally speaking, 3,000' of elevation difference corresponds to approximately 1,000 miles of latitude, so the winter climate around my alma mater, Appalachian State University, in Boone, NC (3,300'-3,600'), is said to be similar to that in southern Ontario, close to sea level.

AO

Quote Originally Posted by Alleghanian Orogeny View Post
    To best guess, at this distant time, what the weather may be like in late November, put elevation first on your list of considerations. A comparison between 5,500' of elevation in GSMP and 2,500' elevation in, say, PA, NJ, or NY should show the much further south latitudes are in fact colder, on average, due to elevation. Generally speaking, 3,000' of elevation difference corresponds to approximately 1,000 miles of latitude, so the winter climate around my alma mater, Appalachian State University, in Boone, NC (3,300'-3,600'), is said to be similar to that in southern Ontario, close to sea level.

AO
    Agree! That's why I recommended MD and Southern PA up to Duncannon.

In terms of closeness to Boston, I've done Bear Mountain (Mass/CT line) south into CT and then into NY. Not a bad hike, relatively easy elevation changes, always near civilization but you still get that alone time in the woods. Nothing terribly exciting in terms of views, but the trail is in good shape and I've enjoyed it. In terms of view and best hiking experience, Shenandoah is a really nice park (family vacation, not AT hike), good views; probably warmer than up here!

Either way, best of luck and enjoy.

++ New Posts ++