WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiking seasom protection

Just had a strange idea about hiking season. I'm thinking of doing a head start. Starting at Harpers Ferry going north, then returning to Harpers Ferry and finishing south. That would put me in Southern Appalachian hunting season. Yes wear orange make noise etc.
    Here's my crazy idea. A lot of cyclists are now using those blinky lights, they have about a 180* spread. So if I make a elastic headband, most of the lights have a belt clip attachment, buy 3, put the lights on the head band and I become a walking " I'm a human" beacon"
    Pretty cheap to do.

Other than risking a trail name of "blinky" this could work.

Lmfao

runt ''13''

http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-SL-LD10.../dp/B000R5PJV8

I have two red and one white of these that I use on my messenger bag when I commute via bicycle.
    Considered using while backpacking during hunting season also.

Would me a decent tent light too.

The Flasher would be a great trailname !?!? Lots of alone time!

It's really not an issue. Wear some orange and that is enough.

Images

Even with wearing orange, I don't like hiking early or late in the day during hunting season. The problem is, the days are short so that cuts a lot of good hiking time. Wearing blinkies seems like a pretty good solution.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

This really sounds like a solution in search of a problem. I hiked Georgia last fall during deer season, had zero issues and saw nothing out there that was cause for concern.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Even with wearing orange, I don't like hiking early or late in the day during hunting season. The problem is, the days are short so that cuts a lot of good hiking time. Wearing blinkies seems like a pretty good solution.
    I'm pretty sure their not suppose to hunt a until half hour after dawn or before dusk so that there is enough light to see what their shooting at. An orange hat and maybe a vest over the pack is all that's needed.

So far as I know, no hiker on the AT has ever been shot by a hunter. One reason is that for the most part, the AT is too high up on the ridge line to find any game. Another is hunters don't want to wander too far from their truck or need to be able to get to the kill by ATV. You think their going to drag a 400 pound buck very far through the woods? I don't think so. Finally, most hunters know better then to hunt along popular hiking trails.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

What the Elf said.

I was just out on trail earlier this week - and it's deer season up here. I ran into one hunter, we had a nice chat, and he hiked on. It was early in the morning, and I wasn't rolling yet. I was just making coffee when he happened on my campsite. I was a little surprised to meet him as far from the road as I did. I certainly wouldn't want to hump a deer that far. But some people use a rifle as an excuse to go play in the woods. I just play in the woods without an excuse.

I did have my orange vest, tuque, and pack cover when I was hiking. But no blinking light or any such.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Been using this on my dog during hikes for several years...solid or blinking...made by night Ize....we night hike often..just Monday started hiking at 7pm standing indian campground til 11 arrived @ siler bald..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

It is a great idea, I am a hunter and I wear the bike red blinky light so that other hunters do not shoot me! Plus do not wear anything white.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm pretty sure their not suppose to hunt a until half hour after dawn or before dusk so that there is enough light to see what their shooting at. An orange hat and maybe a vest over the pack is all that's needed.

So far as I know, no hiker on the AT has ever been shot by a hunter. One reason is that for the most part, the AT is too high up on the ridge line to find any game. Another is hunters don't want to wander too far from their truck or need to be able to get to the kill by ATV. You think their going to drag a 400 pound buck very far through the woods? I don't think so. Finally, most hunters know better then to hunt along popular hiking trails.
    To help folks out these are Virginia's hours
    Hunting Hours

One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset for nonmigratory birds and game animals except during spring gobbler season.

One-half hour before sunrise until 12 noon during spring gobbler season, except the last 12 days when the hunting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise until sunset.

One-half hour before sunrise to sunset for Youth/Apprentice Spring Turkey Hunting Day.
    Hours for bear hound training season are from 4:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m daily, including Sundays.

Bobcat, foxes, raccoons, and opossums may be hunted by day or night during authorized seasons.

Raccoons may be hunted until 2 a.m. on Sundays. No other Sunday hunting of raccoons is permitted.

Nuisance species may be taken day or night.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries
    Images

Lmfao Try not to wear brown ...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    So far as I know, no hiker on the AT has ever been shot by a hunter.
    Unfortunately not true.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Protection in hunting season

stock-photo-orange-condom-1535809.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-24-2014 at 23:28.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Protection in hunting season

stock-photo-orange-condom-1535809.jpg
    I can honestly say I've never seen individually wrapped Watch Caps...and certainly not in orange. Talk about sticky out like a sore thumb.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Talk about sticky out like a sore thumb.
    You're doing it wrong!
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Lmfao Try not to wear brown ...
    Over the years other than news stories of hunters either being shot at or actually shot while taking a dump and using white toilet paper I've never heard or read of a hiker being shot in the TN/NC section. I'd say the ones with close calls when nature called were hunters and now you can find camo TP. Most hunting accidental shootings occur when hunters climb over a fence or obstacle without removing live ammo from their firearm chamber of engaging the safety lock. I've hiked most sections in this area during hunting season and never met a hunter who told me "I was about to shoot you". This does not include possible hunters that I did not see but they may have seen me. I never wear any orange but there is usually something on my pack which is an odd color. IMO this issue is just paranoia. Can anyone post a link to a story about an AT hiker being shot during hunting season? Also usually during hunting season there are fresh fallen leaves and a hiker hiking along makes much more noise than do most wildlife. I've only been on WB a few years but every fall many threads pop up about this issue. Some states require ALL persons in active hunting areas to display orange and in TN there are a few places where only hunters are allowed to be during active hunting seasons and none of these areas include the AT. I can see where persons who have not hiked here and are from states many miles from the AT may be a little apprehensive about hiking this area. Well I've had problems with bear hunting dogs, as others have posted here. One way to avoid dog problems is to have your dogs leashed and it is a state law in TN for all companion dogs to be on a leash in any wildlife management area. The reason for this is to prevent dogs from harassing wildlife and to protect your dogs from wildlife. Seems like some hikers would suggest wearing orange head to toe, while many just wear an orange hat, vest or pack cover. IMO most hunters using the AT for hunting know that hikers are around and some may avoid the AT for this reason. I worry more about encountering unleashed hiker's dogs and the growing amounts of trash, unwanted gear and clothes left behind at campsites and shelters on the AT. Chill out and hike on....
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++