Default Installing a grommet in nylon webbing?

OK, I've finally finished my silnylon hex fly,,, & I'm wanting to put a grommet in the nylon webbing tieouts at each end of the ridgeline. The 7/8" nylon webbing tieouts are doubled over & stitched, sandwiching the silnylon tarp ends. I've installed grommets before, but only on tarp material. The little kit I have has a tube-cutter that you place on the material & strike w/ a hammer, cutting out the hole to insert the gommet & pound closed. The problem is, my tube-cutter wouldn't cut thru the nylon webbing. What do I do? How can I install a grommet in a tougher thicker material like webbing?

Thanks!!

First, maybe reconsider why you want to use grommets. Why won't the webbing work by itself?

Otherwise, use a lighter or stove to heat up a nail (hold it with pliers) and melt the hole. Be careful shaping it, though.

I thought about saying " Get a bigger hammer" but I don't want to be considered a wise a** so I won't.

The hot nail trick will work. Don't forget the pliers.

You can also fold the material in half and cut with a razor blade or a very sharp pair of scissors.

Default Installing a grommet in nylon webbing?

A good way to make a hole in nylon webbing without weakening it is to work a long sharp taper, such as a center punch, through and keep wiggling and pushing till you get the hole the size you need. This doesn,t remove any original material and preserves full sstrngth.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    First, maybe reconsider why you want to use grommets. Why won't the webbing work by itself?
    When I go to ground w/ my hammock (the few times I will when camping on open balds), I'll use my trekking poles as supports for the tarp, w/ the end of each pole going into the grommet in the nylon webbing.

++ New Posts ++