WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Planning for after college. ShawnR80's Avatar
    Images

Question The hardest section of the A.T.

What do you guys think is the hardest section of the A.T.? What do you think is the easiest section of the A.T.? Please let us know why these particular sections are hard or easy. Thanks, ShawnR80

Images

Having only hiked the sections south of Fontana, I can't speak for the whole trail, but I remember reading in an old Southern Living article that the toughest section is the ascent of Cheoah Bald, out of NOC. I remember it being a tough haul, with a great reward at the top. One of the hikers I med on their way down told me the view was worth half the climb.

Also where I saw a mother turkey play "broken wing" to lead me away from her babys (whom I also saw).

Default So far, only having hiked New England and Georgia,

I'd have to say that the Mahoosuc range in southern Maine is the toughest overall (lots of near vertical ups and downs in a short stretch - I especially hated Hall and Moody mountains). I've heard that the North Carolina/Tennessee section is hard, but I haven't hiked there yet.

The easiest in the Northeast is probably Massachusetts (I've done a couple of 20 milers there).

The short section I did in Virginia along the Blue Ridge Parkway may have that beat, though.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

The parts that run through towns that sell beer. Sometimes it takes two days to hike one mile or less.

Images

Having only hiked in New England...The Mahoosuc Range is the hardest.

In my opinion there is no easy section of the AT in New England!
    skinny d

Images

The section of the AT in CT that runs along the Housatonic River is lovely, pine needles, soft footing, and flat for quite a while. Very enjoyable! Again, not having hiked the whole thing I can't say if it's THE easiest, but a lot of Scout troops go there for a first AT experience (boy are they surprised later on!).

Jane in CT

Images

PA, the rocks. Nothing else needs to be said. The easiest, the Shenandoah's. Good "Big Mile" days.
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnR80
    hardest?
    Well, it's really kinda hard to qualify something like that... the Mahousics are hard, but are also a lot of fun, what with the bolder scrambling. And since you expect your speed to be near zero through that section, you feel no pressure to try for big miles.

The Cheoah climb is a rough one, but it's right after NOC so you're probably well fed and happy. And, the top is worth the climb (though don't do what I did and decde to camp on top and then get stuck in a thunder and lightning storm in the middle of the night... honestly though I was going to die that night).

Near the end of Virginia it's very hard mentally because you've done all this hiking and realize you're only 50% done. On the flip side of that, once you pass the middle point, the moral boost you get from that is almost incomparable.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnR80
    easiest?
    The river walk in CT probably is the easiest section of actual trail. 8 miles of flat walking bordered by river... pretty. But I got stung by bees three times right before doing that, so I was drained of energy, making it a little harder.

I found PA to be very easy, unlike a lot of people. There were tough climbs up to the ridges, but once up there it was like walking on a table... almost perfectly flat. I also didn't find the rocks to be nearly as bad as people said they were.

A lot of middle to northern VA hiking was fairly easy. The trail is often nice and gently rolling through there. Other times it can be a bear, but it's not that often.

The Jersey swamp walk was easy because it was a mile or two of walking on these cool bog bridges over the swamp. Easy hiking and cool atmosphere.

Sooo.... no easy answer. The trail is what you make of it. If you find the trail getting hard, just slow down and decide to take it easy and look at the surroundings, you'll be surprised how much easier it can be. But of course, there are just times when it's going to kick your ass, no matter what you try. In all though, it's all fun.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

The Cheoah climb is a rough one, but it's right after NOC so you're probably well fed and happy. And, the top is worth the climb (though don't do what I did and decde to camp on top and then get stuck in a thunder and lightning storm in the middle of the night... honestly though I was going to die that night).

Did that on top of Standing Indian Mountain, with my brother. Agreed, we thought we were going to join the Indian that night. Kept thinking of the old iron from the firetower that's still imbedded in the rock on the summit, and just dragged the sleeping bags over our heads and prayed that at least it would be quick.

My profile picture was taken the next morning.

Images

For me a lightning storm near Franklin, NC scared the bajesus out of me. I thought the good Lord was going to call me home that night. I prayed that if he was to do so, just please don't make it hurt. Even worse, imagine a tree crashing through your tent pinning your arms at your side and some porcupine nibbling on your eye balls the next morning. The silly things you think about as you soil your pants.
    Peace

One vote for Southern Maine. NOBOs are in great shape by that time, but the Mahousics can still kick butt. Especially that greasy Monson slate with roots and rocks. The flip side is, it is beautiful country and the Mahousic Notch is Disney Land. The easiest? Anything flat, dry and cushy - maybe 25 miles out of 2175. The last 20 miles of the 100 mile wilderness, the New Jersey board walks, maybe a couple of miles scattered elsewhere. Easy does not equate to best.

I don't find any part of the AT physically challenging.

Like Ender posted, the answer all depends on how you define tough.

Mahoosic Notch has the reputation for being the toughest mile on the AT. But, I found the bouldering completely different from every other mile on the AT, so I enjoyed the change. Not the toughest for me, just the slowest.

And certainly there are some good climbs with memories. But to me, the toughest mile is that last mile of the day, after it's been a long day, usually hot and humid, and I'm fairly well beat.

Funny, no one mentioned the whites.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

That's cuz there are lots more difficult places on the Trail than the Whites, Kirk.

As you become more familiar with the Trail, you may yet discover this for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    That's cuz there are lots more difficult places on the Trail than the Whites, Kirk.

As you become more familiar with the Trail, you may yet discover this for yourself.
    Hope so, Jack. Maybe after I've hiked the AT a couple of hundred times, my s*&t won't stink either. Keep your fingers crossed.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMcquest
    Funny, no one mentioned the whites.
    Yeah, I didn't find the White's that tough at all... unlike the rest of the trail where the builders felt the need to go over every little peak, ledge, bump and pimple (often going out of the way to do so), in the White's the trail often skirts around the peaks, with side trail up to them if you want to summit. There were some tough climbs up, but once up it was pretty level hiking. Even the climb up Washington wasn't that difficult (though that could have had something to do with the 40mph tail wind I had going up). Plus, it's pretty up there, so you're distracted from the effort by the views.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Default Hardest Section

Hi, I thru-hiked in 2004. My trail name is Junior. I live in Maine. In my opinion, the hardest section of the AT is that, approximately, 10 mile stretch from Little Haystack on the Franconia Ridge to South Twin Mountain in New Hampshire. The trail is rarely smooth. It requires a lot of upper body effort to get through some sections due to boulders the size of vehicles. My poles were useless. There are also several steep descents and climbs. I was "only" able to hike 13 miles that day. In my opinion, the single most difficult mile is Mahoosic Notch. It took me an hour to get through it. I had to take off my backpack at least 3 times due to having to go under tight spaces under the boulders. And then, that climb up to Mahoosic Arm is just not fair. After those 2 sections, most of the rest of the AT is easy, especially the flat sections such as those in the 100 mile Wilderness.

Images

Hey Kirk, If these guys want a tough climb in the Whites, have them go up Mount Willey from The Willey House in Crawford Notch. Beautiful view once you get up there. You'll have to get on your hands and knees. The Willey's are my ancestors (Obviously not my direct ancestors) And Me and My Dad and Son hiked it together. 3 Generations of Willeys on Mt Willey.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

My vote is for one continuous tough section that would take in the Whites AND the Mahoosucs--and even beyond that northbound a few days. Not every mile is tough, but as a "region" for me this qualifies as the toughest.

The toughest single climb for me was about a mile and a half in the middle of the climb up Katahdin.
    Last edited by Skyline; 05-01-2006 at 10:30.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++