WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question AT - Alabama to Maine

I understand that the 100 mi. Pinhoti Trail will soon be connected to the AT. Does that mean that a thru-hike will someday be from Alabama to Maine (or the flip)? What will happen to Springer? Just a-wonderin'

Quote Originally Posted by jimsprinkel
    I understand that the 100 mi. Pinhoti Trail will soon be connected to the AT. Does that mean that a thru-hike will someday be from Alabama to Maine (or the flip)? What will happen to Springer? Just a-wonderin'
    The southern terminus of the AT will not change. It will remain Springer - as it should. The Pinhoti (via the Benton MacKaye) simply opens up possibilities for the hiker. Which IMO is a good thing.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

and in case you were not aware....you can actually hike further south than the pinhoti, all the way to the florida keys. you can also hike further north than katahdin, all the way to the northern tip of newfoundland (now).
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    The southern terminus of the AT will not change. It will remain Springer - as it should. The Pinhoti (via the Benton MacKaye) simply opens up possibilities for the hiker. Which IMO is a good thing.
    WHY,THE APPALACHIAN MOUNTAINS START IN ALABAMA NOT GEORGIA
    NEO

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    WHY,THE APPALACHIAN MOUNTAINS START IN ALABAMA NOT GEORGIA
    NEO
    Because the federally designated southern terminus of the AT is Springer. Other trails take you to Alabama (Benton Mackaye, Pinhoti).

Images

As a native Alabamian I once wanted the end extended to Alabama at one time, but the more I work on the trail systems I would rather keep the separate as Mowgli points out. Having more trails and more options is a great thing, but one does not need to be co-opted into the other to still be a great trail. The Pinhoti of Alabama has it's own flavor which is wilder than the AT and I would rather that be preserved than have it meet all the marking and shelter norms of the AT.

I also think the same thing for the trails like the BMT along the AT corridor. Not all trails should be like the AT or an official part of the AT for a hiker to enjoy them. Otherwise what would be the point of trying different trails? The AT style of hiking trail should not become the franchise model of hiking trails.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Good points Sarge. Plus the maintaining organizations are proud of their individual trails - and in most cases want to keep them separate and distinct.

Images

Default Off Topic

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    As a native Alabamian .....
    Hi, Sgt. Where you from? I grew up in Talladega.... my wife agreed to marry me when I proposed contigent upon us not living there!

Hope you're well....

Steve
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Images

Born In Decatur Alabama, I also lived in Alabaster a while and my Father now lives down in Fair Hope. I thru-hiked the Pinhoti in 2000 - I think it was about 105 miles back then.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Default Hmmm...

Greetings from another Decatur native now living in Huntsville (via Tuscaloosa and NYC). I think you know Krewzer, who is my best friend...

Born In Decatur Alabama, I also lived in Alabaster a while and my Father now lives down in Fair Hope. I thru-hiked the Pinhoti in 2000 - I think it was about 105 miles back then.
    Close to 138 today. Here's the best website about the trail - http://www.hmtc.org

Images

Close to 138 today. Here's the best website about the trail - http://www.hmtc.org
    An excellent site. Best to go straight to the site map at
    http://www.hmtc.org/sitemap.html

Another native Alabamian here, Rock. Born in Huntsville, raised in Shelby County (Westover and Chelsea), college at Montevallo while I worked my way through school at Shelby Medical Center in Alabaster. Lived in Wetumpka and Liberty Park (now Vestavia) before landing in Georgia in '96. Hope to get back before I retire, but retirement in Bama is pretty firm, either on acreage in Clay, Cleburne or Randolph Counties, or on Smith Lake, Lake Wedowee or Lake Martin.

Take Care,

Tim

Images

My brother-in-law just built a house last year on Smith Lake and my wife's parents are trying to get a place out there too.

I did some of my earliest trips down in the Sipsey Wilderness area. I try to get down there whenever I visit my mother in Decatur. When I lived in Shelby county we would just go wherever we wished in the woods around the area - who needs a trail when you live in a rural Alabama county? Of course recent trips to the same area have demonstrated those areas we once fish, hunted, and camped in are now strip malls and apartment complexes. That is one reason I think protected trail areas in the East are so important because as it is said in Lynard Skynard's "All I Can Do Is Write In A Song": "I can feel the concrete slowly creeping..."
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

That Skynyrd tune, along with John Anderson's "Look Away" and "Seminole Wind" really captures the sprawl of the South.

Dixie's had a facelift, I guess she's lookin' better,
    But I kind of like the old one, I never will forget her.

I had 500 acres of timberland to roam on next to us in Westover, hunting and riding firelanes like they were my own. A natural gas pipeline that passed near us would take me as far as I could go on my dirt bike and be back by dark.

Smith Lake's the best buy for lake property in Alabama, perhaps the south. Lots go for less than half what they bring on Martin. It's beautiful and clean. With much of its watershed from Sipsey and Bankhead, it's rated the third cleanest lake in the United States.

Take Care,

Tim

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rich
    Dixie's had a facelift, I guess she's lookin' better,
    But I kind of like the old one, I never will forget her.
    Amen brother.

I remember when there was a two mile walk through the woods (the shortcut) to get to the closest store to where I lived in Shelby Country. Back then it seemed like a burden to walk, but now that I look back on it, those were some of the best times I had growing up.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Neat - we lived in Alabaster after we got married - were there for about 8 yrs before moving to Lawrenceville, GA....

One of my favorite hikes is up the Old Odum Scout Trail (from the High Falls trail head) to overnight at the trail intersection on the ridge where there's a spring on top of the mountain, then to the top on the Pinhoti the next day.... we've taken the scout troop over 4 or 5 times in the last 10 yrs.... A buddy and I pulled out of his driveway back in April, planning on going up to Shining Rock, and decided at the last minute to go over and do this hike again.

it's a small world!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

++ New Posts ++