WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We stopped at Lookout during our section this past October. I don't think you need permission to stay there although I seem to recall they had a no fires warning. I suspect it wouldn't be safe anyway as the structure looks like it would go up with a single match. Winter might be a good time to visit as the place was literally crawling with flies when we peeked inside.

p.s. Views North and East toward the Whites were grand. I bet the view in the winter would be totally awesome. Post a trip report after.

The crimes discussed earlier took place in the spring of 1981, not 1984.

Winturri Shelter is perfectly OK, but I suggest that Northbounders continue a few miles (3.8 actuallY) and stay over with Dan Quinn on Rt. 12. He's a wonderful guy, his barn is a very cool place, and this will be one of the highlights of your trip.

Here are a couple Photos of the lookout cabin. Photo
    Last edited by veteran; 02-20-2006 at 11:19.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rough View Post
    I think you're referring to a place called "The Lookout", a 4-sided cabin located 2 tenths of a mile off the AT and 2.4 miles before (hiking north on the A, though you're actually going east in this section in Vermont) of Wintturi Shelter. It is located on private property but is open to hikers (the owner could change his mind at some point) and has a ladder to the roof where there is a view. As far as I know there is no water near the cabin.
    I stayed at the lookout on July 5th 2007. Great sunset.. I'll add the photos soon to my gallery. Probably the highlight of my section hike to have this all to myself. There's signs saying that hikers are welcome to stay, just clean up and respect the fact that if the owners are staying there, you have to move on.

Probably could sleep like 15 or so. No water around.

As far as the winturri shelter, water source was okay, considering it was kind of dry around there. very clean privy.

A nice stop to dry out gear. Lots of sun in the AM. As of July 2010, the place has lost about half of it's roof shingles. Not too dry inside, I would imagine. Use caution on the porch, the boards are getting a bit soft. W/o some TLC, this place will be unusable within a few years. Too bad.

Cosmo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++