WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

"Met Spiritual Pilgrim… 12 yrs in the Army, he is looking to let go of some of his feelings re: the Military. When he went in he thought he was pretty bad but, he said he has changed and his best moments were when he was helping the Kurds in Turkey instead of trying to exterminate them".

Above was copied from his June 29th journal entry at his website. Not really sure what he is trying to say here. Almost like a newspaper reporter only reporting half the truth and taking thngs out of context.

Yes the Army has pissed me off. Not sure at all about the "he thought he was pretty bad" part. Don't know where or how he got that. Operation Provide Comfort was the best part of my career. I never recall when we were trying to exterminate any Kurds but we had a chance to help them long before the 1st Gulf war and turned our backs on them. Their leader at that time (Barzani) went to Iran for help against Saddam Hussein.

And do all you history buffs know that Ho Chi Minh asked the U.S. for help and we turned on backs on him too? So he went to the Communists.

One last thing. Heard a small bit of a news story on the radio. I think it said that the Gulf War Syndrome is a bunch of bunk. Can anybody else see why I have bitter feelings toward the Army?
    I hate Nike but Just Do It anyway!

Spiritual Pillgrim,

Reference your post (#21) advising, “Yes the Army has pissed me off. ... (A) news story ... said that the Gulf War Syndrome is a bunch of bunk. Can anybody else see why I have bitter feelings toward the Army?”

Interesting post.

I strongly suspected during the early hours of darkness, the morning of my first full day in the Army, that I probably had made a mistake. I, and a bunch of others like me, stood around for more than four hours waiting for someone to assign us our military service numbers. To be uniform, we stripped our upper bodies down to wearing only our tee shirts. This was in January. We were outside. This was not going to be a good fit for me, for the rest of my life. The subsequent three years included many challenges, which I met.

I retired from the US Government and I’ve been in a few private enterprises, large and small. I’ve concluded all large businesses, whether government or private, have a tendency to work that way.

I don’t think I really had or have bitter feelings toward the Army. I got out at the end of my enlistment.

Without any agenda or criticism in mind, why did you stick around for 12 years?
    “The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to earth. ...
    Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it.
    Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

no shoes is lighter,cheaper,dryer,cooler,faster,less damaging to feet, corrects lifetime of unatural shoe foot, looks cool,allowes travel through any terrane any wheather with more sure footing,less jarring to upper legs,and when footwear is dawned for various reasons, the shoeless trained foot can go with minimal footwear with minimal fitting requirments cause there feet will ride in anything .
    matthewski

no shoes is lighter,cheaper,dryer,cooler,faster,less damaging to feet, corrects lifetime of unatural shoe foot, looks cool,allowes travel through any terrane any wheather with more sure footing,less jarring to upper legs,and when footwear is dawned for various reasons, the shoeless trained foot can go with minimal footwear with minimal fitting requirments cause there feet will ride in anything .
    matthewski

did i forget to mention safer on all climbs walks crawls and even minnisota smithing. and my personal dream is to have eskimo feet.there gross what with there calouse exstending way up the sides of the feet and being fireproof and cold proof and all ,.. but i want em.if girls can buy boobs why cant i buy eskimo feet?
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Vi+
    Without any agenda or criticism in mind, why did you stick around for 12 years?
    Did 10 yrs from 1893 to 1993. Got married in '88. Decided world travel was not for me anymore, my family was more important.

Following 9/11, called to active duty for 2 yrs, volunteered for another 6 months. Would have stayed longer, but the reasons I didn't is all part of that biterness I have. Long story.
    I hate Nike but Just Do It anyway!

Default Zaleski to testify in DC

Barefoot AT hiker to testify at Congressional briefing:

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Re...ing__0927.html

Journal Entries
    Images

One of the southbounders were telling me that Zaleski has dropped off the trail? Anyone know anything?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We ran into Tyvek near Rock Spring Hut in SNP just yesterday (9/30) as we finished up a short section we had skipped last year. Still heading south. Said he stopped in D.C. to attend congressional hearings. I knew it was him at seeing his bare feet, then heard he had started from Katahdin and had his homemade Tyvek backpack.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++