Well as my first post, I thought I would ask y'all a few questions that popped up in my mind after reading through various threads for the past day and a half! I know these have probably been answered before, so I'm sorry if these are tedious repeats for everyone. Oh...and they will definately not be my last questions as I plan my thru-hike!
- Seems most are anti cell phone. Is this because of the distraction of the ringing or because it's not "roughing it" to carry one? Is it frowned upon amongst hikers to carry one, turned off so you can have it for emergencies or when in town, away from other hikers?
- Dogs. I have 2. I know it will suck leaving them for the duration of the thru-hike, but what do people do with pets? I have this fear or leaving them with someone who becomes attached and then wants to keep 'em.
- Doc Bronner's. I have used it before I even considered a thru-hike, but that tingle feeling is kinda annoying. Will I change my mind when it's all I have? And do people mostly use the mint because the smell doesn't attract animals or because of the tingle?
- Just about every book I read gives the pros and cons to internal vs. external packs. Internal is comfy cause it forms to your back; external is nice cause it allows air flow and so on... So which is it? And none of this "it's a personal preference" stuff. Let me know what YOU like and why
- Coffee. I drink it every morning. Should I ween myself off of it or learn to love the taste of instant?
-Last one for now... TP. Do they make a kind that is more biodegradable than others? Do you have to pack it out? Bury it?
Thanks guys. I'm very stoked about planning my thru-hike and this site is an awesome resourse. You all rock the house.