WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    •Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time To Fly 97
    Hi Skyline,

Yes...very good memories of Virginia. I waited a few days for K to show up, then hiked with her off and on up to Troutsdale. My whole thru-hike was like that - I'd take series of zeros here and there for fun (4rth July in DC, Jersey with friends and family, couple days for pink-eye, etc.) and then pull a bunch of big days to catch up, so to speak. Ended up summitting on Oct. 23rd in total snow and hail and 18 degree nights. Good stuff!

New daughter on the 10th (first child), Madeleine...seems like everything else that was priority just kinda slipped away. Enjoying these times. My wife Evelina is in my profile pic.

Things are great Skyline. How about you - it is good to hear from you!!

TTF

Well, I summitted on a gorgeous day, 8/15/03. But I had just dealt with three straight weeks of rain to get it. :-) Took me eight years to do what it took you one year to do, but I'm not complaining.

I'll never forget the assistance you gave me when that hateful Kelty external frame I was carrying back then bit the dust. Jack is right: You are one of a kind. And congrats on Madeleine and Evelina.

Today? Still living in the Shenandoah Valley, spend 35 to 40 weekends/year up in SNP or someplace like it either playing or working, and do a couple longer hikes each year. Still single, and at my age likely to stay that way :-)

If you're ever in the area, look me up via my profile (e-mail link) here on WB.
    Last edited by Skyline; 08-03-2006 at 15:40.

Images

Hi Skyline,

I remember that day with your pack - I was happy to help and completely enjoyed the conversations we had.

Congratulations on your summit. It is amazing how we are all hiking the same trail and everyone's experiences are different. I did it in one year...but I was fortuneate to have the time off - couldn't do it that way these days.

Why are you single? You have to go out and find a woman my friend - they don't come to you. Just find a potential kindred spirit you want to get to know better and ask her out. You are a cool guy - shouldn't be a problem after that. And age means nothing - my grandfather got remarried at 92!

Same here - if you get to Northern NJ, trail magic and good conversation awaits!

TTF

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Hi Skyline,

I remember that day with your pack - I was happy to help and completely enjoyed the conversations we had.

Congratulations on your summit. It is amazing how we are all hiking the same trail and everyone's experiences are different. I did it in one year...but I was fortuneate to have the time off - couldn't do it that way these days.

Why are you single? You have to go out and find a woman my friend - they don't come to you. Just find a potential kindred spirit you want to get to know better and ask her out. You are a cool guy - shouldn't be a problem after that. And age means nothing - my grandfather got remarried at 92!

Same here - if you get to Northern NJ, trail magic and good conversation awaits!

TTF

Oh man, there are a few on here who are going to get a chuckle out of that post. So I guess I better, uh, set the record "straight" before someone else does so more crudely. Talk about how a WB thread can change course!

Unlike the last couple years of my section hike, or my online personna, I wasn't "out" to most other hikers back in '97. So you have a chuckle too, preferably in a good way, and I hope you still think I was worth talking to.

So...my age has nothing to do with me being woman-less, but it may have a little something to do with me being single. Well, that and my chosen place of residence is less than conducive for meeting kindred spirits that I might actually have something in common with, and the laws here aren't exactly supportive if I did happen to cross paths with the right kindred spirit. But otherwise life is basically good, no complaints...being single has its good points too.
    Last edited by Skyline; 08-03-2006 at 18:06.

Images

"Oh man, there are a few on here who are going to get a chuckle out of that post."

More than a chuckle........

......and a book to be written

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte
    "Oh man, there are a few on here who are going to get a chuckle out of that post."

More than a chuckle........

......and a book to be written

Nah. It might prove to be therapeutic, but I doubt it would sell.

Images

Whoops! : )

Thanks for setting me straight but not narrow...so to speak. That must be challenging in the South my friend. When you make the trek to the much more liberal NY/NJ area one day (hopefully soon), there are PLENTY of eligable people I know who would be happy to buy you a drink...but the first is on me!

TTF

Images

Whoops! : )

Thanks for setting me straight but not narrow...so to speak. That must be challenging in the South my friend. When you make the trek to the much more liberal NY/NJ area one day (hopefully soon), there are PLENTY of eligable people I know who would be happy to buy you a drink...but the first is on me!

TTF

Thanx for the positive feedback.

It's a quandary more than a challenge. Southern, country folk can be and usually are some of the nicest most giving people in the world--they just vote wrong! LOL, that's a line from a speech I wrote for a progressive politician recently but I do believe it.

I have roots in the South (tho I've lived in the North) and except for the political climate I really prefer it here--especially in this rural paradise. But of course the political climate affects the social climate, and the social climate here is limiting--so that's where the quandary comes in. As time goes on, cities increasingly freak me out (too fast-paced, crowded, impersonal) tho sometimes I yearn for the more open-minded communities one often finds there. But then, the four times in my life I've met with violence from bigots--these were always in the aforementioned big cities. What to do? What to do?

Anyway, I've found 99.5% of the AT community to be tolerant, if not outright supportive, of diversity of all types. We are quite a diverse bunch most of us and I think the rest of the world could learn a lot from us about how to get along with one another (on the Trail itself for sure, um, but on the internet maybe not so much). My earlier hesitancy--mostly out of fears re: safety--to be open about who I am, was, in hindsight, unnecessary and I'm not proud of the years of my section hike when I stayed silent.

Images

I can appreciate all your thoughts. I feel that society evolves into tolerance. It seems obvious to me... and I strongly feel that every single person's unique identity, talents and perspectives should be welcomed at the collective table.

United we stand...

TTF

I didn't read the thread, but here are my expenses:
    Trail food - $586, mostly prepared dehydated stuff at home and got them sent in mail drops
    Town food - $1127
    Lodging - $870
    Gear - $1625 This includes any equipment that was on the trail at any time between GA and ME. Nearly none of it was purchased just for the thru hike. I've been buying stuff for years and have enough gear to outfit 2 or 3 people (if they're the right size)
    Transportation - about $225. This includes a bus to Dahlonega, A train from CT to get home and a few shuttles in between. I didn't shuttle much.
    Postage - I lost track of postage, but it ran into the hundreds. I had about 15 maildrops that cost (I'll guess) an average of $10, plus I sent gear home and/or used a bounce box several times.
    Good Luck. SP
    I hate Nike but Just Do It anyway!

oops looks like i posted to the wrong thread

maybe not. just lots of stuff since the 1st one

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith
    I don't smoke or use drugs, rarely drink, and have only stayed in a motel one night so far (if you count the Doyle as a hostel, as I do). I have not pink-blazed at all yet, either. Over half my hiking food is mailed to me via maildrops. My largest gear purchases after I have started my hike have not been out of the funds I carried with me (new pack when Dana proved to be a lousy pack when used for actual hiking, 3 pairs of trail runners, some of my maps, some of my Aqua Mira, etc.) I eat considerably fewer restaurant meals than do most other thrus I have observed, often just getting 5 bucks or so worth of cheap canned goods (per day in town) from the local dollar store to eat while in a Trail town. I have already run through over $2K. I would say that anyone who budgets less than five grand for a thruhike is planning very unwisely, that their odds of completion are thereby considerably lowered. Too, their hike's enjoyment level will be much reduced as well.

My advice? Raise your income and/or lower your expenses enough to have at minimum 3x as much money saved as you are planning.
    I'm just catching up on this thread. There's something wrong here. You tell us how you don't spend money, no drinks, no smoking, little town food, one motel. half your food in drops, fewer town meals, etc (What's pink-blazing to you, buying chicks motels/drinks?) ....

How did you manage to spend $2000 by NJ without having fun?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++