WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak
    My plan is to complete my hike in under 100 days but I'll push for 85-90 days.
    Why bother hiking at all? Just can't figure out you speed phreaks.
    I hate Nike but Just Do It anyway!

There were two southbounders in town today (Hanover) who don't expect to get to Springer til around Valentine's Day.

Everybody does the Trail their own way.

Doing the Trail in 100 days certainly isn't for everyone---and it certainly isn't possible for everyone either---but people have to find out what works for them.

There were two southbounders in town today (Hanover) who don't expect to get to Springer til around Valentine's Day.

Everybody does the Trail their own way.

Doing the Trail in 100 days certainly isn't for everyone---and it certainly isn't possible for everyone either---but people have to find out what works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo
    The fact that most people wear overblown running shoes as "boots" these days accounts for a lot of the problems..People seem so obsessed with weight of things no one wears a real mountaineering or hiking boot anymore
    I lost both vibram soles of full grain leather boots in 16 days sectioning PA. Just my 2 pennies.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual Pillgrim
    Why bother hiking at all? Just can't figure out you speed phreaks.
    You have to hike your own hike. I'm not pushing speed hiking on anyone. It's not for everyone. It just happens to work for me and I enjoy it. It's not like I'm oblivious to everything around me when I'm on the trail. I stop at all spots of interest, take tons of photographs, and still have plenty of time to lounge in camp when the day is done.

I can't imagine hiking with a 50 pound pack and covering a few miles per day. But if this works for someone, then I'm very happy for them. I don't feel there is a "wrong way" to hike. Stick with what works.

I've only section hiked most of New England, but here are a couple of surprises.

I found the section in Vermont between the Long Trail and the NH border to be difficult because of the puds and frustrating for lack of views.

Southern Maine was as hard as, if not more so than, the Whites. Hall and Moody mountains were notable for their steepness and poor footing. (Carlo Col, though, just before the Me/NH border, is probably the most mentioned site of falls due to the slippery rock than any other section of the trail I've read about). I slipped and fell there myself.

Mahoosuc notch was a piece of cake. I did it on a nice, dry, cool day. Wouldn't want to do it in the rain, however. Mahoosuc Arm, on the other hand, was a pita!

The lakes region of Maine is worth the trip (assumed, since I'm a section hiker).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++