WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How important are maps to you while hiking the AT?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    Your poll is obviously anti-map. Too bad because noobs can get the wrong general impression.
    I don't see how the poll is anti-map Especially since most have voted under the "I have used maps and they have been a big help" category.

BTW, who is Former Admin? According to his status he's a Guest, which I guess means he can't post. The only other posts I've seen from him are asking for opinions/experiences at various shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    BTW, who is Former Admin? According to his status he's a Guest, which I guess means he can't post. The only other posts I've seen from him are asking for opinions/experiences at various shelters.
    Well, if you'd clean out your mailbox you'd know.

Maybe one day I'll get around to it

I use a trail guide and USGS map at home for the planning stage and pocket profiles on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    In his gear book, Andrew Skurka writes about how a map and compass are far superior to GPS (for those who know how to use them). So at least one hiker with way more backcountry travel experience than I would tend to disagree.
    Now I'd love to see how he navigates around here with the maps available. Tourist destinations are shown anyway.
    Only road maps here in Phuket.

I don't have the same experience as Skurka but have been in situations where the fog was too great for the map to be of much use.
    Sure, I could wait a few hours for it to lift, or camp there or something.
    Or, I could get out my GPS and see that I was closer to that cliff than I had thought.

Certainly not knocking Andrew Skurka. The man and is adventures is impressive.
    But, there are just too many advantages of the GPS over the map.
    Sure you need a good one (that won't break when you drop it, or get it wet), and of course know how to use it.
    Do a CDT hike or similar and you will learn. Take both map/compass and GPS with the topo maps installed.

Wonder what the military grunts would say these days?
    I've been reading some books on the Viet Nam war and keep thinking that they could have done a lot more with a GPS.
    I just can't picture those guys pulling out a map anymore. (certainly not to guess where they are exactly)

Times are a-changing folks.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Is it a mistake to bring a map?
    It might be a mistake not to.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    ...Take both map/compass and GPS with the topo maps installed.

...Wonder what the military grunts would say these days?

...Times are a-changing folks.
    Yes, times are a-changing, but the military grunts these days will tell you exactly what you wrote - take both map/compass and GPS. And to develop basic land-nav (ie, map and compass) skills and to not rely solely on GPS. In other words, belt and suspenders.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I'm just a stubborn old-school adventurer myself. I carry a digital Camera, i have carried my Cell phone for my families peace of mind. It's GPS is not enabled. [another thread and can of worms!] As I said earlier. navigating through the boonies by map & compass is fun.
    This is all I can say on this matter..........................again.

I'm reminded by a story that Bill Bryson tells us in his book "A walk in the woods",there are two people on top of Mt. Washington in NH,lost and tired.They call authorities for help,and when asked of there postition say,there position as North 44.27067 and West 71.30422 but have no idea exactly what that means.......Coordinates given are for the ex.only
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-10-2012 at 21:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    Map buffs should check out the Historic USGS Maps at the UNH DIMOND LIBRARY. They have a collection of awesome "antique" topo maps. Get to the Monson maps via the following link:

http://docs.unh.edu/towns/MonsonMaineMapList.htm

Omar,
    "You're young 'til you die"
    Cool! Topo maps on line!
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

GPS? We're talking about the AT.

And I have a friend who I travelled cross country with in my van back in '89.
    We were in Wyoming and heading up to Glacier NP.
    I wanted to catch some Zzs so handed him the compass (and the drivers seat) and told him to just keep heading north.
    When I woke up, we were in CO.
    He was an experienced hiker. (but thought that the silver side of the needle was the one pointing north)
    So, which is worse? Not knowing what the numbers mean, or not knowing which way a compass points?
    Ignorance is everywhere. That's not the point.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

And I have a friend who I travelled cross country with in my van back in '89.
    We were in Wyoming and heading up to Glacier NP.
    I wanted to catch some Zzs so handed him the compass (and the drivers seat) and told him to just keep heading north.
    He was an experienced hiker. (but thought that the silver side of the needle was the one pointing north)
    So, which is worse? Not knowing what the numbers mean, or not knowing which way a compass points?
    Ignorance is everywhere. That's not the point.
    Yeah, but if you had a GPS you wouldn't have such a great story You got to have some memories from that trip

I have a compass,and the Red needle points south,Truth!
    and have never been able to figure out why?....little help here!
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-10-2012 at 21:29.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    GPS? We're talking about the AT.
    In case of emer the you-are-here-function comes in handy when deciding on the quickest way out. I have it on my iPhone. Lovely feature.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Got GPS in all my autos too, but that is for another forum. All I can say is it makes cross country travel so much easier. Stupid turns are identified quickly, and not once I'm in the wrong state..........lol

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    In case of emer the you-are-here-function comes in handy when deciding on the quickest way out. I have it on my iPhone. Lovely feature.
    That reminds me of the time I stumbled upon a man and his wife who had just broken her ankle just over the summit of Levelland Mt. about 1.5 miles north of Neel Gap. It took me 3 different times with a 911 dispatcher and twice with her supervisor to explain that we were not on Blood Mt. and that they should send the rescue crews to Mountain Crossing parking lot and walk "north" through the breezeway and not to cross the highway and head up Blood Mt. He still seemed a little skeptical when we ended the conversation. I am not sure if the GPS coordinates would have helped in that situation. The one thing that concerns me with GPS is there are different formats in which the coordinates are displayed. It may have created more confusion than what was already occurring.... Use a map and compass, a GPS, a trail guide, the stars or any combination, but for Pete's sake, it pays to know where you are. It may only be the AT, but I don't think its a great idea to wander blindly onto any trail hoping nothing bad happens.
    TJ

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver256 View Post
    I am not sure if the GPS coordinates would have helped in that situation.
    If emer services can't/don't do coordinates, something is wrong.

The one thing that concerns me with GPS is there are different formats in which the coordinates are displayed. It may have created more confusion than what was already occurring....
    This is the only weak spot. Two systems can be kinda close which can cause problems when relaying to another person. I was in the wild in Alaska trying to find a landing strip in the middle of nowhere. I was using one datum set and was 100ish yards off. My buddy luckily was using the other and walked right into it. Thing is a map would not have gotten me closer than the 100ish yards I was off.

If the datum set had me going to Kansas I would have known the coordinates were wrong immed.

Use a map and compass, a GPS, a trail guide, the stars or any combination, but for Pete's sake, it pays to know where you are. It may only be the AT, but I don't think its a great idea to wander blindly onto any trail hoping nothing bad happens.
    On the AT, no way am I taking a map, not a chance. In some place like Alaska, damn straight, but I had a sat phone too..........
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 06-10-2012 at 22:10.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    If emer services can't/don't do coordinates, something is wrong. This is the only weak spot. Two systems can be kinda close which can cause problems when relaying to another person. I was in the wild in Alaska trying to find a landing strip in the middle of nowhere. I was using one datum set and was 100ish yards off. My buddy luckily was using the other and walked right into it. Thing is a map would not have gotten me closer than the 100ish yards I was off. If the datum set had me going to Kansas I would have known the coordinates were wrong immed. On the AT, no way am I taking a map, not a chance. In some place like Alaska, damn straight, but I had a sat phone too..........
    Funny thing is, I didn't have a map that day either, but I had been there enough times to know exactly where I was, and with out me being positively sure of where we were, I am almost positive the guys at the 911 center would have convinced me that we were on Blood Mountain and not Levelland. Truthfully, it was simply a day hike for me, out and back....had that been a multiple day hike in an unfamiliar area (even on the AT) I would have had at a minimum a compass, and topo map. I would have studied an available guide as well and possibly thrown in a copy of the pages that cover the section(s) I am hiking.
    TJ

Funny thing is, I didn't have a map that day either, but I had been there enough times to know exactly where I was, and with out me being positively sure of where we were, I am almost positive the guys at the 911 center would have convinced me that we were on Blood Mountain and not Levelland. Truthfully, it was simply a day hike for me, out and back....had that been a multiple day hike in an unfamiliar area (even on the AT) I would have had at a minimum a compass, and topo map. I would have studied an available guide as well and possibly thrown in a copy of the pages that cover the section(s) I am hiking.

There is an iPhone app for the AT that will tell you exactly where you are on the trail. It will tell you how many TRAIL MILES to various landmarks (shelters, roads, etc). There are a few places with recent relocations where it will be off due to the app map not being updated. Odds of the paper map being updated to the relocations is even less.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++