WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Vargo Titanium Kettle, 0.9 L

I have been looking for another pot/cooking. I have used an MSR .85L titanium kettle for years, with a diameter of 4.25". When I cook with it, the flames always like up around the sides and those precious BTU's are wasted, heating up the surrounding air. Now my wife has a stainless mixing bowl that would be perfect-flat on bottom with a gentle upcurve to the wider top. But it has no lid.

Surfing the net I found the above. It has a diameter of 5.75", much wider, but does not curve out & upwards, but whatever. Is anyone familiar with it? It is non stick, which I have never used hiking.

Just curious if anyone has found any drawbacks to it and especially anyone's thoughts if it would help the heating & cooking any

2005 Camino de santiago

Default here is the Link!

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    I have been looking for another pot/cooking. I have used an MSR .85L titanium kettle for years, with a diameter of 4.25". When I cook with it, the flames always like up around the sides and those precious BTU's are wasted, heating up the surrounding air. Now my wife has a stainless mixing bowl that would be perfect-flat on bottom with a gentle upcurve to the wider top. But it has no lid.

Surfing the net I found the above. It has a diameter of 5.75", much wider, but does not curve out & upwards, but whatever. Is anyone familiar with it? It is non stick, which I have never used hiking.

Just curious if anyone has found any drawbacks to it and especially anyone's thoughts if it would help the heating & cooking any
    darn! I forgot the link!

http://moontrail.com/vargo-ti-lite-nonstick-kettle.php

I have just got to make a donation soon so I can edit my quite-often mistakes and omissions

Images

I have that pot. I only use it to boil water but it does have a non-stick surface. I like it no complaints at all. I bought mine at Trail Days last yr. If you can hold out till then you will get it cheaper
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Compare it against the Evernew 0.9Liter before you jump.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Vargo:
    non-stick 0.9L pot, no handle
    Weight - 4.0 oz without grabber, 5.6 with grabber
    Cost - $48.00

Evernew:
    Nonstick 0.9L pot with built in handles
    Weight - 4.93 oz
    Cost - $48.95
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH

Evernew:
    uncoated 0.9L pot with built in handles
    Weight - 4.01 oz
    Cost - $38.95
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH

I like the third option.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

I use the Vargo nonstick 1.3 and it's worked great so far - no complaints.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Evernew 1.3 litre is good too! 6.25 dia. No spills. I am sloppy.

I also like the handle attached.

http://www.rei.com/product/6188524.htm

Images

Default Explain

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    I think that titanium pots are overrated, overpriced, and not a very good $/oz ratio for saving weight.
    What's your reason behind this opinion? Have you had a bad experience?

I carried my .9 evernew last year the whole way, and it held up like an old bodark fence post. My coffee cup, stove, and spoon all fit nice inside the pot which could usually be stored in my food bag. I feel like I got a fair return on my investment...
    Last edited by khaynie; 10-19-2006 at 14:47.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by khaynie View Post
    What's your reason behind this opinion? Have you had a bad experience?

I carried my .9 evernew last year the whole way, and it held up like an old bodark fence post. My coffee cup, stove, and spoon all fit nice inside the pot which could usually be stored in my food bag. I feel like I got a fair return on my investment...
    I think they are tougher than the aluminum pots in the same weight/size range. Not much difference otherwise.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

While I purchased an expensive titanium pot (Snow Peak 700ml), I could have certainly gotten by with a less expensive, less durable aluminum pot. In fact, I'd prefer it if it were lighter, as it would be very difficult to abuse a pot enough during a hike to make it unusable.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Default pot flames

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    While I purchased an expensive titanium pot (Snow Peak 700ml), I could have certainly gotten by with a less expensive, less durable aluminum pot. In fact, I'd prefer it if it were lighter, as it would be very difficult to abuse a pot enough during a hike to make it unusable.
    I agree it's hard to abuse a pot; however, my last trip I've got a buddy that would tend to disagree.

The last trip I went on with thim he had a stove that would burn as hot as an acetylene torch. He forgot to turn the flames down (not sure if he was using oxygen ) but wound up burning the dang pot into. So, be careful with your pot and flame selection ~ no pun intended.

I torched an aluminum pot on a Whisperlight in my young and dumb days. Not a real problem with an alcohol stove.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by khaynie View Post
    I agree it's hard to abuse a pot; however, my last trip I've got a buddy that would tend to disagree.

The last trip I went on with thim he had a stove that would burn as hot as an acetylene torch. He forgot to turn the flames down (not sure if he was using oxygen ) but wound up burning the dang pot into. So, be careful with your pot and flame selection ~ no pun intended.
    and I have photographic that you can't do this to a SP600 with a canister stove, even with the pot empty...

When I'm not using my little Esbit beer can stove I use my ages-old Evernew 1.3 liter ti pot with lid. I bought it for $16.93 at an REI attic clearance sale. One of the handles was broken off. I broke the other one off and use a bandanna for a "handle". The wide, flat bottom provides a good barrier to prevent the flames from an alcohol stove from shooting up the sides of the pot before they transfer heat to the contents inside. When people comment on how much space it takes up in my pack I simply tell them how much I can put inside the pot. What wasted space????
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++