WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Images

:banana STARLYTE alcohol stove worlds lytest almost

The Starlyte weighs in at 16.4 grams. That is the combined weight of the burner and potstand

Burner is made of 1 wedding favor tin

Boils 2 cups of 69 degree water in 6 1/2 min.

Used 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol

Used 1/2 diameter punch for the holes in the potstand. Used aluminum flashing material.

The unique feature of this burner is the material under the piece of fiberglass cloth. It is the same material that is used in the manufacturing of the "Origo" marine alcohol stoves that are commonly seen on ebay when you do a search for alcohol stoves. Got the stuff directly from Sweden.

First photo shows the flame patern under the pot.

Second photo shows burners aflame

Third photo shows flame size comparison to an Ion burner

I'll guarantee this one will lyte in below zero weather with ease.

Images

Now THAT'S a sweet stove.......

Very clever, as always Zelph!

Images

that is an awesome stove man looks cool too... whats the total burn time?

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Pls describe boil

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    The Starlyte...

Boils 2 cups of 69 degree water in 6 1/2 min.

Used 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol

I'll guarantee this one will lyte in below zero weather with ease.
    Pls describe "boil". Was it when you could hear bubbles reverberating in the pot or did you use some device to determine water temp for a ~212F boil in the time indicated?

A "cat" (potted meat) stove and half wind shield weighs slightly less-at 0.5 oz-& 1/2 oz denatured alcohol burns about the same time but want really boil 2 cups 75F water for me.

maybe you are on to something. What are you doing with them?

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Both the stove and its namesake are beautiful inside and out.

Images

Still doing tests and modifications. More info to come

When I hear the bubbles reverberating it's almost time for the rolling boil to start. When that sound starts to fade shes ready to roll. When it starts to roll steam starts to raise my pot lid, so I then get a visual, steam and lid movement. See the photos down below

maybe you are on to something. What are you doing with them?
    I'm still in the testing and modification mode. I'll be selling some in December. Want to make sure all is well with them before I put them on the market.

The first photo shows it just starting to roll

The second photo shows it in full rolling boil

Images

hey zelph id you take pictures of the assembly and everything? i would love to see more pictures of this stove and what exactly is the stuff inside it, like vermiculite?

Images

Default still testing and modifying

The stuff inside is yellowish brown fibres. The fibres are in the verticle position, all running in the same direction, all parallel not like pink house insulation that twists and turns in all directions as it is made.

I switched to stainless steel for the potholder, it looks awesome. Did one test burn, needs a few more holes. Boiled 2 cups of 56 degree water in 8 1/2 min. Air temp was 56 degrees. Used 17ml of denatured alcohol, total burn time 11 1/2 min.

Total capacity for fuel is 1 ounce.

1 ounce of fuel is totaly absorbed by the burner. Once it's in the stove it can't spill out incase of tip over.

My plans are to permanently attach potstand to burner to make it a one piece unit.

Starlyte gets the first one as a gift for the use of her name. She's such a cutie.

sum41punk91-------I've given alot of specs over the months on how and where to get materials to build wickitised stoves. To this date I have had no feedback from anyone that has made one.

These stoves I make are just novelties. My hobby is creating and tinkering. I'm going to make some to offer for sale as soon as all the materials are in place and I know for sure the capabilities of the stove. Some may buy one or two just for the fun of it. Most have settled in with pop can and supercat stoves. There might be one or two that will Venture out and start using a safe wick style stove.

Zelph,
    Do you think you could adapt a simmer ring to this stove?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'll have my wife contact you to get on for me for Christmas, Zelph!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Default Zelph's stove ideas

sum41punk91-------I've given alot of specs over the months on how and where to get materials to build wickitised stoves. To this date I have had no feedback from anyone that has made one.

Zelph, now I feel bad... I have been following your posts with much interest but w/o providing feedback (I am sorry to say). I have gone out and gotten some DEI exhaust wrap and some wedding tins per some of your earlier posts. Those little buggers work just as you say, but it is often several weeks after your post that I have time to make one so any reply would not be very timely. Also, your designs seem to be evolving so fast, I can't keep up. As my thru start date is nearly six months off, I was waiting for your latest and greatest to preserve my limited free time. I have a whole folder of your text & pics to save as reference. But, if you did start selling your perfected stove design, I would surely be interested in your offering. Thanks for all your great posts on the alky stove topic... doodah man

Images

Thats because when i wickatise stoves it makes it burn too quick I have tried open flame stoves but just nothing from the ordinary... maybe i'll put some effort toward making a totally different stove. Any how GREAT stove i really like it

Images

It has a simmer ring

1st photo shows two burners fired up for 5 min to let them warm up

2nd photo shows simmer ring placed on top of burner to close of fuel(note!! i shut fuel off not oxygen like the trangia and others)

3rd photo shows stainless steel potstand and simmer ring next to it

Kerosene----------Thank You!!!! you're on the list for the second one

sum41punk91------Glad you like it, thank you!!!! Wick stoves are just like kerosene lanterns in a way, you raise and lower the wick to adjust rate of fuel burn. You have to play with them, talk nice to them, then they will mellow out and flame on. This Starlyte is different, I'm on to something here.

doodah man-------You Made My Day!!!!!!! Thanks for the uplifting feedback. The exhaust wrap is what I used on the Whatchamacallit unit. Look at the photo, have the wick up no more than an 1/8 of an inch, wrap it around twice to fit in the chicken in water can, If you cand find the right size can (3 inch dia.) let me know and I'll send you one(there made of tin)
    Those little buggers work just as you say, but it is often several weeks after your post that I have time to make one so any reply would not be very timely. Also, your designs seem to be evolving so fast, I can't keep up.
    I like showing the variety that can be had so that everyone can see how easy it is to stick a wick in a container, tweek it, tweek it some more and then heat your water with it. You will find it interesting working with wick material. I also used the ex. wrap on the Workhorse stove mentioned on the Ultralight forum. The workhorse is the most efficient of the stoves in regards to water heated per ounce of fuel. I have a hard time keeping up with posting the stoves that I come up with. I have one more to post then I'll consentrate on the Starlyte. I'ts called an alcohol "Zipp" stove

Default The end result is similar to the Supercat stove

only heavier and more expensive. The Supercat will not simmer, however, unless you cover some of the side holes, then it tends to go out. I stuffed some fiberglass insulation into the bottom of mine for a longer burn.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...59664855RxwVCk
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

There's a stove similar to the Starlyte in one of my pictures. It's just the bottom of a soft drink can with insulation added and the sides folded over to hold the fiberglass in place.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1...59664855LIKyMw
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Default starlyte

doodah man-------You Made My Day!!!!!!! Thanks for the uplifting feedback. The exhaust wrap is what I used on the Whatchamacallit unit. Look at the photo, have the wick up no more than an 1/8 of an inch, wrap it around twice to fit in the chicken in water can, If you cand find the right size can (3 inch dia.) let me know and I'll send you one(there made of tin)
    Zelph,
    While I found the Whatchamacallit stove/pot combo very intriguing, I have been slightly more interested in the more conventional style stove. In particular, the thread you started on 6-28-2006 ‘Wedding Favor Tin Sideburner’ that also used the exhaust wrap as a wick. I was looking to find a lightweight, fuel efficient design without worrying much about boil time… Based on lots of past experience, I will have plenty of waiting time duties in the evening tending to camp chores (cleaning clothing/shoes/gear/self or fetching water or whatever), so my desire is to make maximum use of the fuel with a stove + stand configuration in the ion class even if it takes a few more minutes to reach a boil. Your snappy designs that bring 2 cups to a boil with ˝ ounce of alcohol are just plain sweet. I very much appreciate your sharing of them with all of us. doodah-man

Images

Tinker you got me thinking about the similarity of the stoves you mentioned so I did a quick look see for some containers that I could put the pink insulation in.

The first photo shows the containers. A pop can with edges folded over to hold the insulation in. A "SuperCat". The "StarLyte" and an "Ion"

I put 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol in all burners.

No timing was taken, just a photo session

The rest of the photos show the progression of the burn until almost flame out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tarlyte020.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tarlyte021.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tarlyte023.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tarlyte024.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tarlyte025.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tarlyte026.jpg

The "Ion" never got larger than what you see in the photos. All of you that have used the "Ion", are these photos similar to what you see when the "Ion" is lit and has burned for a while or am I doing something wrong?

Tinker-------Are the photos similar to what the pop can and "SuperCat" look like when you have used yours?

The diameter of the pop can and "SuperCat" are larger in diameter than the two that are made of wedding favor tins

I found this excercise interesting and informative, thanks for the info Tinker.

Images

The "Ion" never got larger than what you see in the photos. All of you that have used the "Ion", are these photos similar to what you see when the "Ion" is lit and has burned for a while or am I doing something wrong?
    In my experience an Ion will produce a slightly larger flame than your photos show, Zelph.

That being said, an Ion requires a pot on top to give back some heat and get the stove really stoked. A good windscreen helps too.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Zelph, the reason that the Supercat burned out as fast as it did is because it is designed to work with a pot resting on top, eliminating the weight of both a pot support and a windscreen which needs to be at least an inch higher (making it necessary to pack your windscreen outside your pot or cookset). It looks as though you have a winner, though, for folks who like an open top stove.

Here's the way a Supercat stove looks while at work.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...59664855RxwVCk

(minus the windscreen). Note the absence of flames shooting up the sides of the pot.

The fiberglass insulation makes the flame more yellow than if it were not added. It slows burn time somewhat.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++