Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Overweight Hikers

Ok, I am new to this hiking thing. Trailtalker got me into it. I want to know how hard this is going to be for an overweight woman to do.
    No fat jokes ok.....
    I aint morbidly obese but I carry alot of extra weight.

just don't push it too hard and injure yourself. i am always over weight when i start but in the best shape of my life when i'm done. the weight will come off, just walk and enjoy where you are and what you see.
    geek

Are you planning a thruhike, or just learning to enjoy hiking and backpacking?

In either case, being overweight means that you will want to start slowly. Don't get talked into doing big miles. If you push too hard you won't enjoy it and you'll give up. But if you take it slowly, you may find the pleasure in climbing mountains, looking at beautiful views, and visiting places that most people never see.

Your first few trips are going to be difficult - but then, they were difficult for most of us. You have to strengthen your muscles and knees and get your lungs used to breathing hard. Don't worry too much if it feels really hard at first - it will get easier as you gain conditioning. Midway through my first trip I almost turned back - and if I had I never would have continued to do the adventures that I have been lucky enough to experience. I was stopping every 50 yards. I hurt in every muscle in my body - and several I didn't know I had. Fortunately my stubbornness said, "One more day." I did and it was great. Still hurt - but I was able to see the beauty around me. The third day I spent several hours beside a running stream - and I got hooked. Still hurt - but I decided it was worth it.

One issue you may have because of your weight is finding gear to fit - there are some threads on that here and on backpacker.com. Another issue is chaffing - especially on the AT in midsummer. Thighs rubbing together mean friction - which can be painful. The right clothes help.

Images

You'd be surprised how many overweight people are out there hiking. Like others said, take it slow, sit and rest often. I buy men's clothes, they fit better. THey don't make a lot of extra large hiking clothes for women. Vaseline does wonders for chaffing.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

It's just one step at a time. The mind is more the issue than the body in this case.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Welcome to WB.

I echo everyone else's thoughts. Take it easy and start slow. Try some day hikes, hammocks are cool, and short trips.

Just remember hiking is fun. If it stops being fun, you're trying to hard. Go with it and you'll figure things out along the way. Plenty of great advice here on WB.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I'm a chubby dino (size 18-20) with ortho problems... and I can hike. So can you. I'm s l o w but I get there. I've been a hiker all my life, but had to start over after a bad car accident broke a hip & leg. I'll tell you how I started out and advanced. You probably won't have to start this slowly, but if you need to - do it.

I started out walking on a level, paved walking path that follows a roadway. The reason was so the he-dino could go get the car if I was not able to finish. My first walk after getting out of a wheelchair was with a walker and I made it 1/8 of a mile. The next day a made it about 100 yards further. That continued and I soon graduated to using a cane instead of a walker (I still use a cane much of the time).

I kept walking until I got to where I could walk up hills, down hills and could go for about 5 miles on the paved path. Then I started walking on a dirt bike path near my home. I was only able to handle about 1/2 mile at first on the uneven terrain. Slowly I worked up to being able to walk 5 miles there. I also gained enough confidence to start hiking on real trails again.

Over time I've been able to get back to being able to hike about 8 miles in a day and have changed the kinds of things I carry in my backpack to be lighter and meet new needs I now have.

If I can do this, you can do this. Start out slow. Carry some two-liter coke bottle full of water in your daypack to build your ability to carry weight - if they get too heavy, its easy to lighten up - just pour out some of the water.

Images

Hiking is definitely more challenging when you are carrying extra weight. I found myself getting demoralized trying to climb a hill (it's harder to haul yourself up) and it also makes squeezing through rock falls or narrow passages or going through rocky terrain more difficult. On a technical level, when you are heavier the sleeping pads don't seem to support your weight very well, I found myself sinking down so that I touched the floor of the tent and it was harder to get a good night's sleep.

Eventually the difficulties of hiking heavier motivated me to stop doing that. I realized that I was freaking out about an extra pound in tent weight, when I could lose that amount and more out of my "overall pack" and greatly enhance the quality of the entire experience. BUT this is no way intended to say, you shouldn't get out there until you're lower. Try it now, enjoy it, and maybe one of these days you'll say, let's see if we can make this even MORE enjoyable and MORE fun.

Good luck!

Jane in CT

Images

Thanks. I dont plan on doing a trek of miles at first. Is a matter of fact Trailtalker is going to take me on a KIDS hike for my first time!!! Stop the laughing...I hear you!!!
    Ok, so I may have to stop behind the kids and rest...SO!!!!!!!!!!

Images

Hey there - welcome.

You will find lots of friends here.

Take your time, and have fun. It is important to absorb your surroundings while hiking. If you're doing it just to lose weight, you probably will.

My 8 year old granddaughter hiked 11 miles her first full day on the A.T., so you can't always go by a "kid's hike"

Good luck - see you out there - and come to a hiker event !

Images

OMG Star, that was encouraging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I thought she meant like they were only going a mile or so....Geeze....
    Ok, so I can do two miles...
    I will go slow and make them wait on me....they do wait for you dont they???

Images

The kid's hike is a good idea, go short and flat leading up to some day hikes with gourmet(but nutritionally sound lunches - how's that for PC). Start throwing in some elevation changes (well do what ya can in FL). Then go for an overnight or weekender. By summer you'll be ready for some longer hiking on some easier parts of the AT. The weight isn't as much as an issue as otherwise being fit. I have a friend who is 40 lbs overweight who can do 8 to 10 miles a day on the trails here in NH (doesn't sound like much 'till you've hiked the mountains here). He's got a gut, but he's also got strong legs and BIG wind and hikes every other weekend. Whatever you do, enjoy yourself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    My 8 year old granddaughter hiked 11 miles her first full day on the A.T., so you can't always go by a "kid's hike"
    40 years ago I waited for them(those OLD people) at the top of every hill. Life has a way of coming full circle. I always make sure that I'm carrying dinner or the stove - that way they CAN'T leave me behind!

Images

Of course they would wait...but you may find it is easier and less stressful to do your own walking pace and not feel pushed to go faster because you can see them waiting for you! Meet for breaks...lunch etc...and enjoy your hike.

I find it easier to moan and groan and sweat and rest when not being pressed to keep up with the rest of the family. Unless of course the hike is an easy one...its nice to have company on and off

I did lose a lot of weight in the beginning....but be prepared for the muscle gain you will get. But hey the inches stayed off and I went down in dress sizes even if I gained muscle weight. Just go s l o w find your own comfortable pace...this can take a few trys. Sadly everytime I stop hiking for any length of time...I have to go through the process of starting all over again to gain back my strength and ease of hiking.

I did finally get my pack weight down very light...but more important is my own weight...still working on that one.
    Life's too short not to have Credit Card bills...so Charge It!!!

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

There are some advantages to being so slow - the kids have time to stop and examine all the bugs, frogs, and animal track & poop along the way. Their naturally curious nature (and all the stopping and starting it causes) drives younger, faster adult hikers up the wall.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by BumpJumper View Post
    Thanks. I dont plan on doing a trek of miles at first. Is a matter of fact Trailtalker is going to take me on a KIDS hike for my first time!!! Stop the laughing...I hear you!!!
    You don't hear me laughing. If you are hiking with youngsters, you'll find it a special treat. They feast on the freedom of walking in the woods, zipping back and forth, and their excitement is contagious. I loved hiking with young Cub Scouts (Boy Scouts I had a rule they had to wait for me at every trail juction. I didn't so much hike with them as behind them).

Every hike needn't be a thruhike or up a big peak. I walk in my tiny town forest and love it.

Enjoy your hike and start slowly. Part of it is mind over matter as someone said, but overweight people have to be aware of their tendons and ligaments. As you get into shape, your leg muscles will strengthen faster than your tendons, so going fast and doing high mileage ought to wait a while. Hiking with kids is just the thing.

Gsingjane has an excellent point. While I ponder the relative weights of different gear, and my schedule has kept me from hiking long, my weight is up to 265 again. If I can get it back to 230-240 where it belongs, it would be like hiking without a pack!

Good luck and give us progress reports.
    Frosty

Images

So true...Dino hee hee I think my granddaughter is the only one I truly can hike with...but even she has to wait on me from time to time. I watch her run up the slopes or passes....at 6 you have endless energy.

I think this hike in August with my two sons is going to drive them batty.
    So we are taking 2 way radios (5 mile radius) they can hike ahead of me and I will putt putt along and YES I will carry the only STOVE!!! For I fear they would eat me out of (pack and tent ) before I met up with them again!!!
    Life's too short not to have Credit Card bills...so Charge It!!!

You guys, I can't tell you how much it means to me to find this thread!!! I am starting my journey in early March. Unfortunately, my brother, whom I love and whom I know meant well, told me I was too heavy to do this. I was devastated. This is a new adventure , something different,and I am going . I know it's going to be difficult at times. I know I am overweight. But Iam going. I hope to see you all out there !!!!!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default An ultra running saying..

Ultra runners have a saying:

Start slow, then taper off!

Applies to this situation, too. Take it easy, enjoy the time spent in nature. Do it more and more, and before you know it you will be in better shape. The huffing and puffing will be a little less, the aches and pains will gradually dissapear.

The important thing is to get out there and enjoy yourself.

Wether you are overweight or some person out to set a "speed record", everyone takes it one step at a time.

(Off to do more skiing..woo hoo!)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Unless you have some underlying health problem that is keeping you heavy, you might not find yourself overweight for long. I've lost 35 pounds in the last year, largely due to all the hiking I've been doing. Take it slow, take a break to catch your breath if you find you can't talk while you hike. Bring plenty of water, and always have a little snack with you, even on short hikes. You'll do fine.

Survivor - are you thru hiking this year? Do you have a journal?

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++