Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Ya know, I'm sorry to be the one voice to go against the grain here, but it was reading posts like this one before my 2005 thru hike attempt, that left me with a lot of regrets.......

Before I started I was a good 30lbs overweight but listened to everyone saying if I started out slow, listened to my body, went at my own pace, etc etc, then the weight would come pouring off. I would justify this too with logic like :hey you spend day after day doing nothing but hiking up and down hills and burning all those calories, it's simple mathematics, WEIGHT LOSS MUST HAPPEN! And I didn't give a second thought to what I ate while on the trail because I had read you burn something like a bizzillion calories a day hiking so GREAT! I'll eat what ever I want! Heck, to listen to people talk I almost had visions of me starting up one side of the mountain as a sack of potatoes and climbing down the other side as a super skinny weif like model!!

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!!!

I made it approx. 700 miles to Pearisburg, VA and the day I stopped I weighted exactly the same as the day I started. And I was in horrible shape. I had absolutely no energy, I was cronically exhausted, sleeping an average of 12 hours a night and still feeling like I hadn't gotten enough sleep. Most of all, the entire trip was one long memory of pain filled days that began almost immediately and no amount of Advil could touch. Later on I learned that I had collapsed the arches of both of my feet. Since I hadn't gotten into shape and lost the extra weight before the trip, my combined body and pack weight tipped the scale over 200lbs! My knees, ankles and feet just couldn't handle that load, especially over the rugged AT terrain. As for my energy level, I hadn't paid attention to what I ate, which resulted in eating the standard hiking fare of empty calories and "fake" food that slowly but steadily drained my body of life day by day. By the time I limped into Pearisburg, I was whipped both physically and mentally, and my having to the leave the trail was a foregone conclusion.

Since that ill-fated trip I have learned alot. I have spent two years learning from my mistakes and educating myself on ultralite hiking concepts. I will be attempting to thru hike again this summer and I have started training NOW. I also plan on eating REAL food while out there and eating sensibly. I have no doubt that the out come of this trip will be very different from the first.

Now this is just my own personal experience and maybe it's not the normal one. But my advise is, if you are planning to thru hike and are overweight, loss as much weight as you can before you go or at least be in the best possible shape that you can be in before you start. You will only be giving yourself a wonderful advantage and healthy head start right from the get go so why wouldn't you? Learn from my mistakes and save yourself the pain not to mention the medical bills.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WLDLFR View Post
    I made it approx. 700 miles to Pearisburg, VA and the day I stopped I weighted exactly the same as the day I started. And I was in horrible shape. I had absolutely no energy, I was cronically exhausted, sleeping an average of 12 hours a night and still feeling like I hadn't gotten enough sleep. Most of all, the entire trip was one long memory of pain filled days that began almost immediately and no amount of Advil could touch. Later on I learned that I had collapsed the arches of both of my feet. Since I hadn't gotten into shape and lost the extra weight before the trip, my combined body and pack weight tipped the scale over 200lbs! My knees, ankles and feet just couldn't handle that load, especially over the rugged AT terrain. As for my energy level, I hadn't paid attention to what I ate, which resulted in eating the standard hiking fare of empty calories and "fake" food that slowly but steadily drained my body of life day by day. By the time I limped into Pearisburg, I was whipped both physically and mentally, and my having to the leave the trail was a foregone conclusion.

Since that ill-fated trip I have learned alot. I have spent two years learning from my mistakes and educating myself on ultralite hiking concepts. I will be attempting to thru hike again this summer and I have started training NOW. I also plan on eating REAL food while out there and eating sensibly. I have no doubt that the out come of this trip will be very different from the first.

Now this is just my own personal experience and maybe it's not the normal one. But my advise is, if you are planning to thru hike and are overweight, loss as much weight as you can before you go or at least be in the best possible shape that you can be in before you start. You will only be giving yourself a wonderful advantage and healthy head start right from the get go so why wouldn't you? Learn from my mistakes and save yourself the pain not to mention the medical bills.
    I agree. My hubby has been reading how people do not eat right on the trail and their body ends up eating itself for nutrients. He just got this book about healthy meal planning for the AT and plans to help us out by supplying the food we need and not eating empty calories without nutrients. And the idea of getting in shape now, keeping the weight down, taking a multi vitamin with iron on the trail, etc.
    But I think in your case there may have possibly been other health factors coming into play as well - not sure, such as hypothyroidism, etc (?) Don't know that, of course. That's why getting a check-up before you start cannot be overemphasized.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

WLDLFR (does that stand for Wyldlyfer?), thanks for sharing your story. I think it injects a good note of realism into the discussion here. It's sort of what I was trying to say in my earlier post, in a roundabout way... I also hiked heavier (25 lbs. over where I am now) and the difficulties and challenges of doing that eventually motivated me to stop doing that, and specifically to lose weight so backpacking would be easier and more fun. And it IS easier and more fun not to hike heavy, it just is! If for no other reason, I would go into gear shops and the store person would say, "YOU are planning to go on a 4-night trip?!?" And we would meet folks at shelters whom you could tell had pretty much the same reaction. Now you might call that reaction "size-ist" and it probably is, but I have to say, often when I meet folks on the trail who are hiking heavy, I also think, gosh, you could make things SO much easier on yourself. I give folks who hike heavy credit for getting out there at all, since it's got to be awfully hard (and in fact I know it's hard first-hand) but it still seems like, being heavy isn't really an immutable condition. It's something I think most people should, or at least really could, take a shot at changing before they get out there.

Jane in CT

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Hello and welcome to WB!...I will echo everyones advice and say start slow and you will build yourself up well...While I am not overweight (Most people tell me I`m under weight) I can somewhat relate to what you ask because I started hiking again after suffering a very bad heart attack..The day I got out of the hospital I only had like 40-50% of normal heart function..Talk about getting tired easy ..Oy...As part of my therapy to build myself back up I started walking and at first would only do 1/4 of a mile once around the track at the local high school and slowly at that!...Then 1/2 mile..Then I got faster..and so on...Once I could walk at normal speed the track became boring and getting the correct amount of exercise was a chore so I started making a goal for myself.."I will go up the Appalachian Trail and walk from the parking area to that one shelter I used to stay at a mile up the hill"...I could do a mile on the track ok but now we had rocks and a gradual uphill thrown in and I quit the first attempt out ...But I kept exercising and finally one day I arrived at the shelter!...Now it is 2 years later and I can take longer day hikes wearing a small pack although I have to stop and rest more than others and hills still wear me out (I got back up to like 70-75% of normal heart function and that`s all I can hope to get because of a lot of scar tissue right in the area of the chamber that pumps the oxygen rich blood thru my body)..So by all means get out there and have FUN and do whatever you feel comfortable with doing at first and don`t get discouraged because in time you WILL go farther and faster
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

When I first starting planning for this hike, I knew I was heavy and out of shape. For a while, I twisted my head up real good about that and almost convinced myself I shouldn't try. I think it is important to be realistic - but equally important is to have faith. I know that this hike is what I need to do right now. I wish I was in better shape - I have been working on it - but I know I won't be the most fit person to hit the trail. I won't be the least fit either. That is the way the world works - you are never the most or the least of any thing.

I read a lot of journals in prep - one in particular was Big Red's from Trailjournals.com - much more out of shape, much heavier than me but he made it. That is all I really need to know. Will it be hard? Hard enough that I might not make it - yes - is there a possibility I can - heck ya - and I am walking towards that possibility. I will accept all cautions - but I straight out reject any one else's doubt. It is too tied up in the doubter to be a real statement about me.

I concur. Like I told my brother, I know you mean well and I understand what you are saying. But if I fail, I fail on my terms, not because someone told me I couldn't do it. I am not going to quit before I even begin.

Images

You will get a lot of encouragement from really fit 20 somethings as you huff and puff up a small incline. As odd as it may sound, it really started to p*** me off after just a few times. I'm sure they meant well, but it just sounded so condescending to me. It took everything in me not to tell the 50th person to shut up and go to he!!. The only person I could keep up with had had two knee surgeries, a hip surgery and a bad back. It can be very discouraging. What kept me going was being able to track my progress. As the days went on, I could go further each day before having to stop to catch my breath. Within a few weeks, my stopping grew more infrequent, and although I was still hiking really slowly, I was improving, and that is most encouraging.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

6'1" 255 on a good week, stay active and stretch everyday.

Images

Well, this fit* 20-something doesn't mean to be condescending. If I encourage a less-fit hiker, it's because I've been there myself, and recently. I know how you feel, though.

*Fit is in the eye of the beholer, I suppose. I wouldn't consider myself fit now, because I lose my breath very easily, and my knees are in rough shape. To someone who doesn't know me, though, my little size 4 body must look like the picture of fitness. Size is deceiving.

Images

I am a size 16-18. My friend is about a size or two larger. We both enjoy hiking. We did have a hard time finding "official" gear however, it is not impossible!

Ex Officio's 17day6countries panties medium fit me...large my friend.
    Ex Officio's size ratings on thier site are accurate. The runamuck pants were great. I wear pants because of poison ivy reasons. My friend used basketball shorts.
    LL Bean has a nice selection. Look for correct fabrics even if they aren't labled "hiking."
    For shirts, silk scoop neck undershirts are nice.

As far as pace goes, you'll find yours. We averaged 2 miles per hour. I hike faster and break alot. She hikes slow and steady and breaks less.

Before we started our hike (SNP-section last summer) we trained. Every weekend we walked. First packs with only water and towels for bulk and 2 miles, then each week we added 5 pounds and 2 miles.

By the last part of our 105 miles we did 45 miles in three days!

Do not cut calories etc..trying to lose weight doing this. You will lose weight anyway. Eat and drink appropriately. We did and still lost about 15 pounds each. Remember you need energy to burn calories.

Send me a message if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help.

formerly amazonwoman

I did my first 2 miles on the AT this weekend at the SORUCK. It was the 'easy' nature walk up to the Rufus Morgan shelter. Up until now I have hiked alone because I was ashamed that I was so out of shape. I really tried to hide this weekend that I got a little winded just going up to my bunkhouse. I decided to do the hike if it took me all day. I just told everybody that was concerned that I was going to be ok but I was also going to go very slow and take lots of breaks. I realized that I cannot thru in the shape I am now. Even going slow it would be miserable and physically dangerous. Getting in the best shape you can before you leave, even if it isn't to your ideal weight or ultimate fitness level, is important. Build as much cardiovascular strength as you can. I couldn't have done it with a full pack. If you want it bad enough you can make it but pain and exhaustion will not make it fun. Don't let any of these posts discourage you. Any hiking, thru or section or just down a path at the local park is better than nothing. Keep moving and never give up on your dreams.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by jewelweed View Post
    Before we started our hike (SNP-section last summer) we trained. Every weekend we walked. First packs with only water and towels for bulk and 2 miles, then each week we added 5 pounds and 2 miles.
    I have a history of weak knee ligaments/tendons, and for a while was training them by carrying a pack filled with milk jugs and 2-liter soda bottles with water. Never thought of using towels to keep them form rolling around. Thaks for the idea!

The beauty of carrying jugs of water instead of gear is that if you get tired, you can dump out the water and walk home easier
    Frosty

Be sure to wear hiking boots with proper ankle support. Shoes will not be appropriate if your overweight. If you turn your foot and weigh 100 pounds it's bad enough...but putting added weight on that turned foot can do very serious damage. God bless you and enjoy hiking!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparex View Post
    Be sure to wear hiking boots with proper ankle support. Shoes will not be appropriate if your overweight. If you turn your foot and weigh 100 pounds it's bad enough...but putting added weight on that turned foot can do very serious damage. God bless you and enjoy hiking!!
    This is true. Dec. 14th I turned my foot and broke my fifth metatarcel. I don't think I would have broken it if I didn't weigh so much. I'm hoping it heals well and won't be a problem during my section hikes.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

The Big Kid

Wow, reading this has been great. I am most likely the largest person hiking here...at 29 years old and 340lbs (down from 400) and believe it or not, per every doctor, am amazingly fit. I have always enjoyed hiking and currently play paintball, rugby and have hiked most of the blue blazes in CT.

I am hiking the Ct section of the AT the first week in September this year and will start training once it warms up a bit (currently training for rugby in a gym anyway).

Anyway, I am looking for recommendations for good ankly support boots from other large hikers if possible! Also, if there are any large hikers up in the CT, MASS, RI, NY areas, drop me a line, I would love to get out sometime with some other people.

Kelly

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WLDLFR View Post
    Before I started I was a good 30lbs overweight but listened to everyone saying if I started out slow, listened to my body, went at my own pace, etc etc, then the weight would come pouring off. I would justify this too with logic like :hey you spend day after day doing nothing but hiking up and down hills and burning all those calories, it's simple mathematics, WEIGHT LOSS MUST HAPPEN!
    Aww..I`m sorry you didn`t have a good experience in this particular area but it actually is simple mathmatics...Unfortunately the simple math says you probably won`t burn up any weight ....You only burn like 8-9 calories a minute backpacking..That`s about 500 per hour so if you hiked 7 hours non-stop (Which of course you won`t) you`d only burn up 3,500 calories...Now as we all know you need to burn up 3,500 calories more than you take in to lose 1 pound..SO..If you hiked those 7 hours non-stop and consumed 3,500 calories during the day you will break even and lose 0 pounds!.....And if you consume foods that are high in calories but low in nutrition (As it sounds like you did) then you are indeed heading for trouble....But the most important thing is that you learned from this and it didn`t kill your interest in backpacking which is wonderful ...Plus you have shared your experience with others which will help someone avoid the same mistake!
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo View Post
    Aww..I`m sorry you didn`t have a good experience in this particular area but it actually is simple mathmatics...Unfortunately the simple math says you probably won`t burn up any weight ....You only burn like 8-9 calories a minute backpacking..That`s about 500 per hour so if you hiked 7 hours non-stop (Which of course you won`t) you`d only burn up 3,500 calories...Now as we all know you need to burn up 3,500 calories more than you take in to lose 1 pound..SO..If you hiked those 7 hours non-stop and consumed 3,500 calories during the day you will break even and lose 0 pounds!.....And if you consume foods that are high in calories but low in nutrition (As it sounds like you did) then you are indeed heading for trouble....But the most important thing is that you learned from this and it didn`t kill your interest in backpacking which is wonderful ...Plus you have shared your experience with others which will help someone avoid the same mistake!
    Even so, the conditioning from such activity is beneficial. Learn about nutrition, metabolism, sugar, insulin etc. and apply that knowledge. It's not just about calories.

I am attempting a thru hike this year starting the last week in March at Springer. I am a good 90 lbs overweight. I WILL NOT be hiking th approach trail. That's not part of the AT right? I initially planned on hiking to the first shelter which is between 8-9 miles away. The more I talk to hikers, the more they recommed 5 miles to start. I may do more or less depending on how, I feel. However, I know that if I don't average 15 miles per day, I won't make Katahdin before OCT 15. I also know that there was a huge blizzard in the North East last September. I may have to flip flop, what a bummer. I will take all the advice I can take. I only have about a week to go. I put it off to check with all my doctors. Podiatrist-check, Cardiologist --check, Family Practitioner- coming right up. My podiatrist wants me to stretch, stretch stretch. The advice above about tendons is right on the money. I stretched the heck out of my achilles when I hiked one spring break back in college.

Quote Originally Posted by WONDERWOMAN View Post
    I am attempting a thru hike this year starting the last week in March at Springer. I am a good 90 lbs overweight. I WILL NOT be hiking th approach trail. That's not part of the AT right?
    No, the AT is not part of the AT, but it' all the same. If you can only hike 4-6 miles day, do it. But keep doing it. It'll get easier. I always thought my 2nd day from Hawk Mountain shelter to Gooch Gap was one of the hardest on the entire trail. It's an eye opener early in the walk.

Have a great hike.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++