WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I found out I have to remake our peanut butter trail goodies after learning I might have used tainted PB a few weeks back. I have to throw out several lbs worth that were to go in mail drops. oh, well. better that than Salmonella. Plan to get good PB this time.
    That'll teach ya to shop at Wally World.

Images

I think it just hit me, and I'm starting to panic. Well, not really panic, but I'm seeing how much work I still have to do before I can go, and it's a bit overwhelming. It's also really starting to sink in that I'm leaving my husband for six months. Am I crazy, doing something like this? Eh...probably. Oh, well.

Hi everybody-

I hope to meet you all (at least some of you!) this spring/summer/fall. I'm hoppin' on a train to Atlanta once this winter nasty abates.

No schedules, no headaches.
    See you there!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaM View Post
    Am I crazy, doing something like this? Eh...probably. Oh, well.
    I went through that phase. Then I realized this is for real, so I began to settle down and get my act together. But I am still far behind in mail drops, doing last minute things, etc. And I have all this family visiting right now, which is great but makes getting ready more of a challenge.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    That'll teach ya to shop at Wally World.
    Yeah, actually it was the Peter Pan brand at my neighborhood market, but same junk as Wally World, come to find out (ugh). I did want to buy the natural stuff, but it would have been pretty expensive for all these trail bars I have to make. I need the happy medium.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Yeah, actually it was the Peter Pan brand at my neighborhood market, but same junk as Wally World, come to find out (ugh). I did want to buy the natural stuff, but it would have been pretty expensive for all these trail bars I have to make. I need the happy medium.
    I had a scare after that post and ran to the pantry to check the lot number on my jar of PB. It's the generic brand from a local chain supermarket. Who knows where it comes from... but I guess it's OK. My wife only eats the fancy organic stuff. I'll happily shop at Costco or BJ's but not Wally World, except for emergencies.

Default six months

It's also really starting to sink in that I'm leaving my husband for six months.
    Leaving my wife of 22 years for six months is something that I have been wrestling with - I know this will be difficult for me but really hard on my wife. I think I have mentioned this on another thread somewhere - I will owe her really, really big time when my journey is done... Longest we have ever been separated is for 3 weeks when I went to Thailand about 15 years ago.

Am I crazy, doing something like this? Eh...probably. Oh, well.
    I think that is a shared affliction...

23 and a wake-up...
    WhoAh

Hi EveryOne!
    Flying south a month from tomorrow.

Where do you guys plan to spend the first 5 nights on the trail?
    It seems that after Gooch Gap shelter there is no place to camp for quite a long ways. Is that so?
    I wonder if I will stay somewhere at Neels gap or camp on both sides of the Gap.It does not really matter as I have enough $ and am very flexible as to where I go each day.

Sandalwood

PS Blissful, I enjoyed reading your journal.

Quote Originally Posted by maxNcathy View Post
    It seems that after Gooch Gap shelter there is no place to camp for quite a long ways. Is that so?
    Good camping right next to Justus stream. I think that was my 2nd night out from Springer. Jarrard Gap also (south of Blood Mtn.) In fact I don't recall using any shelters between Springer and Neels Gap, except the very first night at Stover Creek shelter.

TT, was there a campsite on the Trail at Jarrard Gap or do you need to hike down a road to get to a private campground? Thanks, Sandalwood

Good camping right next to Justus stream. I think that was my 2nd night out from Springer. Jarrard Gap also (south of Blood Mtn.) In fact I don't recall using any shelters between Springer and Neels Gap, except the very first night at Stover Creek shelter.
    TT, Did you stay at Neels Gap or just pass through?

Any Survivor fans?? Looks like I will rent a place with a tv so I can watch the show on Thursday at 8 pm.

TT, Did you stay at Neels Gap or just pass through?
    Stayed the night. Good eats. That was also my first meeting with Wingfoot. The night before had been a cold one, camped on a ridge somewhere south of Blood Mtn. Brrr. The day I left Neels I camped again, somewhere near Low Gap, as I recall. Easy camping in GA.

Stayed the night. Good eats. That was also my first meeting with Wingfoot. The night before had been a cold one, camped on a ridge somewhere south of Blood Mtn. Brrr. The day I left Neels I camped again, somewhere near Low Gap, as I recall. Easy camping in GA.
    TT, Where did you stay at Neels Gap? Did they have a tv? What time of year was it? were you cold in your sleeping bag on the ridge south of Blood Mt? What rating of bag did you have then? Were you in a tent? Did you ever get knee problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Maiden View Post
    SPRINGER FEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think it is bad now, wait til it hits in the post-hike years!! It is killing me right now and I am not even going to Springer!!

I am excited for all of you! I hope your hike is all it is meant to be and the GREATEST ADVENTURE YOU'VE EVER HAD!!

See you in Hot Springs!!
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02
    EVERY YEAR!
    geek

TT, Where did you stay at Neels Gap? Did they have a tv? What time of year was it? were you cold in your sleeping bag on the ridge south of Blood Mt? What rating of bag did you have then? Were you in a tent? Did you ever get knee problems?
    Stayed at Walasi-Yi, of course. It was early April. If there was a TV, I missed it. I had some generic down bag from Hermans (a sporting-goods chain.) Warm enough except for one or two nights (eg. at Muskrat Creek shelter.) No knee problems, I have short stubby legs and I ski and hike alot. I was warm in my tent & bag on that night on the ridge near Jarrard Gap... but the wind was howling. My tent was covered with frozen rain in the morning & my water bottles were frozen solid. No big deal, except for the midnight nature break.

Thanks TT. Now I am off on my Yamaha snowmobile for a ride on the trails..22F and fresh snow.

There is a TV at Walasi-Yi but no cable... just a VCR and an eclectic collection of tapes. I know that if you are in a group of three or more, there are cabins for rent near Neels Gap. Don't know if they have TV.

There are several campsites between Gooch Gap Shelter and Woods Hole Shelter (12.something miles). Alternatively, you could go into Suches, GA from Woody Gap (5.0 miles from Gooch Gap Shelter) OR you could get a shuttle back to the Hiker Hostel in Dahlongega. If you're in need of a break or a short day, that might not be a bad idea. However, it's not a terribly difficult day from Gooch Gap Sh. to Woods Hole Sh.
    http://joshuamlee.com Photography

--Signor Felice

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    There is a TV at Walasi-Yi but no cable... just a VCR and an eclectic collection of tapes. I know that if you are in a group of three or more, there are cabins for rent near Neels Gap. Don't know if they have TV.

There are several campsites between Gooch Gap Shelter and Woods Hole Shelter (12.something miles). Alternatively, you could go into Suches, GA from Woody Gap (5.0 miles from Gooch Gap Shelter) OR you could get a shuttle back to the Hiker Hostel in Dahlongega. If you're in need of a break or a short day, that might not be a bad idea. However, it's not a terribly difficult day from Gooch Gap Sh. to Woods Hole Sh.
    Thanks, Mr Happy.

Sandalwood

Hey, I have a very important question. Are any of you fans of Survivor and starting north on or near March 19th? Want to share a room with cable TV on Thursday, March 22 at/near Neels Gap?

Sandalwood

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++