WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tri-Corner Knob Shelter

Any juicy details on this shelter? I hear the hike leading up to this shelter goes above 6000' and is one of the most rugged portions of the trail. Also, looks like one of the older shelters in the GSMNP given its build date of 1959.

Compared to NH & Maine, the Smokys are a cakewalk. Most of GSMNP is a ridgewalk. Everything is relative however. If you're hiking NOBO, it might seem difficult because its early on in your hike. If I had 1.00 for everytime a dayhiker or weekend hiker told me "the toughest part of the trail is just ahead", I would have practically had my expenses paid for the trip.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Tric Corner Knob is indeed one of the older and grungier shelters. It's about 100 ft to the right (south) of the trail. The area in front is pretty beaten down and the privy is ummm aromatic. The spring is directly in front of the shelter. I was a bit leary of it , since it seems to come from the north, in the direction of the trail and this portion of the trail is open to horses.
    In training for the Chappaquiddick Triathlon "Drink - Drive - Swim"

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 08-13-2003 at 20:35.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Yo Steve! That shelter sucks! Obviously you are afraid to tent or just lay out in the Smokys. Thoreau, even though he was an urban fag, would never have stayed at that shelter. I bet you don't know where the REAL piped spring is. What is bear bagging anyway?

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 08-13-2003 at 20:34.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

this shelter was fine this summer...just one overly-annoying snorer

Images

I went by Triconer on Friday and it appears to be under renovation. The piped spring is flowing well, the bear fence is off, as is the roof of the shelter (replaced with plastic sheeting), and there are new bear cables installed. It appears that work is on going.

Images

Glad to hear this. Hopefully they are replacing the tin roof with a wooden one. I got drenched the night I slept there as the condensation dripped down from the roof, soaking our bags. Nice area around the shelter though, great for reading in the sun!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Default Renovation

The shelter was renovated in June, designed by Phillip Royer, with a new roof and bear fence taken down. A new privey was added. I haven't seen it yet but plan on it next month on a multi day trip from Newfound Gap.

Images

The only tenting area is directly below the newly installed bear cables! Good luck!!

Images

I'll be at Tricorner this Saturday night.. and will try to get some pictures for you.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TownDawg
    I'll be at Tricorner this Saturday night.. and will try to get some pictures for you.
    TownDawg,

I hope you get a good photo as this is really a nice shelter. It has a huge covered area, the skylight worked great and it even seemed to have a pull-down tarp to help close off the opening in bad weather (I'm assuming that was what was hanging there but I never saw it in action.) I took a photo last month and posted it here, but the photo didn't turn out very well. I don't recall much if anything in the way of tenting area so if you think about it, check that out.

Youngblood

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    TownDawg,

I hope you get a good photo as this is really a nice shelter. It has a huge covered area, the skylight worked great and it even seemed to have a pull-down tarp to help close off the opening in bad weather (I'm assuming that was what was hanging there but I never saw it in action.) I took a photo last month and posted it here, but the photo didn't turn out very well. I don't recall much if anything in the way of tenting area so if you think about it, check that out.

Youngblood
    I was with Youngblood during the hike in early August, and just posted a photo in the gallery of Tri-Corner Knob shelter. Youngblood is visible in the photo. Yeah, it was a foggy afternoon - with temps in the high 40s. Pretty unusual for early August - even at 5920'.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Default New and Improved

I stayed at Tri Corner Friday Sept 10 and it was vastly improved, not only the shelter but also the surrounding area. There are not many spots for tenting there seems to be a lot of water standing as the logs placed for walking to the cables and privy. Tri Corner Knob was determined to be the most remote location in the state of Tn. It appeared that way the night I stayed there. Late afternoon a couple from Minnesota section hiking was the only folks I seen from that point until I hiked out.
    TN Bandit
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh.../cat/565/page/
    Last edited by Tn Bandit; 09-16-2004 at 20:05. Reason: Uploading photo

Images

Thanks for new picture. Glad to see trash got cleaned up from earlier pic.

We are going in at Greenbrier, and will be at TriCorner Saturday if all goes well.

http://www.thebackpacker.com/trips/trip.php?id=457

Keeping ear to the ground, and watching the sky.

http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/thread/32651.php

Images

Default 09-19-04

Sunday night. A day late getting here.

I hope you got a shot of the privy also.

I spent 1 1/2 days there during the blizzard March 5-6, 2001. I managed to stay warm, but was pretty freaked to wake up to a frozen mouse. There was a huge tree that fell behind the shelter, but I didn't hear it before seeing it partially blocking my way out.

I got to be real familiar with the old port-a-john. I didn't see much area for tenting, either. I don't recall the picnic table.

Bill...

Images

I didn't think to get a shot of the privy, but I used it while I was there.

Most of us walked out to the beaqr boxes, and stood around and cooked over there.., and saved the picnic table space for additional conversation room. They put a tarp up over the front (behind the table) to shield out the sleeping area from the cold. Water supply was really sucking, enough water -- just the pipe was mispositioned. Tried fixing it, but no luck.

I am wondering what will happen if there is not enough water or none at the tri corner knob shelter. Are there any other places nearby where I can full up enough water. I hope there is a water source that is close to the shelter so I do not have to go that far off track.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++