WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Me-ga 2007

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    no, i'm not joking. i prefer to ford. it's fun and safe if you do it early in the morning.
    early in the morning? before the tide comes in? or before the PC hiker police are out?

Smile

Best hut advice go mid week take advantage of the multy stay deal and make Resev as soon as possable. Above all else have FUN the huts are the best part of the trail.... running for cover

Re: Baxter reservations.

i've still got to make mine, and i'm just curious as to what campsite is recommended? it seems to me that the Katahdin Stream Campground is the one i should be reserving. at this point i'm thinking two nights would be best. one day to hike up and back down the mountain and then i'll start off the rest of the trail first thing the next morning. plus i get to spend some extra time with my mom before leaving.

Images

Katahdin Stream Campground is great. The AT runs right through it. I was extra lucky and got the campsite right at the base of the Hunt Trail. It was a great way to spend the night before the start.

There are some little cabins and shelters, too, if you want a solid roof over your head that night--which is handy if it rains.

Best wishes for a great hike!
    Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Please straighten me out. I am hiking North from Springer starting the last week in March, God willing. I will be WONDER WOMAN if I make it to Katahdin, but I thought that thru-hikers did not have to register, when hiking North. Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by onicoe View Post
    Re: Baxter reservations.

i've still got to make mine, and i'm just curious as to what campsite is recommended? it seems to me that the Katahdin Stream Campground is the one i should be reserving.
    I always recommend MEGAs try to book a lean-to the night before and after their climb. You'll probably get one of the small lean-tos #ed 4-8 which are right on the stream if you're reserving for one or two persons. These are nice sites with fire rings and picnic tables. The larger lean-tos #ed 9-12 are OK, but 9 & 10 have the campground road right behind them. 11 & 12 are set back a bit and quieter. Tent site 16 is the last/first campsite on the Appalachian Trail, and site 19 is the quietest/most private. I don't recomment the walk-in sites - they sound as if they'd be secluded, but they're actually right next to the main road.
    Here's a map of the campground:
    http://www.baxterstateparkauthority....in_stream.html
    Tell Ranger White TJ says hi!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Marta: the cabins aren't for campers, just staff and winter use.
    WonderWoman: As you enter BSP there'll be a sign-up sheet at an information kiosk. You'll need to sign up for one of the 12 spots at the Birches, which are first come first served, if you plan on spending the night at the long-distance hiker site. These spots can't be reserved in advance, and only hikers coming in from Monson are allowed to stay there.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

WWoman:

Everyone has to register when they enter Baxter State Park; the number of folks permitted in each day is limited, therefore, they need to know who is in the Park, where they are staying, what their plans are, etc.

Baxter's regulations regarding long-distance hikers seem to change every year. At some point, check out www.baxterstateparkauthority.com which will have all pertinent regulations posted; also, as you get further North, you'll probably see these regulations on fliers in hostels and at Trailheads in Maine.

Also, there's a large Info Kiosk directly on the side of the Trail when you hit the southern border of the Park. It'll tell you everything you need to know if you still have questions when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post

Also, there's a large Info Kiosk directly on the side of the Trail when you hit the southern border of the Park. It'll tell you everything you need to know if you still have questions when you get there.
    You'll also probably run into the MATC/BSP trail runner between Hurd Brook, Linda's Store, and Katahdin Stream. This year our very own Bluebearee (GAME '02, WB member, ALDHA Companion volunteer, and all around wicked good human) takes over from Poptart (also a 2000 miler). She'll be helping Aters from July through October.
    Teej

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++