WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Buying maps while on the trail?

I have maps that will take me to Damascus. I feel like a dope for asking the question but: can I purchase maps along the trail?

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Yes, you can ...at least I did in 2003. I started off with maps and then for a short section decided not to carry them. Then one day I decided that I missed them. Bought the ones I could and put the ones I didn't need right away in my bounce box.

Also, at least in my case, some of the maps I had were the older versions and I was able to get the updates ones along the trail. Mt Rogers Outfitters in Damascus is an excellent source for the maps. You can also get them in Harpers Ferry.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Journal Entries
    Images

Of course you can purchase them as you go. Be aware that you'll likely only find them at an Outfitter, though. And, the possibility exists that they won't have the one you need. Also, you might not get the ATC member discount that you would get by purchasing online.

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalo...tid=0&compid=1

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Also, you might not get the ATC member discount that you would get by purchasing online.
    Always carry your ATC membership card. Most outfitters near the trail will give you a discount if you show your card.

You could always order them online from the ATC and have them shipped to your next drop-location.
    http://joshuamlee.com Photography

--Signor Felice

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Always carry your ATC membership card. Most outfitters near the trail will give you a discount if you show your card.
    hmmmm. Good point. I always carry mine and just noticed that my 'card' has expired. My membership is current, though. I either didn't get a new card or misplaced it. I wonder if it is because last time I renewed, I did it online and they didn't send me a card...hmmmm...I did get a patch and a sticker though...hmmmm...I'm so confused...

Anyway, Mahoney's here in JC does offer a discount with a card. At least they have for me in the past.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

To Ilike Tacos:

Good advice from folks so far. You can certainly buy Virginia maps in an Outfitter in Damascus.....I know, for example, that Mt. Rogers keeps a good supply. There's a 5-map set that will take you from Damascus to Waynesboro. There's a good Outfitter there that will, in all likelihood, carry maps from Waynesboro to Harpers Ferry. Once there, go to the ATC office and get whatever you need.

Note: There are NOT a lot of outfiters or bookstores (i.e. places likely to carry AT maps) between Harpers Ferry and New England, and as others have pointed out, many places might only purchase carry one or two copies of each individual map set, meaning sooner or later, you're gonna arrive at a place like Kent or Manchester or wherever, hoping to get the next set and you'll be out of luck. If you're serious about having maps for every section, I'd think about getting them all ahead of time and having them mailed to you as you proceed down the Trail, or you can make a big purchase at the ATC office in Harpers, which always has complete sets for the whole Trail, and then you don't have to worry about availabily further down the line.

Thanks all for the comments-much appreciated.

Thanks for all the fine people that I have met

Buying maps on the trail are a hit and miss thing. What most hikers do is read the elevation changes in the {"Through Hikers Manual" by Dan Bruce} to get a good idea of what is instore. The Maps aren't consistant, don't be suprised when the profile, the toical and the route description don't jive. As for Wingfoot many people are hypocrits they badmouth him while using his book.

Images

By the time you get to franklin you probably will ditch the maps and just get Wingfoots book and be done with the whole map thing.

In re. to the above post, about ditching your maps:

Only if you're stupid.

Pardon my ignorance, but are maps really necessary? I've read that the trail is very well marked.

It's very well marked.

But there are still lots of reasons to always carry maps in the backcountry.

If you do a search on "maps" here at WB, you'll find all sorts of commentary on this.

Quote Originally Posted by debug07 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but are maps really necessary? I've read that the trail is very well marked.
    Yes, the trail is often over blazed. But there are also places where it is not blazed or marked well at all.

++ New Posts ++