WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tell me about FS42

Hey gang, when I leave in a few weeks I'm going to have my Dad drop me off at the FS 42 parking area. Looking at the map, I assume you head south on the trail to the Springer terminus, sign in, take a photo and then backtrack to begin the nobo hike.

I was thinking that it would be nice for my Dad to do that two mile round trip with me but wanted to know how tough that area is. My Dad has some health problems and can't do a tough two miler.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

You've got it correct. Park in the lot at FS 42 and hike south to the summit of Springer. Not a hard hike and there's no hurry so your Dad should be able to make the up and back with no probs. Allows you to get some "send off" shots at the sign on Springer.

Go for it !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't think it is very difficult. But it is all uphill to the summit and then downhill back to the parking lot (of course).

Don't know if that is helpful, but, well...

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Thanks guys!

PS - Squid, all info is appreciated!!

Section by Section
    Images

"Tell me about FS42"

It's long and bumpy and should not be traveled with a full bladder from 2 cups of coffee at Mountain Crossings. Experience talking here.
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

that's not something i'll take lightly, midway! somehow i'm 6'3'' 310 lbs and have the bladder the size of a walnut.

matthewskis single favorite road on earth. first thru attempt spent night there and made it a tradition. dad should hang out and do magic while you go to springer and back. trust me. its the at. its not smooth, easy, straight or level. honestly. dad can searve you hot food on your return. dont risk dads!
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big Cat View Post
    .... and have the bladder the size of a walnut.
    Ya sure that's not your prostate your thinking about????
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big Cat View Post
    I was thinking that it would be nice for my Dad to do that two mile round trip with me but wanted to know how tough that area is. My Dad has some health problems and can't do a tough two miler.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    It really depends on your evaluation of your Dad's ability. Hikers don't consider it tough but it could be, I suppose, for a person with a weak heart, etc.

In short, you are probably in a better position to judge it than us unless you are willing to give more information.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

The trail climbs fairly consistantly uphill from the parking lot to the summit, and it can be uneven and and rocky for pretty much the whole mile, with a few slick muddy spots. What you see in the first 100 yards from the parking lot is representative of the whole mile. I agree with Skids, you can evaluate his ability to walk it better than we can. And with Matt, take NO chances if there is any question.

PS: South is across FS42 from the parking lot, I've seen more than a few folks leave the parking lot headed towards Stover Creek and sheepishly come back thru the lot a few minutes later to head to Springer.
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

Again, thanks for the info guys:
    mweinstone: 'don't risk dads' funny, yet poignent at the same time.
    toolshed: doc says my prostate is fine -- but why do i feel the strong urge to pee after draining a 12-pack?
    skidsteer: well, what I do know is my Dad's ability, what I need to know is what the trail looks like ;-)
    briarpatch: excellent, desciption -- exactly what I was looking for. either way, my dad will be taking me to the FS42 lot. we can decide then depending on how it looks vs. how he feels.

PS - Thanks for the tip re: crossing the road. I have no doubt that I would be the one plowing through the wrong side of the woods.

++ New Posts ++