WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: SoBo 2008

Default 2008 Sobo

I was SOBO this year, but was forced off due to knee injury. I will be going again in 2008, although I am not certain if it will be SOBO again. If so, I will be there June 1.

Shout out to Warraghiyagey, Tortuga and Angel. The chill peeps I started with this year.

Peace,
    Naturejunkie (formerly hikerchris)

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    can anyone tell me how much cash on average one spends to do the AT? I know there are alot of variables that will sway the curve. i am looking for a raw number. I read once that it cost one guy about $1.10 per mile. Then i read also that one couple spent $9k for them both. I would like a good figure if anyone knows of one. I must stress, i am not a tight wad! just concened about being jobless for a few months.
    Snifur, when you go into a big, indoor mall, you might have "X" number of dollars in your pocket. How much of that you have when you leave depends on how much you choose to let go of. Malls have all sorts of great, interesting, delightful, even tasty offerings. Once you've got your gear in place, how much you spend thereafter is still up to you . How much does the average visit to a super-sized mall average in cost? Who knows.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

:banana Helloooooo?

Speak up SOBOs! Why so quiet? How's everyone's planning going? Anyone need advice? Represent! We have a reputation to maintain.

I am planning hiking May 2008. I am going to have about $5000 just to be on the safe side. Taking 4 months off from work and have been planning this for a couple of years. This will be a dream come true and at age 55 my family thinks I am crazy. I do a lot of day hiking. I have peaked Mt. Whitney twice and do it all in a day. I am definitely ready!!

:banana

I am planning to hike the AT May 2008. I want to start at Springer. Is this a good idea or bad idea. Don't know if it is better to start in Maine? Any comments.

Default Springer v. Katahdin

Starting at Springer is easier hiking, but much larger crowds. Starting on Katahdin is much harder hiking, but the crowds are much smaller. Depends what you are looking for in your hike. I think about 90% go NOBO and about 10% go SOBO generally, not including flip-floppers. I decided on SOBO because I was inspired by a SOBO journal I read and, time wise, it just worked out better.

sobo is the way i want to go, ever since i read waterfall's journal, have you read it? great read especially if you are a woman planning to hike on your own.

Another great one for girls is Tinkerbell's SOBO journal, from 2004 or 2005 I think. It is also just a great journal for any southbounder to read as it is loaded with information for SOBO'ers.

Images

Default Sobo

I'm still on track to leave O/A June 15th. My house is a mile from the trail, just down Cape Moonshine road, up on Atwell Hill. I'm planning on a major equipment switch and resupply upon reaching there. Other SOBOs might consider that too. I will keep posting until I depart for "K" in June 2008.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

formerly amazonwoman

My main reason for choosing SOBO is that I'm southern and I think that I would rather be in Maine in June and then walk South with the fall than to start in the spring in Georgia and face midatlantic summer. Summer in New England is much cooler (or less humid) and I do better hiking in cooler weather. I can handle VA, NC and GA in Nov-Dec. That's my home turf.

I’m with you Amazon woman! My son is planning a thru hike SOBO June 15th after graduating from college with two of his friends. I am planning to go along for as long as I can before having to go back to work. We are going SOBO due to the time frame but being from Louisiana I know all about the heat and humidity. It kills your endurance and just makes you plain miserable. Maybe we will see you there as one of his friends is female. It would be nice to know who he is hiking with after I leave the trail. I know he will be 22 years old, is a big man, and “raised in the woods” all his life but, parents can’t help but worry.

Hi I Think About 4k Is The Answer Gives Some Nights Of Motel 8 And Some Good Meals.. Dont Have To Spend All
    I Am Sobo Leaving About Mid June Have Done Katahdin Already But Might Consider Starting At The Top Again Or Just Abol Bridge I Go Very Slow Average 8 To 10 Miles A Day In No Hurry

Journal Entries

9 months until absolute freedom ! ! ! Fellow SoBoers it is closing in fast!

Quote Originally Posted by chip B View Post
    Hi I Think About 4k Is The Answer Gives Some Nights Of Motel 8 And Some Good Meals.. Dont Have To Spend All
    I Am Sobo Leaving About Mid June Have Done Katahdin Already But Might Consider Starting At The Top Again Or Just Abol Bridge I Go Very Slow Average 8 To 10 Miles A Day In No Hurry
    Be a darn shame to be that close to Katahdin and not spend some time with her to kick off your hike. Starting to look like I'll be there 1st week of June 08 again. Hey Chris . . . errrr, naturejunkie, got your start date figured out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Be a darn shame to be that close to Katahdin and not spend some time with her to kick off your hike. Starting to look like I'll be there 1st week of June 08 again. Hey Chris . . . errrr, naturejunkie, got your start date figured out yet?
    Same time, same place: June 1, 2008. And, your right about spending time on Katahdin. Nothing like spending time with that cranky @#&% bitch to send you down the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by naturejunkie View Post
    Same time, same place: June 1, 2008. And, your right about spending time on Katahdin. Nothing like spending time with that cranky @#&% bitch to send you down the trail.
    Or as my sweaty, completely exhausted and mentally drained friend said on the way down The Big K in a little easy and pretty area - "Hi, I'm Katahdin. Aren't I cute?"

I don't wanna wait another nine months to leave. I am feeling most impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by naturejunkie View Post
    I don't wanna wait another nine months to leave. I am feeling most impatient.

Fortunately, I'm techinically still on the trail. I'll be meeting my friends up in Pearisburg and finishing to Springer. Then back to Katahdin June 1 or so.
    Peace

Journal Entries

These 9 months should go by fast. lots of food prep still to do. Still testing gear options and working out kinks in planning. almost seems futile since i know once i get out there i am gonna end up winging most of it.

Images

reading this thread is making me wanna go back out again....Hmmm

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++