WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: SoBo 2008

Journal Entries

Default SoBo 2008

SOBO, Me->Ga June 2008, looking for travel partner either male or female, to hang for any or all of the trip. This will be my first attempt to thru hike the AT. Wahoo for me! Any one interested?

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

Default question 4 u

welcome snifur
    what is your target start date???

jeff

Journal Entries

Default SoBo Earliest June go.

Looking at 1 June 2008 but i am flexible. Start date prefered would be as soon as Baxter opens unless they can give me an early go departure. Do they give waivers?

formerly amazonwoman

I have been giving it a lot of thought lately and think that a '08 SOBO will be perfect. I see the opportunity for a break in the career between jobs. Snifur, keep in touch and maybe we can share transportation and/or hike together if we get along ok, I can be a witch when I'm cold/hot or hurting.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 07-16-2007 at 04:07.

Journal Entries

Good reason to partner up. When ur mood drops it helps to have someone there. Who knows, if u turn into a wicked evil trail witch, then that might be incentive 4 me to pick up the pace. LOL. Amazon, how long u been planning? I am all about sharing the trans, trek and stories, just dont touch my cup.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 07-16-2007 at 04:06. Reason: langauge

formerly amazonwoman

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    Good reason to partner up. When ur mood drops it helps to have someone there. Who knows, if u turn into a wicked evil trail witch, then that might be incentive 4 me to pick up the pace. LOL. Amazon, how long u been planning? I am all about sharing the trans, trek and stories, just dont touch my cup.
    Don't worry, I'm phobic about drinking behind anybody, even family, especially my family . And keep your hands out of my GORP baggie, that's just nasty too.

I've been dreaming of hiking the trail since I was 15 or 16 when I read a magazine article about it. I just can't seem to get my crap together to go do it. I'm single and have to pay the bills you know. I am sitting down this weekend and drafting a plan to get out of debt, save the money and start getting in shape. I know I've said it before but 2008 is going to be my year.

Julie aka Amazonwoman aka wicked evil trail witch
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 07-16-2007 at 04:07. Reason: language in quote

Quote Originally Posted by amazonwoman View Post
    . . . I can be a b*tch when I'm cold/hot or hurting.
    Hmmm. . . that's a tall order where the temperature is perfect the entire length of the trail and devoid of blisters and joint and back pain. I'd like to order one of those thrus myself.

Journal Entries

I have to be honest. Everyone talks of blisters, but i dont get them. i have gone out for 10 day treks and never got one. i wear ankle high nylon socks with woolies over them and it seems to work for me. joint and back pain tho i agree. The best way to mitigate that pain tho is with the right pack and boots. You will still be sore in the muscles but not as much pain. can you order perfect trail conditions? who do i place the order with?

formerly amazonwoman

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Hmmm. . . that's a tall order where the temperature is perfect the entire length of the trail and devoid of blisters and joint and back pain. I'd like to order one of those thrus myself.
    I know what to expect on the trail, my hike is bound to be like the rest of life. I will have great days and low days and I might even cry some days. I want to see what I'm made of. If I can do this I can do anything.

I originally planned a solo so that when I have low days no one else has to hear me complain or see me cry (not a pretty sight).

Julie aka Amazon woman aka evil trail b*tch

formerly amazonwoman

Reading back over that I should have added a smiley or something.... sounds kinda b*tchy... : D

Julie or AW or ETB

you cant be nasty sister. your sweet thru and thru. im thinkin i may start with you next february. thats if i change your start date to mine and invite myself and then dump you when i get my legs like i dump everyone after a few hundred miles. i like to start so slow then speed up after damascus. whats your start date if you go? and are you commin to trail days julie? ill be in camp riff raff.
    matthewski

formerly amazonwoman

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    you cant be nasty sister. your sweet thru and thru. im thinkin i may start with you next february. thats if i change your start date to mine and invite myself and then dump you when i get my legs like i dump everyone after a few hundred miles. i like to start so slow then speed up after damascus. whats your start date if you go? and are you commin to trail days julie? ill be in camp riff raff.

Hey Matty!

If you are hikin' with me we're going SOBO sugar. I've decided to go MeGa. I just don't think I could survive getting attached to you and then getting dumped. You've already stollen my heart...

I want to make Trail Days but work is really rough right now. I will try though. I guess I could call in sick for a few days... We'll see.

SOBO, Me->Ga June 2008, looking for travel partner either male or female, to hang for any or all of the trip. This will be my first attempt to thru hike the AT. Wahoo for me! Any one interested?
    Snifur-
    Wish i could hike it all, but work certainly gets in the way. Could possibly swing a week here and there... you know, just enough to get on your nerves and then i'd be gone. i'd better stick to the beginning of the hike or else i'd never keep up. good luck!!

dear juliewoman of amozonia,.........not only will you be pitching next to my tent at traildays, i also see you and me starting on katadhin and finishing in georgia. all is cool. just got done packing for traildays. im good to go. and can you please teach me how to be cool? i am so lame! i thaught we would start with how not to be a dufus. when i see you in damascus im gonna hug you pritty tight. it might hurt. be careful.i cant wait till we are together whenever that is. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxooxxooxoxxoxxooxoxoxmat
    matthewski

Journal Entries

Default not that im a tight wad

can anyone tell me how much cash on average one spends to do the AT? I know there are alot of variables that will sway the curve. i am looking for a raw number. I read once that it cost one guy about $1.10 per mile. Then i read also that one couple spent $9k for them both. I would like a good figure if anyone knows of one. I must stress, i am not a tight wad! just concened about being jobless for a few months.

Everything I've read has said about $2k pinching pennies and $3k with a suitable amount of luxury, with the biggest cost being food.

I could see $9k for a couple. Decent chain hotels quickly add up at $80-$100 ea, which some couples may want, and a night out can easily cost a couple $100-$200 if they're not drinking well drinks or domestic draft beer.

Best travel advice I know of: Take half the chit and twice the money you think you'll need.
    Last edited by EWS; 04-22-2007 at 06:26.

Default Hope to see you all there

My partner in crime and I will be headed SB starting in June as well. Also taking a break from careers etc - hopefully we will bump in to each other.

Journal Entries

EWS - Great advice. Been wagging $3-4k myself. My over seas travels have taught me the same- half the chit and twice the cash. With one issued duffle and a wallet of cash it is amazing how far one can get.

Mr. Owl, good to hear from u. Stay in touch! I am hoping that this thread will put the SoBoers of '08 in touch and provide some good info. If anything, we will at least know the names in the registry as we pass thru.

formerly amazonwoman

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    and can you please teach me how to be cool? i am so lame! i thaught we would start with how not to be a dufus.
    Come on Matty, you are like one of the coolest guys I know, you and The Dude. Can't wait to see you.

Julie

formerly amazonwoman

Default I'm thinkin' 4

EWS - Great advice. Been wagging $3-4k myself. My over seas travels have taught me the same- half the chit and twice the cash. With one issued duffle and a wallet of cash it is amazing how far one can get.
    I'm thinking about $4000 and breaking it down by the week. If I go over one week I'll shave it off the next so that I don't have to pull too tight at the end. I may eve budget more for the last two months so that I can splurge a little if my resolve is wearing thinner than my boot treads and I'm cold and need some warm gear.

Julie

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++