WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

Default Bromley Mountain Shelter (new)

This is a gorgeous new shelter ... built last weekend over two days. The trail crew was still there working when I stayed there. The shelter is located one mile south of the Bromley summit, facing west. It is huge -- could easily sleep 12 and they are planning to add a loft... It also has porch benches running along the two front sides and a nice butcher-block style table.

Water is a little bit of a downhill hike from the rear of the shelter in a spring. There were some concerns expressed that it might go dry on a dry year but the little well they had created was overflowing while I was there.

Privy is huge -- built to be handicapped accessible (trail crew said this was required because the shelter is on federal land, I guess.)

The Shelter was built in memory of Debby Edelstein (I believe, sorry if that's spelled wrong!) so I'm not sure if it will eventually be known as the Edelstein shelter or the Bromley Shelter.

(In addition the warming hut at the top of bromley remains open to hikers as well.)
    - Ivy

Images

Default Bromley mtn.

When I was passing near Vt 11 & 30 in mid Auguust we had heard the helicopters dropping the lumber for the trail crews. I was wondering what was going on. Now I know.....

Did they preserve the tenting area? We section hike each year and will get there next year. We like to put up the tent when someone is using the shelter.

The tent site is still there as well... the weekend I was there, the trail crew was either repairing or building new tent platforms.

- Ivy

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Poison Ivy,

What you saw was the LT Patrol and Manchester GMC section crews dismantling the old Bromley Tent site. Use of the old site is discouraged to allow re-vegetation in the area. Tenters are encouraged to use one of the four new tent platforms at the new Bromley Mtn Shelter.

Cin

Just another unwarranted shelter. Leave the AT alone.

Thanks for the answer on the tent sites minerva... When I hiked in, I did ask one of the crew members if the tent sites were still open and he said yes and that they were fixing them up. But he was working all day at the shelter, so either he didn't actually know or I misunderstood.

Sorry for the confusion everyone!

- Ivy

I worked on this crew, we dismantled the tent site because it was ruining the creek nearby. Not everyone is respectful enough to walk away from the water source before using the bathroom. The new shelter site is awesome though complete with a composting privy!

Thumbs up

Gerat shelter. The privy is awesome. It rained with lots of wind yet everybody stayed dry. I like the table and benches under the very large overhang. And pegs ... these were everywhere. I give it 5-stars.
    Last edited by Chenango; 10-01-2008 at 17:02. Reason: typos
    You are never too old.

Went through there two weeks ago on a week long trip. Nice design, good water nearby, and three good tent platforms spaced out on the hill above the shelter. Also, being in the area, a positive comment for the Mountain Goat in Manchester Center. Had a problem with one of my poles and they were able to replace the section on the spot after a repair failed to do the trick.

Question

oruoja - who is Mt. Goat? Is that the outfitter on Rt 11 as you head into town? I have passed by there, but never stopped in. Usually I hit EMS instead.
    You are never too old.

Images

EMS is next to the Price Chopper food store. Mountain Goat is further west across from the Northshire Bookstore.

Thanks. I will stop in there the next time I am in the area.
    You are never too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Just another unwarranted shelter. Leave the AT alone.

Highly doubt that it is unwarranted. Again considering, as you say, Benton Mckaye's "Flawed" vision of what the shelters are today.

Images

Just hiked by this shelter about 6 hours ago, stopped in to check it out. One of the nicest shelter's I have ever seen, great layout and people have been doing a great job of keeping it clean. Privy is real nice too...

Sounds nice, man I need to get back to New England for some hiking, its been way to long.
    Hooty GA2ME97

Images

Stopped by on July 26, 2010. All was in good shape with the shelter, privy and tent platforms. There are two single tent platforms and a two platform site for a total of 4 platforms. The spring is a bit of a walk down past the shelter but had water for treating available. I'll post some pictures in the VT section of the photos page.

Images

C'mon, folks - PICTURES! Where are the pictures??? Shelter, privy, tent sites...inquiring minds want to know.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Gorgeous shelter, and packed with 12 people last Saturday night. Also 20 scouts at the tent site. Good times.

5885593221_c9a9482b49_b_d.jpg

5885593723_bed8be8f0d_b_d.jpg

5886163818_0dcd6fd390_b_d.jpg

5885596613_30068d05d0_b_d.jpg

Lemme see now. This is remote enough to require air drops for lumber,
    but the privy has to have handicapped access due to Federal requirements.

That's the government I've come to know and love.

it does look sharp as all get out though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++