WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Infused oil

Default Infused oil

Infused oils are a great way to add flavor and calories to your meals. They can be a little expensive to buy, but are very easy to make at home. I would advise that you don’t use garlic however because there is a chance of getting botulism. To make some just warm some olive oil and pour into a clean container along with whatever you want to flavor the oil with, Then seal and let it set for about 2 weeks. When using herbs bruise them first so u get more flavor, you can also use hot peppers, or spices.

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Sounds like a good idea, but in reality how much oil will you be carrying at once? Do you want all your meals for the week to have the same oil-flavor? Or are you carrying different flavors in single-serving packets?

I might try this if I found (cheap) single-serving, 1oz or .5oz packets, but mostly I carry olive oil in a 6-8oz bottle. I'd hate to be stuck with hot-peppery oil every night for a week. I'd just bring pepper, garlic, or herbs separately so I could have a spicy meal one night, italian-seasoned the next, etc. That gives me a culinary flexibility that a pre-infused oil wouldn't.
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

++ New Posts ++