WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: What do you Carry for Protection on the Trail?

Voters
203. This poll is closed
  • Bear spray/Mace

20 9.85%
  • Firearm

16 7.88%
  • Hiking Poles

55 27.09%
  • Knife

16 7.88%
  • Nothing

93 45.81%
  • No Comment

3 1.48%
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    2005 Camino de santiago

Default What do you Carry for Protection on the Trail?

Self protection on the trail appears to be a controversial subject, but I wonder just how significant it really is. Please vote and let us all know.

Kinda a deceiving question, or maybe the answers are.

Do I carry a knife? Yes, but do I carry it for protection? heck no. It's only got a 1 1/2 inch blade or so. By the time I got it out of my pack, it would be too late to defind my self with it.

Do people really carry poles for protection? Or for some other obvious reason?

Images

I was thinking more like some prophylactics.

Unless one has taken the time and trouble to learn how to use them properly, "protection" aids such as mace, knives, etc. might help your peace of mind, but in fact, probably pose an equal threat to the owner. The single best tool for self-protection in the backcountry is simple commnn sense.

ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

When I started the AT, my father wanted to make sure that I had a big knife to fend off larger animals, such as wild boar. Truth is, unless whatever you carry is (1) immediatly accessable and (2) you know how to use it properly, you are probably better off without it. Clanging hiking poles together can be helpful in scaring off bears and other animals, but I wouldn't want to try and spear a black bear with my Leki.

-chomp

Images

I saw a fair number of people carrying pepper spray to fend off dogs. There seemed to be a lot of out of control dogs in the south, so this may have been a good idea for people who are not all that experienced in dealing with dogs. The personal sized ones usually come with their own belt pouch. By the way, don't entertain any ideas that personal pepper spray will affect a bear in the least.

Talking

I bet bear spray would get a dogs attention!

Glock 9mm

Default Leki Poles : Gun Simulators

Sometimes when I am being silly (or am down for whatever reason) I make my wife hold out her arms, I put the poles under her arms from behind, start making plane sounds "RRRRRRMMMMMM" then start the straffing run : "RAT-A-TAT-TAT-TAT" It always cheers me up!

I swear on my next thru hike we are going to do that coming into every shelter!

Gravity Man

Talking

Hiking staff, osage orange, no BELL.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

condoms....
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Default self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Unless one has taken the time and trouble to learn how to use them properly, "protection" aids such as mace, knives, etc. might help your peace of mind, but in fact, probably pose an equal threat to the owner. The single best tool for self-protection in the backcountry is simple commnn sense.

Jack is pretty close to dead on here.

If you are going to carry anything for self-defense, you ought to spend a bit of time learning how to use it.

Basic rule of knife fighting: Everyone gets cut, because to use your weapon on an opponent, you've got to get in close enough for them to use their weapon(s) on you. In a real knife fight between skilled combatants, the end comes real fast, and one goes away in a body bag and the other in an ambulance. A skilled fighter against an unskilled fighter is even faster.

Your best tool in any self-defense situation, is your brain. Learn how to spot trouble before it escalates into a fight and get the hell away as fast as you can. Unless someone else is in danger, or you have no chance of escape, running away is a perfectly reasonable way of surviving.

Of course if a fight is unavoidable, any weapon you can get your hands on is vastly superior to no weapons at all. Hiking poles, sticks, rocks, dirt, lit stoves, unlit stove fuel, pots of boiling water of hot food, a pack, your pocket knife (a 1.5 inch blade makes a bigger wound than your fingernails) keys, a spoon, a pen, a notebook, pine needles, leaves, etc. all become damaging or distracting weapons.

Look around yourself right now where you sit and see how many potential weapons you can find. Even relatively innocent objects may offer some defensive properties. Even a credit card can be turned into a single use knife capable of delivering a serious cut. Got a CD drive in your computer? Have a spare AOL disk hanging around? Break it and see how hard and pointy the shards are.

At various times and in various places, I have carried all of the tools listed above for defensive purposes. In daily wear, on trail and off, I carry a very sturdy, shaving sharp folding knife and I pray to God that I never have to use it defensively, but I'd rather have it than not.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Journal Entries
    Images

A staff for dogs and rabbid racoons. My wife (though technically I don't carry her) to protect me against myself.

Registered Troll
    Images

I'm not worried about people, but have used bear spray against dogs. Have also thought about carrying a small squirt bottle of ammonia for dogs, which I think would work pretty well. Imagine them getting a snout or eye full of that stuff.

Might also work against panhandling bears, even the really aggressive ones who've spent time bumming on the street of NYC.

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

Holy $#!t, 2 people pack heat on the Appalachian Trail?!?!

Anyhoo, I have a 1" long blade on my Swiss Army Knife, and my Hiking Poles. Having said that, I don't think I would ever get at my knife in time, and the wounds it would cause would be minor.

I'm the guy you'll see swinging his poles like a madman!

But... If I ever have the chance to hike in Glacier National Park or Alaska, I wouldn't think of traveling into the woods without a shotgun. But the AT is simply too domesticated with no real dangerous animals. Just don't step on a copperhead, and try not to chase blackbears.
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

Images

I rely on my wits which means I'm at a terribe disadvantage!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut
    I rely on my wits which means I'm at a terribe disadvantage!
    HA HA!!!

Like Jack Tarlin said common sense is best!! Streamweaver
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

you all forget to mention using your bear rope to choke'em with and then you tie'em up ....you'll be out in the wilderness and need to hold the offender still for a while... ..
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

LEKI 138cm defense specials. IMHO, if i ever ran into someone with a gun on the trail i would leave immediately and not look back. i dont care if youre a policeman or a soldier or whatever. no guns necessary. IMHO.
    walkon

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++