WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Lodging

Images

Default Lodging

We Will Be Stoping For The Nite In Kent ,conn. Any Loging There
    wolf

Logging or Lodging? Last time I checked, it was expensive. Holy uppieville.

Why not read the ALDHA companion for answers on services in towns?

Default lodging in Kent

CT is a Very expensive pace for lodging. If I recall.. Kent and Salisbury had nothing under about 100 a night.

Wolf, you may want to consider hiking into Kent from the shelter before spending the day there (gorcery store, outfitter, restaurant, shops) then moving on to next shelter.

Of course it is possible there are lodging opportunities I don't know about or maybe you can fine some kind soul to take you in!!!

David

Default Not QUITE as bad as this sounds...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    CT is a Very expensive pace for lodging. If I recall.. Kent and Salisbury had nothing under about 100 a night.

Wolf, you may want to consider hiking into Kent from the shelter before spending the day there (gorcery store, outfitter, restaurant, shops) then moving on to next shelter.

Of course it is possible there are lodging opportunities I don't know about or maybe you can fine some kind soul to take you in!!!

David
    1) The shelter just south of Kent is only about 0.3 from a paved road you can conceivably hitch to Kent from, or you can just walk the mile or so to town;

2) Maria McCabe hosts hikers in her house (runs a hostel there) in Salisbury for about 30.00 a night. I stayed with her when there last year, and think she was wonderful.

The two places I know of are:
    1 - Fife'n drum inn (860) 927 3509 $95 / room for 2 on weekdays, $123 on weekends
    2 - Gibbs House B&B (860) 927 1754 $100 / room for 2, $110 for loft (3-4 people)

Had not heard of Maria McCabes.
    Peace Be With You

Default Lodging

In 2000 they let us camp behind the Kent, CT town hall. The deal was to set up late in the day, be gone early and leave no trace. I think it was the outfitter that told us about it. The lawn we camped on was plush and comfy.

Is it possible to find a town to stay in every 4th or 5th day hiking the AT? I planning to hike the AT beginning May, 2008 and would like to get off the trail every 4th day if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by dvhiker View Post
    Is it possible to find a town to stay in every 4th or 5th day hiking the AT? I planning to hike the AT beginning May, 2008 and would like to get off the trail every 4th day if possible.
    Depends on how fast you walk and how far off the AT you don't mind hitching to. But, there are sections where towns will be more than 4/5 days apart.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dvhiker View Post
    Hot water and light switches?

The answer is generally yes, but to find the specifics, get the AT Data Book and the ALDHA Companion.

Most thru-hikers do resupply every 3 to 4 days. But there are sections where this is a challenge.

++ New Posts ++