WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Ray Way Quilts

Default Ray Way Quilts

I did some forum searches and came up with a few comments about the Ray Jardine quilt kits, but nothing directly relating to thru-hiking. I'm wondering if anyone has experience using the quilts on the AT for extended periods of time (thrus, sections, what have you). I'm especially concerned about their durability.

I'd also be interested to hear recommendations for the construction of the quilt based on temerpature ranges. In other words, how many extra layers would you recommend?

Finally (and thanks for sticking with me this far), Ray recommends having two quilts and switching out after an extended time on the trail, as the insulation compresses and loses a lot of loft over time. How necessary is this?

Thanks!
    Art
    ----
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    --- Swami Vivekananda

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Manach View Post
    I did some forum searches and came up with a few comments about the Ray Jardine quilt kits, but nothing directly relating to thru-hiking. I'm wondering if anyone has experience using the quilts on the AT for extended periods of time (thrus, sections, what have you). I'm especially concerned about their durability.

I'd also be interested to hear recommendations for the construction of the quilt based on temerpature ranges. In other words, how many extra layers would you recommend?

Finally (and thanks for sticking with me this far), Ray recommends having two quilts and switching out after an extended time on the trail, as the insulation compresses and loses a lot of loft over time. How necessary is this?

Thanks!
    I made a quilt with very little sewing experience just out of his "beyond backpacking" book and that thing has been a champ for over 4000 miles. I still use it, although it has lost some loft.

You couldn't buy a lighter bag. It's great. One modification I made is because it was for two people, I ripped a light fleece blanket and sewed wings on the side of it so it would tuck under our bodies without coming up and letting cool air in when we rolled around in sleep.

I don't ever see myself buying a bag, now that I know how cheap and easy they are too make, of superior quality.

About have two of them: I do have two. One for cold weather, and one for >40degree. But if you got a 20 you could do most 3-season travel no problem.

good luck.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

How difficult for a non-sewer to make?

Kit or from scratch?

Did you practice on the material before you let' er rip?

Images

PRACTICE!

The nylon is very thin and slippery; it takes a little getting used to. I had never sewn in my life 4 months ago and I managed to figure it out. I haven't made a "Ray Way", but I've made an underquilt for my hammock and a silnylon tarp. Stuff sacks are a great way to practice.

Luckily my wife is experienced with making clothing of all sorts, so I think she can handle it. Stuff sacks are always useful, though, so I'll suggest that to her.

Four thousand miles? I guess that says it for the durability issue. =o)

I'm a big buy, and I need a lot of wiggle room. That extra room reduces some of the insulating ability of the quilt. Any suggestions then on a target temp range? Ray says an extra layer takes it down to 10 degrees. Even given the extra space that sounds sufficient, right?
    Art
    ----
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    --- Swami Vivekananda

Quote Originally Posted by Manach View Post
    I'm a big buy, and I need a lot of wiggle room. That extra room reduces some of the insulating ability of the quilt. Any suggestions then on a target temp range? Ray says an extra layer takes it down to 10 degrees. Even given the extra space that sounds sufficient, right?
    I made the standard quilt over a year ago. He claims a rating to 40* I have used it quite comfortably down to that temperature, hanging in a hammock with a blue ccf pad below.

I have also used it on top of a 30* bag in temps down to the upper teens. Much less $$$ than buying a 10-15* bag.

I love my quilt. It is an easy project for a beginner (like me). It is very lightweight. The temp rating (for me, a somewhat warm sleeper) is right on.

Good luck!
    The necessities of life weigh less than 20 pounds. Everything else is a luxury.

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    How difficult for a non-sewer to make?

Kit or from scratch?

Did you practice on the material before you let' er rip?
    The hardest part is learning how to operate the machine. usually a good manual can solve that.

I made mine from scratch, but I recommend Ray's kits. The second hardest part I thought was cutting my fabric to the right size, making decisions on what's too bog or small. His kits eliminate that guess work.

The quilt is a very easy project. It's not much more than making a pillow case.

I think the best trick is measure right, plan well, and use a ton of pins so the stuff doesn't slide all over the place.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

++ New Posts ++