WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Springer Mountain Shelter

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Springer Mountain Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default Large

Can be somewhat cold in the winter if the wind is right. Picnic table, privy. Bear cable was installed New Year's Day 2002, that did not work as of April 02.

My friend Blueberry was sleeping there her first night on the AT. Hung her food on the cable. Around 2 am, Mr/Mrs Bear came by for a little snack. First night on the trail and all, she was scare to death. Made all the noises, etc the bear just continued to shake and shake the pole until the food bag was his. He sat right in front of the shelter and ate up Blueberry's food rations. Then after about 30 minutes picked up the bag and left. She managed to get a few oatmeal packets and a snickers.

Blueberry now dubbed BlueBEARy, met up with some guys who had the same thing happen to them that night at Stover Creek. They pooled what they had left for food and made it to Neels Gap.

BlueBEARy should be summitting any day now!!!!! And to think I was her mentor. The student surpasses the teacher!! Hammock Hanger
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

Smile

Hey Everyone I was up at the springer shelter today 4/7/04 and everything looks nice and clean. I ran into a maintainer I think he name was Glenn Reynolds great guy very friendly he said there had been 80 people up there this past weekend I saw 8 and only 1 nobo. The new privy is nice it has a great veiw too. Not to many leavs on the trees but there were some violets blooming. the FS 42 from the Ellijay side was all clear and was being scraped by the FS making a cleaner roadbed.

Waterbuffalo.
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Default Problem Bear at Springer

Was up at Springer Mtn shelter Friday night 4/23, spoke with the Caretaker, Gizmo. There were three packs taken in the last week, two off of trees and one out from under a guy's Hennessy Hammock. Per Gizmo's comments, none had food in them, so the bear appears to be associating nylon sacks with "food". Recommendation is to hang your packs along with food on the cables, and definitely stick to the established tent pads. Bear was apparently visiting every second or third night, we didn't see/hear him Friday night.

Default A cold, clear, muddy and lonely Springer Visit

Was up top on Springer 10:00am this morning (11/28/04) with my dog Cooper, and my wife. First time for me in many years. Temp was 37 degrees at FS42 and the view was hazy but clear. Lots of rain this week so the muddy trek was expected. Not a sole was to be seen on the top or on the way up.

All looked in decent shape. I didn't find a single piece of trash to carry out. There were a couple of canned beans on the shelter floor but I left them behind. The privy still looks new. Fire ring needs cleaning. Wish I had a shovel and a bag to carry it out.

We continued on to Three Forks by way of the BMT (which criss-crosses the AT two times) and returned to FS42 on the AT. A great day hike for those so inclined. Did see some other hikers out later in the day.

Happy Hiking!
    Last edited by FatMan; 11-28-2004 at 21:15. Reason: kant speel & abusive grammer

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan
    We continued on to Three Forks by way of the BMT (which criss-crosses the AT two times) and returned to FS42 on the AT. A great day hike for those so inclined. Did see some other hikers out later in the day.
    I really like that portion of the BMT. I've never met another hiker while on it, even when the AT has practically stop'n'go traffic in the Spring.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by deeddawg
    There were three packs taken in the last week, two off of trees and one out from under a guy's Hennessy Hammock.
    That was me in the hammock!! I was there on April 20th. Now i have bear tooth holes in my data book! (fortunately that was about the extent of the damage) The bear also came back and stole a sheet of tyvek out from under me after losing interest in the pack. What a great first night!

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Magnet
    That was me in the hammock!! I was there on April 20th. Now i have bear tooth holes in my data book! (fortunately that was about the extent of the damage) The bear also came back and stole a sheet of tyvek out from under me after losing interest in the pack. What a great first night!
    Magnet,

How far did the bear take your pack and how hard was it to find? I'm not even going to ask what it wanted the sheet of tyvek for.

Youngblood

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    I'm not even going to ask what it wanted the sheet of tyvek for.

Youngblood
    Around here tyvek is $50 per roll. A nice piece of that under you when you're hybernating feels real good.

Default Bear Pinata

I was there the night Magnet got his pack taken. Old Gizmo and everyone coming down the mountain told us about one mean bear and Gizmo asked us to stay in the shelter. Myself and Magnet both had hammocks, but I decided to stay in the shelter. When Magnet decided to camp out and hammock, Bluoo nicknamed him "Bear Pinata". The bear came to the shelter twice. The 2nd time, he was banging on the bear cables and trying to pull them out of the tree. I went out there and got about 15 feet from him. I was yelling, waving my sticks. (This is what one expert said to do) When I saw the bear was at lease 7 feet tall, and was not impressed with me, I decided it was not worth my life for a bag of food. The bear walked away and the next morning, Magnet came up to the shelter and told us what had happened and how he had spent the morning going around the area trying to find all his gear and backpack. If I remember right, the bear also bit into his rain pants. I know he was lucky as he also had a very nice 35 mm camera in his pack as well. It was an interesting way to spend the 1st night on the AT. What is interesting as well, is that I was on the trail for 6 months and never saw another bear.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Glee
    I was there the night Magnet got his pack taken. Old Gizmo and everyone coming down the mountain told us about one mean bear and Gizmo asked us to stay in the shelter. Myself and Magnet both had hammocks, but I decided to stay in the shelter. When Magnet decided to camp out and hammock, Bluoo nicknamed him "Bear Pinata". The bear came to the shelter twice. The 2nd time, he was banging on the bear cables and trying to pull them out of the tree. I went out there and got about 15 feet from him. I was yelling, waving my sticks. (This is what one expert said to do) When I saw the bear was at lease 7 feet tall, and was not impressed with me, I decided it was not worth my life for a bag of food. The bear walked away and the next morning, Magnet came up to the shelter and told us what had happened and how he had spent the morning going around the area trying to find all his gear and backpack. If I remember right, the bear also bit into his rain pants. I know he was lucky as he also had a very nice 35 mm camera in his pack as well. It was an interesting way to spend the 1st night on the AT. What is interesting as well, is that I was on the trail for 6 months and never saw another bear.
    Glee,

I've been a hammocker for last couple of years and haven't had any problems with bears yet. I have heard them come by at night and my buddies have heard them at times when I haven't. I'm surprised Magnet stayed with his hammock or even on the trail... a first night like that would tend to make someone change their plans, like forget about the hammock or just get the heck out of there period. Did that have anything to do with his trailname?

So, the bear wasn't impressed with you when you tried to run it off? I bet that was a strange feeling, when you realized the bear wasn't going to run off, that it was a lot bigger than you and that it was seriously looking for something to eat. What did you say to it when you decided to bail, "nice bear... I was only kidding ... can't we all just get along?"

Youngblood

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    Glee,

I've been a hammocker for last couple of years and haven't had any problems with bears yet. I have heard them come by at night and my buddies have heard them at times when I haven't. I'm surprised Magnet stayed with his hammock or even on the trail... a first night like that would tend to make someone change their plans, like forget about the hammock or just get the heck out of there period. Did that have anything to do with his trailname?

So, the bear wasn't impressed with you when you tried to run it off? I bet that was a strange feeling, when you realized the bear wasn't going to run off, that it was a lot bigger than you and that it was seriously looking for something to eat. What did you say to it when you decided to bail, "nice bear... I was only kidding ... can't we all just get along?"

Youngblood
    Nope... Just said "Bon Appetit".

I think Magnet got his name not only from the bear incident but also almost getting hit by lighting... Which happened to me as well as I guess many others out there this year... It was like almost an everyday event for the 1st 3 or 4 months...

Images

How far did the bear take your pack and how hard was it to find?
    The bear had taken the pack maybe about 200ft away. I found it by following the trail of debris consisting of some empty stuff sacks and my raingear (which suffered minor damage). The tyvek actually scared the bear away. Just as he was running off with it a gust of wind blew the tyvek in his face which caused him to bolt away.
    ...a first night like that would tend to make someone change their plans...
    Some friends asked me if i was concerned about the bears before i left. I told them that I almost hoped that something "big" would happen the first few nights. That if something happened and i survived, then i would be less concerned about bears afterwards. Yes, my logic might be a little skewed here but it was kind of like wanting to get it overwith early... or maybe that if something happened and i made out ok that i'd be able to say, "well that happened and i was ok, and it's not likely something like that will happen again so... nothing to worry about!!" And surprisingly perhaps, that is how i felt after this experience.
    Old Gizmo and everyone coming down the mountain told us about one mean bear and Gizmo asked us to stay in the shelter. Myself and Magnet both had hammocks, but I decided to stay in the shelter. When Magnet decided to camp out and hammock, Bluoo nicknamed him "Bear Pinata".
    Hmm... i remember hearing lots of this problem bear but i guess i should have paid more attention when Gizmo recommended we stay in the shelter "Bear pinata" was the first of several names i recieved... after several other encounters with wildlife i became known to most as magnet...

El Sordo
    Images

did the moot go away altogether or is it stil alive and planned for New Years on Springer? I'm kinda planning on going and trying out this hammock. Any other hikera planning on being there?

*** is a MOOT? There will be a gathering of hiker trash at Springer Mtn. shelter the evening of 31 Dec. Kill me quick please!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    *** is a MOOT? There will be a gathering of hiker trash at Springer Mtn. shelter the evening of 31 Dec. Kill me quick please!
    1. Why? You again' us HT?
    2. You got a preferred method?

Just hike.

Wife and I hiked up the approach trail to Springer a few days ago. Stayed at the Hike Inn on the way up and back. Two bear sightings by fellow hikers. One was about two miles north of the Falls and the other was about half way between the Hike Inn and Springer.
    Bugs were terrible at and around Springer Mt. and Springer Shelter but not everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    did the moot go away altogether or is it stil alive and planned for New Years on Springer? I'm kinda planning on going and trying out this hammock. Any other hikera planning on being there?
    Congrats Gene on setting the new record for the earliest mention of NYE on Springer.

Question... does the Springer Mountain Shelter have a loft for sleeping? It's been 16 years since I've been there and my memory is more than a little fuzzy about the shelter.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++