WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Pico Camp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pico Camp

Pico Camp with four bunks and a table is only .4 mile north of "Jungle Jct" on the Sherburne Pass trail which was the original AT/LT route until a few years ago. Seems that many use this route versus the relocation to get to the Inn at Long Trail at Rte 4. GMC plans to keep Pico Camp in place as the foundation has been shored up with new timbers as of '02.

Spanky MEPA '02, MEGA '08 spanky's Avatar

This the spot where I literally "ran into a bull moose" chasing a female in heat. Ah, the memories!

This is a four sided shelter tucked in between two ski trails on Pico mountain-overflow tenting on the trails, if you can find a spot that's flat enough! The front has a large plastic window with a fantastic view. I remember the spring being great and there being two privies, one an open-air and one enclosed. The trail down to Sherburne pass is pretty steep, remember to turn right on the next ski trail.

I don't know why they re-routed the trail there. Especially since the sign says they will keep the camp and old trail open forever. Unless your an ultra-purist and have to walk only the official white blazed trail and don't need to go to the inn, I'd say most take the old trail, as that puts you right at the front door of the Inn at the Long Trail and avoids nearly a mile of uphill road walking to get there!

I took the old trail when I went through there this last fall. Plus, you really miss some history if you don't go and see Pico Camp.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I don't know why they re-routed the trail there.
    So it wouldn't be on private land?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    So it wouldn't be on private land?
    Right. The ski area could decide to use the area that the old AT/LT passes through for expansion.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Right. The ski area could decide to use the area that the old AT/LT passes through for expansion.
    They moved the trail to the other side of the mountain to stop people from doing what they wanted with their own land on that side of the mountain.

Clyde

Images

I don't know why they re-routed the trail there. Especially since the sign says they will keep the camp and old trail open forever. Unless your an ultra-purist and have to walk only the official white blazed trail and don't need to go to the inn, I'd say most take the old trail, as that puts you right at the front door of the Inn at the Long Trail and avoids nearly a mile of uphill road walking to get there!

I took the old trail when I went through there this last fall. Plus, you really miss some history if you don't go and see Pico Camp.
    That road walk up the hill really sucked when it was raining the cars going by created so much splash i was wetter than i had been before when coming out the woods but the pulled pork sandwich at the inn made me forget it for the time being.

I don't know why they re-routed the trail there. .
    Reason I heard is the Killington ski area wanted to build a ski trail and road linking Pico with Killington. And ATC's desire to minimize such crossings. Yes, seems unnecessary to me also.

++ New Posts ++