WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Difference between 600 and 800 Fill

Whats the difference between 600 and 800 fill down? Is it just the weight? Basically if two bags are rated to a certain degree but one is 800 and one is 600, is the 800 fill bag likely to be more accurate or warmer?

I'm looking at getting a zero degree bag but I don't know if I have the money to spend on an 800 fill bag and I'm wondering if I can still get a good bag that is 600 fill and accurate.

MTS

Night and day. But it will depend on the specific bag, maker, and YOU. I've tried several variations, and finally settled on a Marmot 800 bag for cold weather.
    You want to stay warm, spend the money for 800 fill. Or, if you have the resources, try a whole lotta 600 fill bags rated to 0* until you find one that does the job. You don't have to spend $500, but you'll spend at least $200.

Check out this thread:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30611

Also search WB and all the online outfitters. And eBay.

Images

Hey, you linked me to my own thread, haha.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=460149

Rating accuracy varies among manufacturers. It is better to use ratings to compare within a manufacturer's offerings than to compare bags between manufacturers. Your better makers such as Feathered Friends, Marmot, Western Mountaineering, are more accurate in their ratings than you might find in a cheaper bag.

Many recommend the 600-fill Campmor brand down bags as a decent compromise between price, compressibility, weight, and warmth. But there is a huge difference between the best 600-fill and the best 800-fill--the 800 is much lighter for a given rating, more compressible, more expensive.

I would add that between a new 600-fill and a gently-used 800-fill, I would get the latter and wash it. You'd be much better off.
    Last edited by Appalachian Tater; 12-12-2007 at 23:24.

And Tater linked to one of my previous threads...what a community of knowledge....

Just a note, Tater, the campmor bag, while popular is 550 fill, not 600. Small difference maybe.

Images

If all other things were equal except the fill weight, the 800 bag should be lighter and compress into a smaller space than the 600 bag but they should be equally warm.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    And Tater linked to one of my previous threads...what a community of knowledge....

Just a note, Tater, the campmor bag, while popular is 550 fill, not 600. Small difference maybe.
    I wouldn't worry about a 50 unit difference when deciding between two bags of high quality (800 vs. 850), but you are starting to get into the lower end there. 50 units is a full 10% of 500 whereas it is only 6.25% of 800.

Also expect the better manufacturers to be more conservative when rating their down. What Campmor might call 550, Feathered Friends might call 500.

A bag, shelter, and footwear are the last places to skimp.

Yes, I agree. Thats why I went with the 800 fill Marmot bag over the campmor bag. I did try synthetic bags rated at the same temp as well as lesser fill bags at the same temp. You'll just have to keep trying until you find what works best for you, unfortunately. Some people sleep so warm that a 15* bag would be too warm for them even in 0*. Look for features like a shoulder collar, full length zip to help moderate temps.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Yes, I agree. Thats why I went with the 800 fill Marmot bag over the campmor bag. I did try synthetic bags rated at the same temp as well as lesser fill bags at the same temp. You'll just have to keep trying until you find what works best for you, unfortunately. Some people sleep so warm that a 15* bag would be too warm for them even in 0*. Look for features like a shoulder collar, full length zip to help moderate temps.

Misspoke here again. Depending on the bag manufacturer, rating will mean something different, this is another reason why you must experimentwith different bags from different makers until you nail it. Or just start at the top, invest in a top quality bag.

Images

Default Fill Weight

600 fill means that one ounce of down will fill a 600 cubic inch container.
    800 fill means that one ounce of down will fill a 800 cubic inch container. ect

Panzer

Default We have standards...

There is a European standard called EN13537. They publish four sets of ratings for a given bag, Upper,Comfort,Lower and Extreme
    So if you look at the European site of the vendor and you find two bags that have the same rating, they will keep you just as warm. Keep in mind that a bag listed as 0 c comfort rating is not necesseraly going to keep you warm at that, but it will be as warm as any other bag with that rating (with some minor variation because of personal preferences, as in you may feel warmer because the bag is red...)
    BTW the US 850 fill is about 750 in Europe...

Franco

Let's say you need about 15,000 cubic inches of loft for a zero degree bag. For 800 down, that's about 19 oz. For a 600 bag, that's about 25 oz. They should both be the same warmth, but the 800 fill bag will be MUCH more expensive, weigh 6 oz less, and compress more. So it's up to you and how much you will spend to save an ounce.

Both my 3-season bag and my 0 degree bag use 650 fill. There was a weight penalty of a few oz each, but each one cost less than $200. I have a limit of spending less than $10 for each ounce saved. Spending $100 more dollars for 6 less ounces does not work for me. But maybe your $ threshhold is higher!

Images

Default Do you trust them.

Can you trust these guys, when they say its 800 fill and they are charging you a lot more that a 600 fill bag. Is it really 800 fill. I mean does anyone ever pull the fill out of their bag and check it

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    Can you trust these guys, when they say its 800 fill and they are charging you a lot more that a 600 fill bag. Is it really 800 fill. I mean does anyone ever pull the fill out of their bag and check it

Panzer
    If you compare bags at the store you can feel the difference. Take a few bags and toss them up in the air and see how lofty they are in relation to their weight. Scrunch the down and see what it feels like and how it reacts. Once you compare a quality 600 bag with a quality 800 bag, the differences are apparent. Remember too that a lot of the weight in a high-fill down bag is the shell.

A manufacturer with a valuable reputation to protect ensures that you are getting what you are paying for. Some even test the down and fill their products here although the shells are made overseas, to control quality. There are a few large manufacturers and some cottage manufacturers.

++ New Posts ++