WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default No more clunky Crocs/Waldies type camp shoes.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Shoes...oesSS321?Args=

I just despise having to hang anything on the outside of my pack, but thats where my dirty 'ol Croc-knock-offs reside.

While thumbing thru the junk mail catalogs today, I found these cute little roll up gozmos... Says they weigh 7.5oz, but does not say which size that is for... Since they are slightly cheaper than Crocs, (but not as cheap as my fakes) I may give them to myself for a birthday present.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

How thick are the soles on these? I tried a pair of super-light mesh "boat shoes." But the soles were so thin that twigs would occasionally poke through. Ouch! Once I started hiking in trail runners, I didn't bother with camp shoes after that.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Guess it depends on how you intend to use them. I started off with mesh water shoes and found (like the previous poster) that the soles were too thin and that they got wet and stayed wet for quite a while.

What it came down to for me was that I wanted a lightweight shoe for around camp but also something I could wear when I was in a town or a hostel.

I went the whole way with Waldies and if I had it to do all over again I'd make one change ...I'd go with a water shoe from Payless called the "Connect"

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Camp Shoes

I had an old pair of Teva knock off sandles. I think they came from Walmart.
    They just worked fine and fit inside my pack when they were dry. When they were wet I would hang them outside until they dried.
    Grampie-N->2001

Are crocs any good for river crossings? Are they secure enough on your feet?
    NOBO starting March 16

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    I may give them to myself for a birthday present.
    When's your birthday?

Quote Originally Posted by walkinfool View Post

I've not had good luck with Crocs for crossings, especially once the sole gets a little worn down. I wear 'em loose anyway, and rushing water doesn't help anything.

Images

thin soles won't cut it for me since I suffer from plantar fascitis. I need the thick plastic sole of a Croc. It's the only shoe I have that comforts the pain. I Love my crocs....
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

I use mine for river/stream crossings. If you have the one that has the heel straps they will stay on. Mine doesn't so I have to be careful that they don't come off. They do float so maybe you can grab it before it floats away
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

[Lilred;473374]thin soles won't cut it for me since I suffer from plantar fascitis. I need the thick plastic sole of a Croc. It's the only shoe I have that comforts the pain. I Love my crocs....[/quote]

Lilred,
    What do you do for this? Do you have it constantly, or does it just flare up periodically? I, too, suffer at times and "taping" the bottom of my foot and stretching is the only relief. Absolutely cannot wear a soft sole shoe.

-Bolo

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

=================================

They weren't very secure for me. But the Payless SkyWalk "Connect" sandal is ...

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

ive seen plenty of raft guides work in one pair all summer long. great river shoe.

Images

I like shoes I can leave under the hammock and slip my feet in when I get out. I've seen those slippers at the LL Bean outlet and they're not much more substantial than socks.

WWW/Pennauwelwndam Gohkos / Donating Member
    Images

Kind of remind me of my water socks. Not to substantial in the foot bed.

Images

i like crocs for the kind of massaging affect they have after a long day of walking. the cushion is nice too. these look like walking around a camp might be painful if you step on something sharp.
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    [Lilred;473374]thin soles won't cut it for me since I suffer from plantar fascitis. I need the thick plastic sole of a Croc. It's the only shoe I have that comforts the pain. I Love my crocs....
    Lilred,
    What do you do for this? Do you have it constantly, or does it just flare up periodically? I, too, suffer at times and "taping" the bottom of my foot and stretching is the only relief. Absolutely cannot wear a soft sole shoe.

-Bolo[/QUOTE]

Bolo,
    Mine flairs up too. I'll be limping and in lots of pain and if I put on my crocs the pain and limp go away immediately. It really is amazing. My doc says it's cause of the hard thick plastic. Makes good arch support.

I also have a pair of custom orthotics. The kind that need to be warmed up and molded to your arch. Cost about $90, but you'll never need to get another pair, and they are formed to you. I had them fitted while wearing my hiking boots. My doc heated it, put it in my boot, and I tied it up and stood there for a few minutes as it molded. They work great. Also, if it starts hurting while hiking, put the arch of your foot on a root that's sticking up across the trail and just rock back and forth for awhile. That works too. I've heard of people taking a rope and putting it under the arch while pulling on the rope. The crocs are the best relief tho.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Is 7.2 oz pretty good for a camp shoe weight? It's 7.2 oz total or 3.6 oz for each shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    I just despise having to hang anything on the outside of my pack, but thats where my dirty 'ol Croc-knock-offs reside.
    I came across these camp shoes on ebay. They are rather heavy but I like the fact they can be folded for packing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Light-packable-c...QQcmdZViewItem
    TWS

Images

I got a pair a Sanuk sandals that weigh 16.5 ounces for size 12.
    They have a thick padded sole, uppers are made of canvas, pack very well and are very comfortable. Should make a good camp shoe.

Panzer

http://www.amazon.com/Sanuk-Mens-Vag...701394&sr=1-20

Images

Oh no. The dreaded double post....

Panzer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++