WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Two of my friends and I were actually considering doing the 100 Mile Wilderness over April break (18-28). Would this be more unsafe than a May attempt because the snow would be firmer for snow shoes? Or would it be a near impossibility. If this doesn't seem realistic, are there any other hikes we could do w/in the Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts area?

You guys make it sound like they are going to Alaska.....correct me if I'm wrong....but I don't think Shaw's would fly them to the trail head if it were that dangerous....correct?? And I believe they are going from South to North...so the hard part will be the early part

Images

One stream not to be messed w/on spring run-off...Big Wilson...wide and COLD as will be all water crossings even end of May. Leeman Brook comes to mind of a slate wall drop of say...6ft?.. going down and a jump across to climb back up same slate wall on the other side, if my memeory serves me right and that's on a warm summer day...will now be ice covered both sides...crampons/ice picks ring a bell?.... If you guys who are hiking between the next 2 weeks and first week of May, all I can say is we all warned you...if you need extracating, our local rescue team has to go in to get you...or what's left and they can find of you...I wouldn't want to be the one to get THAT bill! May I suggest a piece of blaze hunter orange to use for a signal if someone needs to find/see you by air? Like a vest or hat. Good luck, I'll keep my scanner on....
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Spanky MEPA '02, MEGA '08 spanky's Avatar

Let's hope all that warm air makes it to Maine before June 1st... at 5'5" tall; I would do an awful lot of "body hole" digging seeing the snow would be past my navel!

but I don't think Shaw's would fly them to the trail head if it were that dangerous....correct??
    Since when does Shaws "fly" people to trailheads?

Journal Entries

The woods on mid coastal Maine are pretty clear, but I had occasion to drive 20 miles inland this morning. The fields are open. The woods still have a foot of snow. That's about as deep as I can remember for this time of year. There was a foot of snow a week before I left in mid April in 1993. But that was spring snow falling on bare ground. This year we are talking snow pack.

I was working on a trail a little south of Monson a few years ago, when four hikers wandered by -- one barefoot and packless. She had taken her boots off to avoid getting them wet. She lost boots and pack. She asked, "where might I find my pack." All I could offer was "somewhere's between here and the ocean."

I think these hikers are going southbound. As I said before, if they manage to cross the streams by then, I would abandon the hike at the Jo Mary Camp Road.

To someone's question, I suspect an April hike with snowshoes would be easier than early May this year -- but not most years. But I also would want to check the woods well on my way to the trail head.

WEary

Images

Default Trail Report

Hey Wally, ask them for a trip report so you can figure out when to go in for the blowdowns!!!!
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

Not the 100 mile wilderness but......
    Took a spring hike yesterday into Saddleback area on the ME AT and thought some here might be interested in what its really like out there.
    Left RT4 and headed north to Piazza Rock Lean-to
    where I found 5'(feet) of snow in front of lean-to, it was at eye level standing on the ground in the shelter looking out!
    The morning hiking on snowshoes wasn't bad, the trail had been used about 5 weeks earlier according to an entry in the register so it had been packed which helped alot.
    Moving on toward Ethel pond I lost the trail a couple times due to lack of anything resembling a trail and blazes being at snow level much of the way.
    There is a solid 4 feet of snow everywhere out here and in places 5-6 feet and this is lower elevation hiking, 2'000 +-.
    Got up to Eddy pond, about 3 miles in and turned back. Took about 3 hours
    getting to here.
    On the way back snow conditions began to worsen as sun and temps warmed. Slipping off the previously packed trail meant sinking in mushy snow 1-2 feet at times. Mashed taters, cream of wheat, rotten snow are some of the terms used for these conditions.
    A Moose had rutted up the trail by the time I returned to the area below the lean -to and this made for some tricky shoeing in places. In one spot it looked as though he got stuck and struggled to get out leaving a massive crater in the trail. Poor fella.
    Anyways, tough going out there folks, gonna be awhile still......

Images

Great photos and report Woodsy. That's a lot of snow.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Thanks everyone for all of your input. We have decided to start a plan B. Anyone have any suggestions for a good 100 Mile AT hike South of Pennsylvania?

Images

Fontana Dam to Hot Springs (basically GSMNP + some) would be my choice, but you will likely be hiking with the later part of the NOBO thru-hiker herd. Don't know what time most thru's started this year, people start earlier and earlier every year, but an April 15 start is traditional and an early May hike starting at Fontana will certainly not be without some of the companionship of later starters and such. You could also consider Springer to Franklin, NC or starting at the NOC(Bryson, NC) to the end of GSMNP at Davenport Gap.

Another strategy would be to hike further north in the TN/NC or VA sections. Lots of good hikes all along the AT in that area. I'm not a local to there, so others here at WB may be able to steer you better in this.

You might want to post a new thread asking for suggestions for a southern hike, and give a list of particulars that are important such as avoiding the herd if that's a priority, spring weather/rain, difficulty of the section, scenery, water availability, etc.

I think I might have several plans in place(one for deep south, one for perhaps northern VA, etc) and go with the one that looked to offer the best long term weather conditions at departure time.

Whatever you decide have a great hike.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WalkinHome View Post
    Hey Wally, ask them for a trip report so you can figure out when to go in for the blowdowns!!!!
    Good one

Guess what? I am now on the next section south of you. Doughty ponds and Buck Hill to the Bray Road.

Images

Great pictures Woodsy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    FYI: I still have a 2-2 1/2 ft snow pack here at river level in Brownville, middle of the "100 mile wilderness" and 30 miles (south) from it, I will post updates on snow conditions as soon as I can for up here. Am checking on snow pack this weekend if all the woods operators have shut down for mud season yet in Jo-Mary area. I don't want to fight log trucks just to check on snow conditions as the dirt roads are very soft! But I can tell you right now, it's deep! We're losing a lot daily here w/the 50 deg. days we are having, but will be dropping back into the 30's again end week. It's going to be a late spring.
    There is nothing as much fun as trying to get a truck out of a mud rut when said truck is resting on it's frame and the exhaust pipe in blowing bubbles through said mud. Not that I've done that.

Default great plan B

Quote Originally Posted by pjrudy22 View Post
    Thanks everyone for all of your input. We have decided to start a plan B. Anyone have any suggestions for a good 100 Mile AT hike South of Pennsylvania?

I'd go for Shenandoha National Park. You get 100 miles of beautiful woods, easy well laid out trail, awsome well designed tent sites and shelters, and I bet you'd have nice blooming flowers! Should take you 5-6 days.

David

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pjrudy22 View Post
    Consider 2 shorter hikes, one in Mount Rogers NRA and another on Roan Highlands if you are willing to travel that far.

Save Maine for later. Hike from Monson to Chimney Pond north of Katahdin in early October.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    I'd go for Shenandoha National Park. You get 100 miles of beautiful woods, easy well laid out trail, awsome well designed tent sites and shelters, and I bet you'd have nice blooming flowers! Should take you 5-6 days.

David
    considering what this guy has expressed he wants, i dont think this is a good recommendation.. there are a ton of people in shenandoah, always near the road, waysides, etc etc

grayson highlands, or anywhere from roan highlands to the smokies would be good

Images

Default Warning!!!

Quote Originally Posted by walkin' wally View Post
    Good one

Guess what? I am now on the next section south of you. Doughty ponds and Buck Hill to the Bray Road.
    Don't be poaching my blowdowns now LOL!!
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

Images

Maybe I will get to meet you at the MATC meeting in Farmington today.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by walkin' wally View Post
    Maybe I will get to meet you at the MATC meeting in Farmington today.
    Just an addendum related to the 100-mile-wilderness question.

Our corresponding secretary at annual meetings -- our only membership meeting of the year -- each year reads humorous excerpts from letters he receives.

Today he read several, which produced the usual chuckles. Then he read a letter he picked up just today, which started: "I want to hike the 100-mile-wilderness this May..." The 120 attendees exploded in laughter.

Weary

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++