WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Youngin' on trail. HeartoftheTrail's Avatar

Default Was wanting to get a new pack..

Has anyone ever tried a military backpack, as in the ones our troops use in present day warfare?

Just thought I'd see considering I could get one somewhat cheap at a surplus store.
    Go all the way there, come half way back.

Go on amazon.com and check out the Kemyer 7100. This is a great pack for the money. Features on it you won't get with a pack costing $250. to $300.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb2b View Post
    Go on amazon.com and check out the Kemyer 7100. This is a great pack for the money. Features on it you won't get with a pack costing $250. to $300.
    IMO, at 7100 cu in and 7 lbs empty, more than a little oversized and heavy for an AT hike of any duration, and better suited for a winter or other expedition where other than hiking gear(video, hunting/fishing, etc) is being carried.

I really like UL gear as a way to reduce weightand volume - but not "by any means" such as materials that are marginal and no load support/transfer. I need and require a full suspension system even in a smaller pack for medical/spine reasons, but anything over 4lbs empty is simply too heavy. There are a lot of really good packs with good frame/suspension systems in the 2 to 4 lb, 2700 to 4000 cu in category that are far better choices for AT hiking than a 7000 cu in 7 lb monster. Heck, 7 lbs is pack, sleeping bag and pad for me and I'm hardly a "gram weenie", and there are many who have pack, bag, pad, and shelter under that 7 lb weight.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. YMMV, HYOH, YADA...
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartoftheTrail View Post
    Has anyone ever tried a military backpack, as in the ones our troops use in present day warfare?

Just thought I'd see considering I could get one somewhat cheap at a surplus store.
    I think you'd do better scouring ebay and this site for a lightly used brand name pack designed for civilian backpacking. Military gear, including all the ALICE, MOLLE, etc packs, is designed with a different pupose in mind, such as heavy load carrying(ammo), ruggedness/durability in battlefield situations, jumping, etc. There are a lot of articles on the web about civies using these packs, but there is a lot of talk about modification needed(that costs money) to make tham as comfortable as those designed for civilian backpacking purposes.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartoftheTrail View Post

To answer your original question, the general concensus seems to be that the military packs are overbuilt (too heavy) and may do for short trips but are far from the best option for longer trips as they are designed more for durability than comfort.

++ New Posts ++