WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I like the Ex Officio Amphi convertibles best, because:
    • They are very comfortable
    • They are extremely durable
    • They have lots of practical pockets
    • They have a nice mesh liner in the crotch (like a bathing suit), so I can skip wearing underwear and stay cooler in that region
    • The zippers are very easy to use, even after 6 years of hard use
    • They weigh 14 ounces for size large men's
    • Windproof, dry fast
    Here is a link: http://www.backcountry.com/store/EXO...Pant-Mens.html. You might be able to find a better price on line somewhere, of course.

Regards,
    Marty

Images

If price is a deciding factor, these Columbia ones at Campmor might do the trick:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

Although I got my REI Sahara ($55) ones on sale for $35.

Here are two alternatives not yet mentioned - find a local Boy Scout supply store in your area. These are usually a corner or a back room of some business that supports Scouting. Try on the "Switchback" pants. They are very durable, quick drying and light weight. i think they are about $40. You don't need to be a Scout to buy/wear them. These also include a belt that is nice/lightweight.

While in Atlanta last week i went into a KOHL's store for the first time ever. They have convertible pants for $25. They don't have they ankle zippers so if you buy some that are too long, they should be easy to hem (unlike the Scout Switchbacks that have ankle zippers and can't be hemmed).
    Enough is OK, too much is just right.

Images

heard bad things about the columbias and TNF's new convertibles. supposedly really crappy material/construction

No, money really isnt a factor. I never have a problem paying extra for quality. I rather buy them once for $70 than buy them twice for $35.

I forgot that there was a store in Marlton. I'll have to check them out sometimes, never been there.......

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    No, money really isnt a factor. I never have a problem paying extra for quality. I rather buy them once for $70 than buy them twice for $35.
    I try to get Ex Officio on sale but you're probably better off buying two pair of the Campmor brand at the same time.

I ended up going to EMS and picking up a pair of their EMS Profile's. After trying on a few pair I found these, comming in at 14.2oz its not that bad. They seem to be pretty comfortable also. Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it.

Images

Hope they work out well for ya!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorsMan View Post
    While in Atlanta last week i went into a KOHL's store for the first time ever. They have convertible pants for $25. They don't have they ankle zippers so if you buy some that are too long, they should be easy to hem (unlike the Scout Switchbacks that have ankle zippers and can't be hemmed).
    The Kohl pants are 70% cotton. Fair warning.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlam View Post
    I've never had them fall off or spontaneously combust on me. Unlike my last pair of pants.
    ok... i've waited long enough for someone else to take the bait... here's a quarter... now what's the rest of the story?!

Thanks for the heads up with the Kohls pants. This is my first pair of full nylon pants and to be completely honest they felt a little wierd and seemed as if the material was sticking to the lower half of my legs from static energy or something lol but I can live with it. I was going to get the EMS Surplus pants which felt a little better but they were well over a lb and like 60% cotton so I passed. Im pretty sure Ill be happy though, they feel really nice just as shorts though.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut View Post
    I am very pleased with Columbia Brand - I bought 2 pair at Bass Pro in Macon on sale.

DoughNut
    Amen. I have a bunch of Columbia items, including a few pair of convertable pants, worth every penny I've spent Columbia is my prefered brand
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Images

Bass pro carries a brand called World Wide Sportsman. They usually have two, sometimes three models ranging in price.

About four years ago I bought six pair of the high end convertibles made from Supplex. They're still going strong. Unfortunately WWS seems to have altered the cut of these pants and the latest version doesn't fit me near as well. Too tight in the thighs.

They still seem to be a quality product however so I thought I'd throw it out there.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind View Post
    North Face Paramount. I mention them becuase they hold up forever and if you can find them in "New Taupe" they hide being dirty. I have a couple pairs of zip offs and like them all but the NF Paramounts seem to be my favorite.
    I have the older TNF ones, not sure the name, but they gotta be 10 years old and are still going strong. They are a light grey tho so look dirty all the time. They also are longer than most as shorts. I don't do daisy dukes.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I have Campmor, REI, and Columbia lighter-weight - of the three Campmor is the best IMO. The Columbia are cut in a way that makes them ride up on women with some 'junk in the trunk' and the REI zippers jam a lot. The Campmor never rides up, zippers work reliably and they come in size Fluffy Dino

Images

i've been trying on some convertible pants the past week, and the annoying thing to me is that when i zip off the leg, the shorts seem to be shorter than i'd like (i'm picky about this!). the only ones i was able to try on so far were two different types at EMS and TNF (didnt like the feel of the material of the TNF ones). The longer EMS ones weren't too bad, but they seemed a bit bulky due to more zippers and velcro on the thighs with more pockets than i need!!
    I'm looking for Columbia ones to try on...hopefully i find em soon!!!

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

The Campmor women's pants have a longer shorts inseam than most - hit me about 2/3 of the way to the knee in the long length (I'm 5'10" and have a 32" inseam) These come in 29" 31" and 33" inseams with shorts inseam 6.5"

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    The Campmor women's pants have a longer shorts inseam than most - hit me about 2/3 of the way to the knee in the long length (I'm 5'10" and have a 32" inseam) These come in 29" 31" and 33" inseams with shorts inseam 6.5"

Is that good or bad?

PS> Nevermind: Read the previous two posts.

I've been real happy with the EMS convertibles. Light, dry fast, roomy and secure pockets.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++