WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What Katadyn system is the BEST???

I am going to be purchasing a new purification system and I really like the Katadyn brand. Anyone recommend one over the other?

i just bought the vario. it's a bit bulky but at 2 liters a min i don't care and you can screw your water bottle right on the bottom

Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

We use the Hiker Pro with the Platy bladders and have never had a problem with it. The little attachment thing they have for filling bladders while they are still in your pack is a must.
    Pyro - Bringin' the heat! '11 Safety Tribe firestarter

2011 - Springer to Pearisburg

Katahdin Vario is one of the best filters I have used. Get a good 3 days use out of it in relatively clean water before field maintaining it....

One of the easiest filters to completely pull apart and put back together....and it offers you many options, it screws to the top of most bottles and has a hose that can attach to the bottom and then to the inside of any bottle or bladder. We are extremely happy with it.

Images

I have a Katadyn Mini Ceramic, the unit filters down to .2 microns, it's light at 7.5 oz., and compact 7" X 3.5" . The only neg. IMHO is, it is slow at approx. .5 qt/min.
    The journey of 10,000 miles, begins with the first step.

it's really hard to break the hiker. i've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    it's really hard to break the hiker. i've tried.
    you gotta ride him harder.

oh, well. i'll try again and get back to you.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Chevrolet is the "best".

The vario is the best all around in my opinion.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."~ John Muir, Author and Naturalist

Images

I've used a HIKER PRO for the past 3 years so I can't comment on the other models. I can say that I have had no problems. I've replaced the filter twice. Once due to use and the 2nd time due to mold. The mold was my fault when I forgot to take it apart to dry after a section hike and it sat for 2 months. The flow rate may be slower than some of the newer models but it's never seemed too slow to me. My guess is it filters about 1 litre/min.

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

what about a steri pen...ive heard they are good....im just starting and also have been reading and trying to learn how to clean dirty water

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    oh, well. i'll try again and get back to you.
    don't forget pics so we can critique your technique.

just tryin' to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty Dog Virus View Post
    I've used a HIKER PRO for the past 3 years so I can't comment on the other models. I can say that I have had no problems. I've replaced the filter twice. Once due to use and the 2nd time due to mold. The mold was my fault when I forgot to take it apart to dry after a section hike and it sat for 2 months.
    Heh, I had to replace my filter on mine for the same reason. I'm still using the Hiker, but I bought mine when the "Pur" company was selling them.

One thing I do each year is relubricate the o-ring with the silicone lubricant I got from Katadyn; when it dries out, it adds a *lot* of friction to the pumping process.

Thank you guys soo much! This is exactly what I was wanting to know. But Lazy River Road said something about the Steri-Pens. Any of you all ever use one? Im not to sure I would like it but I have been know to change my mind once or twice....

++ New Posts ++